Indiana Science Olympiad

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Postby eak227 » January 22nd, 2009, 5:37 pm

Well hey, congrats on getting a team together at all! Best of luck at regionals.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

kmeister87
Division: C
State: IN

Postby kmeister87 » January 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm

Regionals weather? There are occasionally years with tons of snow and it seems like many years we have one or two big (over an inch) snowfalls and that's it. Northern Indiana probably gets hit harder.

And to DarkDwarf-- wow, trying to find a sponsor in middle school after our old one moved away was difficult, even with lots of interested students. Establishing a new team altogether? Kudos to you, I hope regionals goes well (and remember a lot can happen in two weeks.)

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby eak227 » January 22nd, 2009, 10:05 pm

And even more will happen the night before the competition... you'll get everything running perfectly by 4 AM, only for it to break during the actual competition.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

phertinaelli

Postby phertinaelli » January 23rd, 2009, 12:22 pm

ah yes.

that happens a lot.

its the bus ride.

its gotta be.

heh.

i live in like central indiana[north of muncie if that helps]

right now though the weather's getting more tolerable. :)
There has been a tornado reported in your area.

Recommended procedure:

GTFO!

events this year:
Fossils
Dynamic Planet
Remote Sensing
Technical Problem Solving

dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dickyjones » January 24th, 2009, 8:47 pm

So how are teams coming? What regionals are people going to and what events are people doing?
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11

adam124218

Postby adam124218 » January 25th, 2009, 2:04 pm

My current opinion is that our team is doing well, but, as everyone knows, it's hard to judge before regionals. There are those events where it's sort of unclear what to study and then in things like picture this, it's really hard to judge how good is good enough.

Bloomington North Varsity is going to Purdue and JV is going to Vincennes.

At Purdue, I'll be doing Forensics, Chem Lab, Herpetology, and Junkyard Challenge.

dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dickyjones » January 25th, 2009, 7:06 pm

I'm currently not that confident about our team, but that might just be because I'm comparing it to last year's team. We did pretty well at invites (especially considering our team), but that competition wasn't run that well so I'm not sure how well it could be compared to other invites or be used as a barometer of how good our team is. And our builds (minus bridge which is always fine) aren't that amazing yet. So we'll see...

Valpo A is going to IUN, and Valpo B is going to Purdue Cal.

At regionals right now I'm doing Chem Lab (conflicts w/ cell :| ), Ecology, Herpetology, and Enviro Chem.

Very tentatively, I'll (hopefully) be doing Cell Bio, Ecology, Herpetology, and Enviro at state. And I might do Eggo if I ever decide to finish the one that I started building like 3 weeks ago. Isn't that cell bio/herpetology conflict at state annoying, adam?
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11

yayo91

Postby yayo91 » January 25th, 2009, 7:25 pm

our team will be going to Purdue Cal...Its gonna be a pretty intense regional if you ask me. We now have lake central coming to our regional, and we have no idea how well they perform in their events. Not to mention munster and whiting will be there too. Hopefully we perform well enough to go to state again..

Valpo Towers and Trebs

Postby Valpo Towers and Trebs » January 25th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Our team is doing alright so far (same school as dickeyjones). We are coming along better than I thought we would since some underclassmen have stepped up to help make up for all the seniors we lost. Bottle rockets is the only building event I'm really worried about and we haven't launched the last 3 weeks cause it's been so cold.

At regionals I'm doing Tech Prob, Physics Lab, Astronomy, and Trajectory

At State I'm probably doing Physics Lab, Astro, It's About Time, and Tech Prob

I'm also building for bridge and bottle rocket but most likely won't be competing
you stay classy, planet earth!

adam124218

Postby adam124218 » January 26th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Isn't that cell bio/herpetology conflict at state annoying, adam?
You mean Chem Lab/Herpetology? Yeah, it is annoying, but whatever. I'm going to do herpetology--I enjoy chem lab, but I'm not that committed to it. We have other people on our team who probably belong in the event more than I do (people who are in AP Chem--I couldn't take it this year because of scheduling issues).

What's really problematic for us is the Forensics/Fossils/Junkyard conflict. Not only am I in forensics and junkyard, I have the same partner on those events, and he's also on fossils. So that's a problem we'll have to work out (soon).

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”