dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by dickyjones »

Congrats to Bloomington North! You guys better get at least top 10 at nats again. Or at least continue the VHSSO curse and get 11th. :P If you need any tests/resources in ecology or herp just ask since I have a ridiculous amount of stuff lying around on my computer. I was also very impressed with Bloomington South. It's too bad only one teams going on such a competitive year.

Our day was somewhat bad...probably the worst I've ever done. Within the first five minutes of competition eggonaut had bombed (if either rocket's parachute had decided to deploy or if my primary rocket hadn't blown away 4 days before, it probably could've gotten 1/2). Herpetology was sort of a disappointing (but well-written) test. There were like no crocodiles, lizards, or frogs (except for the tadpoles) and ended up being like 50+% salamander. Ecology was okay, though we got the time wrong and left 25 minutes before we had to. :) And enviro chem was enviro chem. I knew I was not going to medal as soon as I saw someone competent was running it; I really needed a long written test with a lot of calculations and soil chemistry that you don't technically have to know to have a chance. But it's a sunk cost, so oh well. Overall most of the (non-building) events were run well. And it was a pretty fun day considering.

I feel like I've experienced pretty much all SO has to offer by being on two ridiculously good teams (gotten 3 nats medals!), two teams that just missed nats due to one or two failures, and one team that did absolutely no work but had a ridiculous amount of fun. It was a pretty fun five years overall.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
Friedoyster3
Division: C
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

virage wrote:i think munster plans on working this year.

why do i only have one post? i had hundreds before..
Well that didn't exactly happen because Wilber Wright got 3rd(9 points from 2nd, 20 from 1st)
and Munster high got 4th (the bridge was finished the day before)
Also most people played starcraft instead of working
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
Friedoyster3

Post by Friedoyster3 »

jcms science boy wrote:
blondmmgirl88 wrote:Riley and Carmel will be up there in C as well. And what about WWMS in B?! They're bound to be in the top 3 at least.
i forgot about WWMS. they are medal bound team as well
Yeah WWMS got 3rd
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
Quinjamincy

Post by Quinjamincy »

How many words did you guys get in Pic This? At all of the competitions we have gone to we've gotten first in it. At state we got 10th with 5 words. I'm just curious to know how much we got beat by.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Are you from Riley? If so, our picture this people were worrying about you guys. Valpo's team got 2nd with 12 or 13 words.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

Anyone know if the results have been posted online yet?
izzy

Post by izzy »

My partners and I got 1st in picture this (I'm from Munster). We weren't sure how many words we got, but we thought it was about 13.
And for "not working" Munster got prettty close to 3rd place haha. But congrats to everyone, and good luck to bloomington north :)
Doggalina

Post by Doggalina »

Friedoyster3 wrote: Well that didn't exactly happen because Wilber Wright got 3rd(9 points from 2nd, 20 from 1st)
The difference between us (MHS) and 5th was about the same as between us and first. We were like 8 pts away from 3rd, 14 away from 2nd, and 28 away from 1st. 5th place was about 25 or so pts away (I don't know the exact score).

Bridge was a game-time decision. We had a design that we knew wouldn't do well, but it'd be solid (it got 12th). We also had a new, untested design made by a girl who was in her first ever year of Science Olympiad. It was made with an arch, but it wasn't exactly even.

Overall, I'm pretty proud of everybody. Sure, we could've done better (I personally did worse than last year, despite actually medalling this year.) Everybody had better watch out for Munster next year. Our team was carried by juniors and sophomores this year, so the core of our team is only going to mature and get better.
Friedoyster3

Post by Friedoyster3 »

Doggalina wrote:
Friedoyster3 wrote: Well that didn't exactly happen because Wilber Wright got 3rd(9 points from 2nd, 20 from 1st)
The difference between us (MHS) and 5th was about the same as between us and first. We were like 8 pts away from 3rd, 14 away from 2nd, and 28 away from 1st. 5th place was about 25 or so pts away (I don't know the exact score).

Bridge was a game-time decision. We had a design that we knew wouldn't do well, but it'd be solid (it got 12th). We also had a new, untested design made by a girl who was in her first ever year of Science Olympiad. It was made with an arch, but it wasn't exactly even.

Overall, I'm pretty proud of everybody. Sure, we could've done better (I personally did worse than last year, despite actually medalling this year.) Everybody had better watch out for Munster next year. Our team was carried by juniors and sophomores this year, so the core of our team is only going to mature and get better.
yeah i now i'mon the WWMS team
kmeister87

Post by kmeister87 »

dickyjones wrote:Congrats to Bloomington North! You guys better get at least top 10 at nats again. Or at least continue the VHSSO curse and get 11th. :P If you need any tests/resources in ecology or herp just ask since I have a ridiculous amount of stuff lying around on my computer. I was also very impressed with Bloomington South. It's too bad only one teams going on such a competitive year.

Our day was somewhat bad...probably the worst I've ever done. Within the first five minutes of competition eggonaut had bombed (if either rocket's parachute had decided to deploy or if my primary rocket hadn't blown away 4 days before, it probably could've gotten 1/2). Herpetology was sort of a disappointing (but well-written) test. There were like no crocodiles, lizards, or frogs (except for the tadpoles) and ended up being like 50+% salamander. Ecology was okay, though we got the time wrong and left 25 minutes before we had to. :) And enviro chem was enviro chem. I knew I was not going to medal as soon as I saw someone competent was running it; I really needed a long written test with a lot of calculations and soil chemistry that you don't technically have to know to have a chance. But it's a sunk cost, so oh well. Overall most of the (non-building) events were run well. And it was a pretty fun day considering.

I feel like I've experienced pretty much all SO has to offer by being on two ridiculously good teams (gotten 3 nats medals!), two teams that just missed nats due to one or two failures, and one team that did absolutely no work but had a ridiculous amount of fun. It was a pretty fun five years overall.
Cell bio test... 30 multiple choice questions on a SCANTRON, 75% of which were off-topic? What did everyone else think?

This year's competition as a whole was WEIRD. At awards, we'd accepted that we weren't going to win about halfway through (I'm from North) based on what medals we were getting. People were laughing crazily at the situation, people were crying, people were making plans for all the strange new free time we'd have without S.O.... They announced South as second and everyone was trying to figure out who had beaten them, and then they announced North. It was really, really, really bizarre, and the fact that it all came down to them throwing out trajectory... I know that South is trying to appeal to get a berth to Nationals, and I really hope they get it.

Meanwhile, we'll be extremely grateful for this serendipitous opportunity and working our butts off to get a trophy for Indiana (and, of course, to beat South fair and square if they win the appeal.)

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”