Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by Deeisenberg »

So the only high school going to nationals from Indiana is Bloomington North?
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
kmeister87
Division: C
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by kmeister87 »

inuyashakusho wrote:So the only high school going to nationals from Indiana is Bloomington North?
We'll see, based on how the appeal turns out.
Quinjamincy

Post by Quinjamincy »

Did Bloomington south make an appeal about Trajectory since they would have gotten first if it counted?
chzlover3

Post by chzlover3 »

izzy wrote:My partners and I got 1st in picture this (I'm from Munster). We weren't sure how many words we got, but we thought it was about 13.
And for "not working" Munster got prettty close to 3rd place haha. But congrats to everyone, and good luck to bloomington north :)
Do you remember any of the words? I was in it too.
All i remember was Cloud Computing {wtf?}, Erlenmeyer flask, static, simple machine, virus, angiosperm, antibody, abyssal plane, dioxyribonucleic acid, cathode, ?, ?, ?, iteration, mastication?

Which do you remember getting correctly?

Also, do you know why they took out a word?

Also Also :P, WHAT WAS WITH THE PAPER TOWEL WRITING?? CHEAP!!
"They misunderestimated me." -Bush

"Oh the potential of one word"
-Adam, after WIDI.. ugh.

Mex-Connection...If only you could BEGIN to comprehend..

"The stirring rods are where the stirring rods are."
- Mrs. Salomon
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Ooooh, chzlover, I was wondering why you posted in Astronomy. Are you the other Mexican? :P

The 2nd place team is the first alternate if any other state doesn't send a team to nats, so I wouldn't be that suprised if Bloomington South got to go even without the appeal. Good luck to them though, they amazed me this year. When everyone else (*cough*us*cough*) was sucking it up, they were still continually meddling.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
izzy

Post by izzy »

chzlover3 wrote:
izzy wrote:My partners and I got 1st in picture this (I'm from Munster). We weren't sure how many words we got, but we thought it was about 13.
And for "not working" Munster got prettty close to 3rd place haha. But congrats to everyone, and good luck to bloomington north :)
Do you remember any of the words? I was in it too.
All i remember was Cloud Computing {wtf?}, Erlenmeyer flask, static, simple machine, virus, angiosperm, antibody, abyssal plane, dioxyribonucleic acid, cathode, ?, ?, ?, iteration, mastication?

Which do you remember getting correctly?

Also, do you know why they took out a word?

Also Also :P, WHAT WAS WITH THE PAPER TOWEL WRITING?? CHEAP!!
haha okay soo here's our list that we remembered:
electrophoresis, literary (mbe it was iteration and i misread it?), caldera, virus, nebula, erlenmeyer flask, lithosphere, pinocystosis, sublimation, cloud computing, angiosperm, acceleration, spark, deoxyribonucleic acid, masticate, simple machine, doppler effect, antibody, abyssal plane, chromosome, and integrated circuit

i bolded the ones we got..there were most likely others we just can't remember haha. we actually had a minute left at the end...
& nope, idk why they took out a word, they wouldn't tell us anything at all lol. and yea i couldn't believe they made us use paper towels....a little odd! :lol:
chzlover3

Post by chzlover3 »

dickyjones wrote:Ooooh, chzlover, I was wondering why you posted in Astronomy. Are you the other Mexican? :P

The 2nd place team is the first alternate if any other state doesn't send a team to nats, so I wouldn't be that suprised if Bloomington South got to go even without the appeal. Good luck to them though, they amazed me this year. When everyone else (*cough*us*cough*) was sucking it up, they were still continually meddling.

Aha! I've been caught...
"They misunderestimated me." -Bush

"Oh the potential of one word"
-Adam, after WIDI.. ugh.

Mex-Connection...If only you could BEGIN to comprehend..

"The stirring rods are where the stirring rods are."
- Mrs. Salomon
swimmergurl43091

Post by swimmergurl43091 »

Hey so I'm from Bloomington South and we were all wondering if anyone knows why trajectory was taken out? We were told it was because students didn't get their graphs back and that the even was confined to a small area, but the state coordinators won't tell us any real reasons why. I don't know if any of you filed a complaint, but it would be extremely helpful for us to know why it was taken out. All of the things that they told us are things that would have affected all teams equally (just like the paper towels for picture this) but picture this did not get thrown out. We'd just really like some feed back to figure out what happened with trajectory and/or other events (like write it/do it) and to hopefully help our chances at receiving a berth to nationals.

Also do you guys at Valpo or Carmel know what happened with Write It/ Do It? It seems highly unlikely that 3 of the top 5 teams would be the last three teams to place in that event. I mean it is possible that we placed that low, it just seems really weird that all three of our teams placed that badly.

Thanks to everyone
Bloomington High School South '09
Events: Health Science, Remote Sensing, Dynamic Planet
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Scores are up here. pigeon...half of an inch of parachute is what kept us from nats. Oh well.

I don't think our WIDI people were terribly surprised at getting last. They can post for themselves though. Personally, I don't think WIDI should ever count towards a team's score. :P The whole tournament wasn't that well run though. (I mean the junkyard people wanted to let the people choose which challenge to do at the beginning of the day I hear!) I personally agree with you that Trajectory should have been counted (even though that was our third bomb), and you should have gone to nats, but there's not that much you can do about it. Personally, I think they should completely redo state...but this time well. :P That's obviously not gonna happen though.

Best of luck on going to nats! Hopefully, Hawaii or DC will decide not to send a team and everything can work out smoothly.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
kmeister87

Post by kmeister87 »

Why trajectory turned out the way it did... I heard that some of the teams who should have been put down to second tier weren't, and people who should have been on first were put down to second. At the end of the day, the results were so convoluted that the whole event was thrown out. However, that's not first-hand information, so there could be more to it than that. Apparently a few teams appealed it, but we weren't one of them so we don't know the exact reasons that were listed. Good luck with your appeal!

Also, state is supposed to be at IU next year unless something changes between now and then, so hopefully none of this test and building event weirdness will happen.

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”