Texas 2009

andrew418
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2009

Post by andrew418 »

LASA leaves tomorrow afterschool. We're feeling good about our chances, and we want to thank all you guys from Texas for the great year of competition and the enthusiasm for us at nationals. We'll try not to dissappoint.

Thanks y'all,

Andrew
LASA 2009; UC Berkeley 2013
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

andrew418 wrote:LASA leaves tomorrow afterschool. We're feeling good about our chances, and we want to thank all you guys from Texas for the great year of competition and the enthusiasm for us at nationals. We'll try not to dissappoint.

Thanks y'all,

Andrew
really.....we're taking a bus and leaving thursday at 4, and driving through the night :lol: :lol: :? ....mainly because some members on our team have to take the world history AP exam, including me!!!
srsvball95

Post by srsvball95 »

LASA, congrats for getting 8th at Nationals :D

As for Cy-Falls, Kelly Lane, and Kealing, they haven't posted the full results with the scores yet

But I'm sure that you guys did great :D

Once again, good job to everyone :D
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

i think i heard kealing quite a bit
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

Congratulations to LASA, Cy falls, Kelly Lane and kealing for the impressive performance at Nationals today. I watched some of the building events via the live coverage, and kelly lane did amazing at robots. and congratulations for getting 8th at nats lasa, i know you didn't meet your goal, but you did really well
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
sciolykid101
Division: C
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

Great job to LASA. They sat right in front of us! :)
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
Quark

Post by Quark »

Thanks for all of the support. (I'm from LASA). Kealing got 18th, 2 places higher than last year, which is great, considering that they bombed robot (60th place). They did get 7 medals. The people they have doing it are good at robotics (they are on the LASA robotics team :) ), but had never driven the robot in a competition or even done a practice run on a course (I think). I don't know if they even had it working before the trip there. So the robot died. I don't know the details, but it broke somehow.

We were hopeful with our engineering events, but there were a lot of catastrophes. Someone fell on trajectory, something broke EV during the second run, after miscounting the 1st, and the arm of the Time pendulum got bent. Still, we are really, really thrilled with the results (So close to Mentor!).

Sciolykid: I was talking to a few people from your team. You guys seem really nice.

So next year, our goal is to get the whole team on stage (so we have to be in the top 5 or 6). Of course we're going to go for 1st though ;).
LASA.
andrew418

Post by andrew418 »

We all are extremely excited about our finish, and I think our team will have a very good shot of doing greater things at nationals in the future.

The day before nationals and the day of were possibly the most stressful of my sci-o career, because during those 2 days, 5 out of our 6 engineering events had a crisis of some type. 3 of them ended up going well (Egg-o-naut got 2nd) and 3 did not do so well, so we'll call it even...

But in the end, we did make our goal and we got a trophy, even if it is not as high as we had been hoping. It still looks very cool and distinctive. It now sits right next to our state trophies, and even though it is about 1/4 the height of them, it represents months and months of effort.

Congratulations to Kealing, they did amazing! I think they had a total of 7 medals (LASA got 6). Had they been a little more consistent in their other events, they could have been way up there too.

Cyfalls, it was really cool to get to share a homeroom with you guys, even if it was a little cramped. I saw some of you guys playing cards with some of our team, which is good to see. Its good for Texas teams to stick together.

Kelly Lane, I didn't hear much about how you did, but I heard you got a medal in robot. If so, congratulations on your first nationals medal!

And thanks to everyone from Texas for your support, you all are great!
LASA 2009; UC Berkeley 2013
srsvball95

Post by srsvball95 »

andrew418 wrote:Its good for Texas teams to stick together.

I have to agree with you on that. I think that texas teams should be friends rather than enemies- competitions are so much more fun that way if you are interacting with the other teams. I'm not sure if i've already posted this but I think that we should have some kind of get together at state each year that way we can interact with the other teams. I only really talked to kids from riverwood and woodcreek at state because A) A lot of the Woodcreek kids went to Beckendorff last year and we know them pretty well and B) I've pm'd some of the kids from riverwood (and woodcreek) here on scioly and we wanted to meet at state.

It would be nice to mingle with other teams, too and I think that way, we'd be able to bond better with the other teams and make texas one of the science olympiad powerhouses next year along with ohio and michigan and new york.
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
Quark

Post by Quark »

In homeroom, we were playing cards with Cy Falls. It was interesting because they play completely different games than we normally do. One of them taught us how to play this game called palace. It took a while to figure out what was going on but was quite fun.

It would be really cool to meet more teams at state. Perhaps something could happen at some point on Friday each year? Thursday is way too hectic with everyone arriving, and Saturday is filled with academic events. I never really talked much with other teams while in B division, but this year I realized that getting to know other people makes the competitions much more interesting.
LASA.

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”