eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Massachusetts 2009

Post by eak227 »

Woo, go Cambridge!! I wish I could help with SO somehow... where/when is the state competition (there aren't regionals are there)? Maybe I can get in touch with that place and help out at the competitions somehow.

Edit: PS: The MA state site is absolutely pitiful and completely useless as far as getting info about much of anything...

Good news though. State is the first day of my spring break. So I could do that for a day, then head off to wherever I'm going.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

That wound be wonderful eak!! I dont know much about division C since i'm in B but SiegeLord could probably tell you about C. The division B competition, which is held at assumption college in Worcester [about 25/30 minutes west of cambridge] is VERY POORLY RAN. I dont even know where to begin with that. Hearing from my team mates most of the events did not follow the rules. The event supervisors were unaware of the rules. The reach for the stars event supervisor had to ask me what we were allowed to bring and i noticed that some teams had binders full of stuff so i simply replied "one sheet of paper" the other teams gave me nasty looks :lol: In amphibians i heard that the first place team brought TWO field guides. I did not see this myself as i was competing at a different time but a coach from another team told me this and i'm not surprised at all. My best friend did Metric Mastery. He told me that the event supervisor asked them to estimate the weight of a clamp IN POUNDS. I heard from another person that this is not the first time the US system was used instead of the metric system. For WIDI every team got a different object to describe. My team mates told me that they got the hardest object.. figures. Isnt every team supposed to get the same object? Dont even get me started about scrambler. I went into the gym that the building events are held in for just 5 minutes with eathousemd. She decided to go over and talk with another school. When she got back she told me that she saw the scramblers. I was curious about scrambler since i knew i'd be doing that event next year so i asked her what the stopping distance was. She replied "three meters". I thought it was supposed to be like over 7 or something like that? If i remember correctly the gym was covered in this rubber carpet stuff which is awful to run a scrambler on. Also, after looking at the score sheet i noticed that one of the top teams at my state received last place. This team would never have a rule violation and there are other teams that entered that i know always have rule violations. I have a feeling the people running the event did not know about rule violations. While i was in the gym i saw one team fly their BLG. This was a team that ranked pretty high in this event. The BLG looked like it had a wingspan of around 80 cm and it was also a bi-plane. This may have been their second plane that they decided to fly to wow the audience after their flew their qualified plane but i doubt it. I no longer trust my state to run fair events. I will now have to run my scramber under several variables such as rubber floring, and illegal stopping distances.

ok rant over. it could have been longer but i decided to be nice
Last edited by Pleiades on December 26th, 2008, 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

anyone going to the invitational on saturday? I'll be doing reach for the stars and meteorology.
eathousemd

Post by eathousemd »

Hey eak!
Do you remember me? I'm the kid you got angry at for putting some AP exams that I'm too young to take over scioly. Sorry about that.

If you go to the state meet in MA you might see me. I'm Pleiades's personal cheerleader/pack mule. I'll probably be hanging around the gym watching the wheels go round and round. hehe.
Hugs n' kisses,
Go Red Sox :mrgreen:
GO GALVIN MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!!!!
my 08 events:
Anatomy - 2nd place
Amphibians and Reptiles - 2nd place
Food Science - 5th place
these were fun.
09 events: blown off due to the tenor saxophone. I love to play the saxophone!
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

ah, so you are going!
eathousemd wrote: I'm Pleiades's personal cheerleader/pack mule.
lol i get my own cheerleader? thanks :D i feel special
mynameisbillybob

Post by mynameisbillybob »

i lied guys i am actually from massachussetes I am sorry for any trouble that i may have instigated. I was merely commenting on the fact that i was born in Florida.. Note: I AM NOT AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT FLORIDA IS IN THE UNITED STATES!!!111!
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

oh really? What team are you on?
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

mynameisbillybob wrote:i lied guys i am actually from massachussetes I am sorry for any trouble that i may have instigated. I was merely commenting on the fact that i was born in Florida.. Note: I AM NOT AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT FLORIDA IS IN THE UNITED STATES!!!111!
Well your post was deleted anyway so not a problem
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”