New York 2009

htmlfreak
Division: C

Re: New York 2009

Postby htmlfreak » February 8th, 2009, 8:38 pm

thats pretty intense for pi day.
We set our alarm so that at 1:59pm we could full enjoy it. I had just gotten off the elevator.

I love pi.
3.14159265358979323846264338327 not rounded!
not 1:59 am? :D :D :D jk jk

btw cheezwiz u can prolly compile the teams going based on the team numbers for division C states on newyorkscioly.org. i bet theres a lot of 1-5 rankings on this forum that u can fill em in.
2010 Events:
Disease Detectives
Picture This
Experimental Design
Mission Possible
Chem Lab

Sheogorath
Division: Grad

Postby Sheogorath » February 8th, 2009, 8:39 pm

No because if it was rounded it would be 28 because the 9 would round up the 7 to an 8. Because I left it as a 7 it was not rounded.

And I should be starting to compile a states team list tommorrow.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2

htmlfreak

Postby htmlfreak » February 8th, 2009, 8:41 pm

from eastern LI our sumo guy came from a late event. i think he made it within the two minutes. actually i have a question tho. do they start penalizing if you don't show up during the two minutes or after it? cuz i remember making an event very close to the starting time...so do they penalize u, even a little bit?
In SumoBots, the rules say that a competitor had 90 seconds to report for a match, or two minutes if crystal changes are required. If they aren't ready, they forfeit that match. Did your guy take a forfeit?
our guy didn't forfeit. he made it within a minute or something. thats weird...the judges said 2 min for our regionals, and i dont think we had to change crystals...well i wouldn't know anyway. wait what are changing crystals? :shock:
2010 Events:
Disease Detectives
Picture This
Experimental Design
Mission Possible
Chem Lab

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Postby gh » February 8th, 2009, 9:46 pm

No because if it was rounded it would be 28 because the 9 would round up the 7 to an 8. Because I left it as a 7 it was not rounded.

And I should be starting to compile a states team list tommorrow.
FYI, that's calling truncation. We'd be grateful if you would post the states list when you're done. :)
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

Flavorflav

Postby Flavorflav » February 9th, 2009, 3:06 am

from eastern LI our sumo guy came from a late event. i think he made it within the two minutes. actually i have a question tho. do they start penalizing if you don't show up during the two minutes or after it? cuz i remember making an event very close to the starting time...so do they penalize u, even a little bit?
In SumoBots, the rules say that a competitor had 90 seconds to report for a match, or two minutes if crystal changes are required. If they aren't ready, they forfeit that match. Did your guy take a forfeit?
our guy didn't forfeit. he made it within a minute or something. thats weird...the judges said 2 min for our regionals, and i dont think we had to change crystals...well i wouldn't know anyway. wait what are changing crystals? :shock:
As the guy who said it, I can assure you that I said 90 seconds unless a frequency change is required. Because the impound area was in the adjoining room, I didn't start the time until the competitors were in the impound area. If the weren't in the room, however, I started the time when the other team went into impound.
Crystals are the little things in the transmitter and receiver that allow them to talk to each other on the same frequency. If the two Bots are operating on the same frequency, one of them has to change. If the Judge (me) says you have to change frequencies, then you get another 30 seconds to prepare. There were a few teams who did not report when called, but I'm pretty sure none of them ever showed up and they were all 2nd tiered anyway for having only one channel.

Sheogorath

Postby Sheogorath » February 9th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Does anyone have the Adirondack Regionals results?
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2

ScienceIsMyLife

Postby ScienceIsMyLife » February 9th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Sorry I'm not from NY obviously, but how many words did you get on pic this?
I didnt do it, but on our team, we got an awesome 9 out of 25 words (*cough* Htmlfreak passing on Osmosis and infiltration *cough*). Somehow, that netted us 9th place. Which is weird.
it's okay. the number one team in my region only got TEN. my team got nine :)
we might have actually gotten ten if i didnt totally and completely forgot how to draw "fission". we had a picture for all the likely terms and i know we HAD a drawing for that, but...basically, i panicked.
I <3 SciOly

2009: 5th Picture This
2008: 3rd Environmental Chemistry
2006: 3rd Disease Detective (Div B)

Rosh93

Postby Rosh93 » February 9th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Sorry I'm not from NY obviously, but how many words did you get on pic this?
I didnt do it, but on our team, we got an awesome 9 out of 25 words (*cough* Htmlfreak passing on Osmosis and infiltration *cough*). Somehow, that netted us 9th place. Which is weird.
it's okay. the number one team in my region only got TEN. my team got nine :)
we might have actually gotten ten if i didnt totally and completely forgot how to draw "fission". we had a picture for all the likely terms and i know we HAD a drawing for that, but...basically, i panicked.
Yep on my team we got 8 terms right out of 25 for picture this and placed third. (I'm not in that event, I just know how many my teammate said they got)
So it seems like the competition over here in Western NY isn't as intense as down south :lol:
~ Trajectory 2nd ~ Physics Lab 1st ~ Mission Possible 6th ~
Western New York 2010 Regionals

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » February 9th, 2009, 2:01 pm

At the same competition, we got 7th with 7 words. So there must have been a lot of teams with 6 or 7 words (that wasn't my event either, so I don't know what the tiebreakers are).

cmousseau

Postby cmousseau » February 9th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Does anyone have the Adirondack Regionals results?
Hi, I'm new to this forum, actually new to Science Olympiad! I am one of the coaches for Plattsburgh High School, an Adirondack team. I do not know the complete results, but I do know the top three teams and scores, these are the teams that have been invited to West Point. I am proud to say our team took first!

1st - Plattsburgh High School - 78 points
2nd - Potsdam High School - 92 points
3rd - Watertown High School - 95 points

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”