fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2009

Post by fmtiger124 » March 27th, 2009, 7:56 am

Flavorflav wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:Yeah, WM had a few bombs (mostly tech, and, um...env chem *cough*), but we did well enough in the other events to make up for it.
Last year, it seemed like competition for the top 3 or 4 was fiercer than this year, but the top 10 were spread out more.
Just the top three. As I said, you guys beat the fourth place team by 160 points, which is a lot more than separated you from FM last year. Also, you were down a bit across the board. Dropping your four lowest events this year gives you an average finish of 8.3. Dropping the four lowest from last year's still gives you 7.3.
Phenylethylamine wrote:The question for us is, do the results from C have any bearing on the B competition? Are trends there likely to show up in ours as well?
I don't think there is any reason to think so. In fact, I would say that you guys look pretty safe. MidState does not post their results, but your other principle competitors (aside from Eagle Hill and Wellwood) are usually C.J. Hooker and C. P. Weber, neither of which looked that impressive at their regional, judging from the score sheets.

My money is on Gelinas #1, Eagle Hill #2, and I would be surprised if Murphy did not make the top five.
I had the Mid-State results on paper, but i lost them-I don't have a scanner anyway so i dont think it matters-I can tell you our top two total scores though(our regional drops the two lowest scores fyi)Eagle Hill 36pts Wellwood 52 pts--I think the non drop scores were(no gaurentees here) Eagle Hill 49pts and Wellwood 71 pts also I wouldn't forget about at states--Brother Fox Lane School(at least I think thats the name of it) I thought they had Eagle Hill beat last year, but their non medal events had a lot of 20 somehting's.
Also flavorflav where do you think Wellwood will end up?

pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing » March 27th, 2009, 10:08 am

The thing is, Brother Fox Latin School didn't even make states this year.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 » March 27th, 2009, 10:27 am

pjgscioisamazing wrote:The thing is, Brother Fox Latin School didn't even make states this year.
Really? Bad Graduation Year I Guess

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 » March 27th, 2009, 1:45 pm

fmtiger124 wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:The thing is, Brother Fox Latin School didn't even make states this year.
Really? Bad Graduation Year I Guess
smartkid222 wrote:because last year bro fox came in 6th at states and this year they came in 8th at regionals. they were good rivals. + they got a new coach this year, so it might not be entierly the kids fault (NOT trying to insult anyone, i just assume that a more experienced coach would prob do better than a first timer)
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

zhaos
Division: C

Post by zhaos » March 27th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Flavorflav wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:Yeah, WM had a few bombs (mostly tech, and, um...env chem *cough*), but we did well enough in the other events to make up for it.
Last year, it seemed like competition for the top 3 or 4 was fiercer than this year, but the top 10 were spread out more.
Just the top three. As I said, you guys beat the fourth place team by 160 points, which is a lot more than separated you from FM last year. Also, you were down a bit across the board. Dropping your four lowest events this year gives you an average finish of 8.3. Dropping the four lowest from last year's still gives you 7.3.
Exactly as I see it. I do not think this year's team is as strong as we were last year. I still however, have faith that we can do well if we work hard at it. Last year at states I wished I could have erased 3 of our events. This year there's really five events that I wish I could erase but even without those five events our average is still lower compared to last year.

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine » March 27th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Last year at States, you had reason to want to erase those events... this year, they didn't hurt you enough to be a problem.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav » March 27th, 2009, 5:27 pm

fmtiger124 wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:The question for us is, do the results from C have any bearing on the B competition? Are trends there likely to show up in ours as well?
I don't think there is any reason to think so. In fact, I would say that you guys look pretty safe. MidState does not post their results, but your other principle competitors (aside from Eagle Hill and Wellwood) are usually C.J. Hooker and C. P. Weber, neither of which looked that impressive at their regional, judging from the score sheets.

My money is on Gelinas #1, Eagle Hill #2, and I would be surprised if Murphy did not make the top five.
I had the Mid-State results on paper, but i lost them-I don't have a scanner anyway so i dont think it matters-I can tell you our top two total scores though(our regional drops the two lowest scores fyi)Eagle Hill 36pts Wellwood 52 pts--I think the non drop scores were(no gaurentees here) Eagle Hill 49pts and Wellwood 71 pts also I wouldn't forget about at states--Brother Fox Lane School(at least I think thats the name of it) I thought they had Eagle Hill beat last year, but their non medal events had a lot of 20 somehting's.
Also flavorflav where do you think Wellwood will end up?
Honestly, I don't know enough about your competition to evaluate those numbers. I don't know how many events you ran, how many teams competed, or what the level of competition was. I feel like I can draw some conclusions from a scoresheet - for example, I knew Spackenkill was looking weaker this year (although I had no idea how much weaker) because their regional victory was not that impressive at 75 points. If the W.L.I. winner emerged with 75 points, I would bet on them to beat FM.

Glacierguy1

Post by Glacierguy1 » March 27th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Maybe a more accurate statistic would be average % of teams beaten per event, so a team that got 2nd in every event in a division of 5 would be equal to a team that got 10th in every event in a division of 25.
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav » March 28th, 2009, 5:15 am

That would be better than straight # of points, but it would need to be adjusted for the difficulty of the region. Southern Tier and MidHudson are approximately the same size, for example, but averaging second or third in S.T. is more impressive than averaging second or third in M.H. because S.T. usually has three highly competitive schools, while M.H. generally just has the one.

fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 » March 29th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Flavorflav wrote:That would be better than straight # of points, but it would need to be adjusted for the difficulty of the region. Southern Tier and MidHudson are approximately the same size, for example, but averaging second or third in S.T. is more impressive than averaging second or third in M.H. because S.T. usually has three highly competitive schools, while M.H. generally just has the one.
and you know all this how??

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”