Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2009

Post by Phenylethylamine »

blue cobra wrote:Actually, I believe Car of Tomorrow and Sumo Bots are both pilot events, because I am pretty sure pilot events are just like trial events, only building, and trial events are academic. Anywho, I am extremely excited about helicopters, not that I necessarily live in NY, internets! *shifty eyes*
EDIT: I posted before I clicked your link :oops: . Next time I should reverse that order :D
Given your edit, I assume you realized this, but just to clarify: Trial events count toward your score and must be done by team members, while pilot events don't count toward your score and can be done by anyone in the school.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Yep - NY has never had a "pilot" event as far as I know. "Trial" events are the same as regular events in essence. "Pilot" events seem to be events that don't count.
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

Now is there any limit as to the amount of 'teams' from each school are allowed to compete in this new pilot event. It seems to be that anyone from the school can compete and doesn't have to be on the team. I wonder because alternates can compete in trial so it seems anyone from the school can compete in the pilot event so long as their school attends the competition.

And they don't have the SumoBot rules up yet so I'm assuming they are finally going to change them. They should have changed the parameters more last year such as size and weight just so the same designs can't be used again.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

the whole point of a pilot event is to see if the event works. helicopter is beining disscused to be an actuall event in a few years and to make sure it works they are letting anyone compete and not count towards the overall score.
Now my question is: for arguments sake say that my school has 3 teams. If i compete in helicopter for the B team (i can b/c it doesnt' HAVE to be alternates, it just can) can i also compete in it for the C and A team?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

smartkid222 wrote:the whole point of a pilot event is to see if the event works. helicopter is beining disscused to be an actuall event in a few years and to make sure it works they are letting anyone compete and not count towards the overall score.
Now my question is: for arguments sake say that my school has 3 teams. If i compete in helicopter for the B team (i can b/c it doesnt' HAVE to be alternates, it just can) can i also compete in it for the C and A team?
It's unclear, but since your score wouldn't count toward the overall score of any of the teams, it's kind of irrelevant... I don't know how they'll actually run it, but my guess is that as many pairs from each school as want to will be able to enter the event, without any specific team affiliation.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

smartkid222 wrote:the whole point of a pilot event is to see if the event works. helicopter is beining disscused to be an actuall event in a few years and to make sure it works they are letting anyone compete and not count towards the overall score.
But I dont think that one person is allowed to compete on two different teams in their school.
I have no idea about pilot events though, NY never had em before.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

gneissisnice wrote:
But I dont think that one person is allowed to compete on two different teams in their school.
I have no idea about pilot events though, NY never had em before.
Thats correct. you can't compete for more than two teams. but this is a pilot event so it might be differnt.

btw the NYS website has many additions including the state schedual (which has a few major, but obvious typos)
i sometimes ponder why the state schedual comes out in august, but the regional schedual (which are needed first) come out a lot later.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”