New York 2009

Sheogorath
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2009

Post by Sheogorath »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Predictions, anyone? Will F-M finally be toppled? Will Spackenkill go to Nationals for the third straight year? Who are the Dark Horse candidates?
Is there any particular reason to think that F-M will be toppled this year that I've missed, or is that just a general question?
They were pretty close to Jamesville-Dewitt this year at regionals, it was neck and neck for awhile, so you never know.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Predictions, anyone? Will F-M finally be toppled? Will Spackenkill go to Nationals for the third straight year? Who are the Dark Horse candidates?
Is there any particular reason to think that F-M will be toppled this year that I've missed, or is that just a general question?
No particular reason, just that it pretty much has to happen eventually. It is very frustrating that Midstate and Southern Tier don't post their results, especially since those two regions always produce about half of the top ten teams. It makes predictions little more than guesses.

Sheo, do you think J-D has a shot at Nationals?
ladaloop

Post by ladaloop »

I don't think F-M will be toppled...yet. J-D did really well at regionals this year, improving 100 points...but I don't think they'll get in the top 2 this year. But I think in the next few years, F-M will finally have a lot of competition at the state level...too bad most of us won't be able to see it.
Camden Science Olympiad 2009-8th in the state!!!

Cell Bio-1st at regionals
Experimental-2nd at regionals, 7th at states
Health Science-2nd at regionals, 9th at states
Junkyard-4th at regionals
Technical-4th at states
Solar Power-9th at states
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

Yeah I don't think there is going to be too much of a change, their going to beef up before states, and are able to pull the best from both teams, I think (not quite sure about that).

FM will probably get first unfortunately and JD will do good but I don't think top two good. Though it would be nice to be wrong and FM does get toppeled.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by ZekeBud »

My expectation? FM to win by more than 100 points again. JD may have seemingly closed in, but FM really can't get a much better score - at some point it becomes just one point per event. The level of difficulty when gaining such a low sum is insane.

As for the other national team? Someone from the Southern Tier region - either UE or ME. I'd guess Union-Endicott this year, but for no real reason.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases
pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

What are you guys thinking about B Division (for any B Division people out there)
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:What are you guys thinking about B Division (for any B Division people out there)
1: Gelinas
2: Eagle Hill
3: Murphy
4: Wellwood

Just a guess, but it would surprise me if those four teams were not all in the top ten, and probably the top five.
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

My predictions:
1:Wellwood
2:Eagle Hill
3:Gelianas
4:Murphy

lol I don't think we'll win, but our team is pessimistic so OPTIMISIM TIME
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

Jocool wrote:why do you drop events :?:
I don't know
pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Flavorflav wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:What are you guys thinking about B Division (for any B Division people out there)
1: Gelinas
2: Eagle Hill
3: Murphy
4: Wellwood

Just a guess, but it would surprise me if those four teams were not all in the top ten, and probably the top five.
That is a good guess! :D Being in Murphy's sister school, and seeing how they have progressed/done over the years, I think that Murphy may need another year possibly to crack teh top 3. It's a definite possibility, but just from my own personal opinion, I think Murphy won't be top 3. If I had to make a few changes to your prediction I would say:

1. Gelinas
2. Eagle Hill
3. CP Weber
4. Wellwood
5. Murphy

rest of top ten unsure
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”