New York 2009

Glacierguy1
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2009

Post by Glacierguy1 » March 22nd, 2009, 5:36 pm

Jo_squirrel wrote:And for Best Shirt... I liked the caption on another team's shirt that read "If it moves, it's biology. If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics." I don't get why/how Hicksville won it. (No offense to them, they did have a nice shirt and color and all, but I just personally liked this one better).
Actually, our team didn't even try to get these awards, so good job to those who won and to those who tried. ^^
I think that they have a tier system involving personalization, numbering, and other bells and whistles that make a shirt "better"
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 » March 22nd, 2009, 5:43 pm

does anyone know what the winning bridge or vehicle scores were?
Call me coach.

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 » March 22nd, 2009, 6:16 pm

Glacierguy1 wrote:
Jo_squirrel wrote:And for Best Shirt... I liked the caption on another team's shirt that read "If it moves, it's biology. If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics." I don't get why/how Hicksville won it. (No offense to them, they did have a nice shirt and color and all, but I just personally liked this one better).
Actually, our team didn't even try to get these awards, so good job to those who won and to those who tried. ^^
I think that they have a tier system involving personalization, numbering, and other bells and whistles that make a shirt "better"
yes, each person had their own number on the back of their shirts. I guess they liked the pun too..
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath » March 22nd, 2009, 7:17 pm

Can someone describe what the winning shirt was. I couldn't really see it.

And the winning bridge score is posted on the previous page.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2

sk8lynne

Post by sk8lynne » March 22nd, 2009, 7:32 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the write it do it structure was like. I am going to the division B states in april and I am looking 4 some practice ideas
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gh » March 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

That was a terrific states tournament for me. I put up a solid fight in my events, got to see quite a bit of upset in the rankings, and witnessed how my team withstood a year of lost talented seniors and budget cuts. Stuy is now 2-1 with U-E in Sumo Bots (I'm still sore about getting shut out in 2007 by their bot :P). I got to see EV mature as an event and tried my hand at a "pure" woodshop building event (Trajectory). I got to end my last year of SO with the 25th anniversary thing. It looks like the little bit of cash they got for the 25th year went a long way. They got new pens, gave out more awards and medal, and had a slideshow and video highlights, which were fantastic for all the teams.

I'd like to thank the event supervisors and everyone else in charge of the tournament, especially of the events I participated in, for running the show without a hiccup. In my opinion, there was some not-so-legit whining in Sumo Bots about interference, but that sort of thing is to be expected. Also, our Trajectory device was stolen while I was focusing on Sumo Bots, but then I didn't really want to lug that hunk of junk back to NYC anyways. :D

I'm glad to see that there's quite a bit of mobility in rankings for NY, but not so glad to see my school's overall rank fall for the first time in six years. Still, I fully expect my school's team to be the first place favorite in ten years. It's a bold statement, but I don't think there's anyone here to prove me wrong. :P

@gneiss: I had my avatar (actually, my robotics team's logo) on my shirt at states, so I figured somebody would probably recognize me. I guess nobody did, heh.

Oh, I really liked that red iNerd t-shirt.

@andrewwski: The bridge loading system dispensed ball bearings from a water cooler bottle or something, IIRC. They introduced that last year. In 2007, it was just bucket and sand.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug » March 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm

gh wrote: Also, our Trajectory device was stolen while I was focusing on Sumo Bots, but then I didn't really want to lug that hunk of junk back to NYC anyways. :D
WTF!!! :shock: They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. :evil:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

baker

Post by baker » March 23rd, 2009, 8:43 am

I'm sure the trajectory device wasn't stolen as much as probably pick up by accident. Many devices looked the same, after they competed they were all put up against the wall, off to the side right next to the door. Many of the teams have others on their team help out gathering stuff together to leave. Oh yeah, like he said, something that did 43rd out of 49 really wasn't worth hauling back...

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice » March 23rd, 2009, 10:05 am

gh wrote: @gneiss: I had my avatar (actually, my robotics team's logo) on my shirt at states, so I figured somebody would probably recognize me. I guess nobody did, heh.
Aww, I didnt notice =(
I was the kid with a black eye who went up at fossils and remote sensing.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine » March 23rd, 2009, 11:47 am

gneissisnice wrote:I was the kid with a black eye who went up at fossils and remote sensing.
Black eye? Who punched you?
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”