7 seniors on a team?

User avatar
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 595
Joined: January 31st, 2007, 6:27 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Location: Hope it's somewhere good. :)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by dudeincolorado » December 13th, 2008, 1:56 am

its probably best just to check with the tournament director
SO stressed!

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by gneissisnice » December 18th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Yeah, Easter L.I. is 18/20. There are 5 events not run at regionals that we have no choice of, and then 2 events to not run that we choose.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 954
Joined: January 12th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by andrewwski » December 18th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Flavorflav wrote:
andrewwski wrote:Yes, as New York goes, there's 25 events to choose from. You must pick 18. The trial events are counted the same way as regular events if you choose them as part of your 18. If they're in the 7 that you don't compete in, then they don't count.

Now, in my region at least, and I think in all of New York, alternates are really not defined. You can have a team of 15 members, with a maximum of 7 seniors, compete during competition. If one of your "planned" competitors cannot compete, you may substitute an "alternate," but, the way it is seen is that they're the exact same as any other team member.

So you could not have a sophomore fall sick on the morning of competition and put in a senior in his place if you already have 7, as then you'd have 8.

However, you do not need to be a team member to attend and "try" the 7 events that you chose not to count. So you could send anyone to those events, because they're not part of the 15 on the actual roster.

eak227 has it exactly correct.
Actually, andrewwski, I think 18/25 is only true in NYC. I believe both E. and W. L.I. do 18/20, and I think most other regions don't run all 25 either.
Way over here in Buffalo (Lake Erie/Niagara region), it's 18 of 25. We're also a large region (~35 schools).

User avatar
binary010101
Member
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: April 19th, 2007, 12:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 美国,宾夕法尼亚州,雷丁市
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by binary010101 » January 3rd, 2009, 2:12 pm

I think we only had 3 trial events in PA last year. As for the 7 senior/5 freshman rule, I understand its necessity, but it made for HUGE problems last year. On our B team (that I was on), we had around 10-15 freshmen, 3 8th graders, and a LOT of 7th graders that didn't do much.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Glacierguy1
Member
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 5:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: LI,NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by Glacierguy1 » January 3rd, 2009, 6:19 pm

This Year in West LI, we are doing 20/20, with 5 predetermined events out of the 23 national events+2 trials dropped
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

User avatar
binary010101
Member
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: April 19th, 2007, 12:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 美国,宾夕法尼亚州,雷丁市
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by binary010101 » January 3rd, 2009, 6:24 pm

Glacierguy1 wrote:This Year in West LI, we are doing 20/20, with 5 predetermined events out of the 23 national events+2 trials dropped
andrewwski wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:
andrewwski wrote:Yes, as New York goes, there's 25 events to choose from. You must pick 18. The trial events are counted the same way as regular events if you choose them as part of your 18. If they're in the 7 that you don't compete in, then they don't count.

Now, in my region at least, and I think in all of New York, alternates are really not defined. You can have a team of 15 members, with a maximum of 7 seniors, compete during competition. If one of your "planned" competitors cannot compete, you may substitute an "alternate," but, the way it is seen is that they're the exact same as any other team member.

So you could not have a sophomore fall sick on the morning of competition and put in a senior in his place if you already have 7, as then you'd have 8.

However, you do not need to be a team member to attend and "try" the 7 events that you chose not to count. So you could send anyone to those events, because they're not part of the 15 on the actual roster.

eak227 has it exactly correct.
Really? At our regionals, we just do and are judged on every event.
Actually, andrewwski, I think 18/25 is only true in NYC. I believe both E. and W. L.I. do 18/20, and I think most other regions don't run all 25 either.
Way over here in Buffalo (Lake Erie/Niagara region), it's 18 of 25. We're also a large region (~35 schools).
Really? In our regionals, we are judged on our performance in every event.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

User avatar
Sheogorath
Member
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: February 17th, 2007, 4:35 pm
Division: Grad
Location: Shivering Isles
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by Sheogorath » January 3rd, 2009, 7:50 pm

Yeah, I'm in New York and our Regionals does every event, though Egg-O-Naut may be canceled if it is too windy/cold/icy as it is most of the time.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2

User avatar
binary010101
Member
Member
Posts: 406
Joined: April 19th, 2007, 12:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 美国,宾夕法尼亚州,雷丁市
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by binary010101 » January 3rd, 2009, 9:12 pm

All of our events, I believe, are held indoors, so we generally don't have that problem.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Glacierguy1
Member
Member
Posts: 162
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 5:08 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: LI,NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by Glacierguy1 » January 4th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Only 20 events are held out of the 25 total events, but all that are held are judged.
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 119
Joined: December 5th, 2003, 8:05 pm
Division: Grad
Location: Cambridge, MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 7 seniors on a team?

Post by eak227 » January 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm

binary010101 wrote:All of our events, I believe, are held indoors, so we generally don't have that problem.

Really? You're going to shoot off bottle rockets indoors? I would LOVE to be at that competition! :lol:

How tall a ceiling do you have in there?
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

Post Reply

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests