Illinois 09

courage7856
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 09

Post by courage7856 »

A lot of the tests at State were weird. The Dynamic Planet one was more about Rocks and Minerals, and easy. The Fossils one was also weird: there was no identification. The Compute This one was about North Carolina. Was I the only one who thought it was weird this year?
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
chia

Post by chia »

[quote="courage7856"]A lot of the tests at State were weird. The Dynamic Planet one was more about Rocks and Minerals, and easy. /quote]
yeah, it was, and the dynamic planet part of it was easy. i've never really ever learned anything about anything when it comes to rocks and minerals, so we ended up getting third.
dude, as a team we failed so bad... we were two point away from getting 5th place *headdesk* thank gods kjhsscioly and i going to naperville central next year, where we actually stand a chance to go to nationals.... which will be at U of I! *headdesks some more*
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

i completely agree with chia.. apparently new trier winnetka head coach retired this year or something so central has an even better chance
gogofofo
Division: C

Post by gogofofo »

She retired from teaching but is still likely going to coach SciOly as a volunteer or something to that effect.
State
2009: 1st Forensics, 1st Astronomy, 3rd Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 1st Astro
2011: 1st Forensics, 2nd Astro, 1st TPS

Nationals
2009: 10th Forensics, 3rd Astronomy, 11th Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 9th Astronomy
2011: 2nd Forensics, 8th Astronomy, 10th TPS
dahyper_fan

Post by dahyper_fan »

I was at these states too. Our team had an interesting time at the awards ceremony, due to the fact that we had to sit behind South, and our team got no medals at all :( . But yeah, i had the same answer at the end of the anatomy test. My partner answered yes. Also at the end of the enviromental chem test, there was a True or False question that said "Our team thought this test was too easy" we answered false.

Later on though I learned that If our team was in the single A divison I would of medaled 4th in enviro chem. The funny thing is i thought i didn't do so well either. Oh well about that stuff though, I had a fun experience with my friends and our whole team grew closer together. Plus, I'm entering Division C next year, and most of the team that did pretty well last year at states will be there now too. So, we have to try to get them to states, but our regional is pretty tough.

Also, I'm not going to reveal which team i belong too. But the Kennedy people would definitely know our school considering we go to the same regionals.
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

lol... i answered false as well, i felt it was the only funny test question i had come across

as for our team, we got 8 medals total, only 2 golds (i was in both the gold events :? ). we got 14 medals last year....

Yeah... we're from Kennedy

what team number were you... i might know you by your t shirt
dahyper_fan

Post by dahyper_fan »

38B (not 37 D:), We had a bleeding heart shirt on. We also screamed pretty liud for the picture on the slideshow, and played kazzoo's.

That pretty cool you got a gold medal. This was my first year of science olympiad and i only got 1 medal in total.

3rd place at regionals in compute this :D

It was torture though having to sit behind south though, lets just say i was not very happy at all by the end of the ceremony, but the bus ride back was pretty fun.

Last year my team was 2nd in the single A divison but we had highschoolers then, since we had no high school team. So this year we got moved up to AA, and i think we were all not prepared for the AA testing.
chia

Post by chia »

oh... so i knows where you're from, then :D
what high school are you going to, then? i'm moving to C next year, too.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
dahyper_fan

Post by dahyper_fan »

Yep, I'm from Lisle. I'm going to Lisle High School (Its only going to be the second year of Science Olympiad there), I would prefer to go to a better high school though, but it would cost to much money to move and I really couldn't uproot myself from my friends.

So what events do you guys want to do in C next year? I'm planning on doing ornithology (it seems cool) enviro chem (might as well continue it plus i could take this as an ap class senior year), idk really about health science based on my horrible ranking at it in stat. Other than that i really don't know, maybe i would do a building event.

I'm really looking forward to next year though, the events will be more challenging and plus hopefully we can take the high school to state, but our regional is definitely more competitive in the high school division, plus IMSA is there, which makes it even harder to do. Plus i believe the 2 high schools go there for regionals too right? if not having Hinsdale makes it tough too.
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

Next year will be pretty fun, I'm pretty excited about ornithology, reptiles are getting boring. But what's with mission possible replacing Junkyard after only one year???

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”