Science Olympiad Classes

RightorRong
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad Classes

Post by RightorRong »

Wouldn't charter schools have Science Olympiad classes?
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by rocketman1555 »

gyourkoshaven wrote:
dontsenditinthemail wrote:The people from schools that I have talked to from the competative states (like OH, PA, NY) have all actually said that they don't have classes. In all reality, if teams have a bunch of coaches (which I bet most of the good ones do), the need for a class isn't really present anyway.
My school doesn't have these, but how exactly does grading work? As much as I think of scioly as an extracurricular, I think a class could really help my team.
they could just do completion grades based on how much/well you are working. And they could give you a test over the event for a test grade, or have competitions count as grades
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

As far as I know, they may not be "classes" in terms of getting credit or grades, but rather periods where all teammates can get together and work on stuff, but instead of on your own time, during the school day.
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Post by gh »

Well, my school has a really successful Math Team class. The class is mostly practice, but there is some teaching. Some of the smaller, less rigorous meets are held during class time. The grade is pass/fail, if I recall correctly, and is based on attendance. The school also requires us to try going through the AMC/AIME/USAMO sequence if we're signed up for any of a certain set of math classes.

Essentially, the Math Team system here is a machine, but not so much that its members become soul-less automatons; more than half the freshman class here is a part of it (don't quote me), but participation in it through all four years requires the same sort of dedication and fervor (especially outside of the Math Team class) that good SO kids need to have to succeed.

Basically, I think a class for an extracurricular competition can work without having the members be unenthusiastic and forced because they're taking the class for credit or for show. The trick is to just not give credit or grades for the class, IMO.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”