Science Olympiad Classes

sweetcoop
Division: Grad
State: CO

Re: Science Olympiad Classes

Postby sweetcoop » February 15th, 2009, 8:12 pm

I agree Sci O shouldn't be a class but i wont be heard in my school so it is a pigeon class
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby eyeball138 » February 16th, 2009, 4:02 am

denmarksoccer wrote:
eyeball138 wrote:I'm pretty sure that at my school, any teacher that runs and extra curricular activity gets paid a little extra. That means, that yes, the Science Olympiad coaches at my school are paid a little bit, but I'm not sure how much (obviously).

You think so? I sort of doubt it. I think I heard them say that they just volunteer once.
I'm almost positive that they get paid. Yes, they have to volunteer to run an extra curricular, but they get paid still (I think).

In regards to the class, for schools that really want to do well and be competitive, a class would be good I would think. For most schools though, I think it's just better as an after school thing.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 16th, 2009, 11:45 am

Flavorflav wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Why are we all coming up with theories for only FM? Surely there have to be other schools like them? :?:

And why are coaches paid? No coach I know gets paid.

But would you know? Why would you?

On Long Island, almost all club advisers get paid. Just not very much.

Well, I've heard my SO coach, chess coach, and soccer coach say to the team that "they're not getting paid to do this" after we have a bad practice or game. So unless they're lying, which I highly doubt they're doing, they volunteer for the post. I don't think anyone else here gets paid to coach a team, but I could be wrong. The ones I know don't.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA
Location: Awaiting my nearly continuous shipments of nerd books from Amazon

Postby danger will robinson » February 16th, 2009, 12:01 pm

I think my coaches get paid (the head ones), but it's so small that it's pretty much insignificant.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.

Liv
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Liv » February 16th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I think that it would be a really good idea. I mean doing SO all day instead of school....... I'm in seriously.
Also it would give(Science Olympiad) students more time to study. It would kinda be like study hall. In addition it would allow non-SO students to get a whiff of the good life........ :D

Daman71692

Postby Daman71692 » February 17th, 2009, 9:47 pm

I think all coaches get Paid a little, but FM has private trainers, where they pay people to actually train them in events. Idk, sounds cool I guess

dontsenditinthemail
State: -

Postby dontsenditinthemail » February 18th, 2009, 4:12 am

"Trainers" lol, sounds like they are going to some sort of science gym.

The problem with having "trainers" and not learning most of everything on your own is that you lose that ability to critically think and analyze because you are being taught everything and not figuring things out for yourself. Obviously FM is good, so having "trainers" is working for them, but I wonder what they would be without all of the help. I bet they could be just as good if not better, after all, "trainers" can only help if the actual competitors are willing to work hard anyway.

LazyBoy

Postby LazyBoy » February 18th, 2009, 5:48 am

i'm almost certain that a scioly class wouldn't be a single person teaching material, but it would be more like a regular scioly practice where there is a teacher or two in the room supervising but the students can do pretty much whatever they want

dontsenditinthemail

Postby dontsenditinthemail » February 18th, 2009, 9:12 am

Now that would be a cool "class", just extra practices without a ton of really formal instruction.

rocketscience17

Postby rocketscience17 » February 18th, 2009, 10:46 am

wow okay im from FM, and im not really sure where you're coming up with all these theories. we do not have, nor have we ever, a "SO class". our coaches are not paid, just unbelievably dedicated and devoted. as for trainers, if you mean that we sometimes talk to (unpaid) adults about how we can improve our work, then sure we do. i understand that it seems like we do pretty well year after year, but doing well doesn't always signify cheating or methods that other teams don't use. i don't want to sound pompous, but we have a bunch of kids who are intelligent and really want to do well, and are willing to put a lot of extra time into making sure it happens.

Glacierguy1

Postby Glacierguy1 » February 18th, 2009, 11:18 am

Do you not get that you guys have become the Chuck Norris of Science Olympiad ? and that it is our duty to come up with ridiculous theories as to how you get so good.
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

superjenius

Postby superjenius » February 18th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Glacierguy1 wrote:Do you not get that you guys have become the Chuck Norris of Science Olympiad ? and that it is our duty to come up with ridiculous theories as to how you get so good.

haha

Flavorflav

Postby Flavorflav » February 18th, 2009, 2:15 pm

rocketscience17 wrote:wow okay im from FM, and im not really sure where you're coming up with all these theories. we do not have, nor have we ever, a "SO class". our coaches are not paid, just unbelievably dedicated and devoted. as for trainers, if you mean that we sometimes talk to (unpaid) adults about how we can improve our work, then sure we do. i understand that it seems like we do pretty well year after year, but doing well doesn't always signify cheating or methods that other teams don't use. i don't want to sound pompous, but we have a bunch of kids who are intelligent and really want to do well, and are willing to put a lot of extra time into making sure it happens.

Naturally, this statement was not written by an actual student, but an incredibly advanced AI which scans the web constantly looking for statements derogatory of FM and automatically responds with a statement prepared by their army of publicists. FM isn't even a school, really - just a facility for training the clones once they have been poured out of the vat. It's the only rational explanation that doesn't involve them being better than us.

rocketscience17

Postby rocketscience17 » February 18th, 2009, 2:23 pm

oh. my bad :)

robotman
Administrator
Administrator
State: TX

Postby robotman » February 18th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Flavorflav wrote:
rocketscience17 wrote:wow okay im from FM, and im not really sure where you're coming up with all these theories. we do not have, nor have we ever, a "SO class". our coaches are not paid, just unbelievably dedicated and devoted. as for trainers, if you mean that we sometimes talk to (unpaid) adults about how we can improve our work, then sure we do. i understand that it seems like we do pretty well year after year, but doing well doesn't always signify cheating or methods that other teams don't use. i don't want to sound pompous, but we have a bunch of kids who are intelligent and really want to do well, and are willing to put a lot of extra time into making sure it happens.

Naturally, this statement was not written by an actual student, but an incredibly advanced AI which scans the web constantly looking for statements derogatory of FM and automatically responds with a statement prepared by their army of publicists. FM isn't even a school, really - just a facility for training the clones once they have been poured out of the vat. It's the only rational explanation that doesn't involve them being better than us.

robotman facepalms

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”