Division: Grad
State: ME
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Northern California

Post by starpug »

49ersfan wrote:
starpug wrote:
49ersfan wrote:Great job! :o You live in my area, so I know you, EASTstroudsburg13. way to make the Northern Californians mad!

(By the way, this is my first post ever.)
Oh thanks
One Q, what does "Oh thanks" mean???? :?: :!:
What are you doing in our thread? Quit trolling. :| That post was pointless
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession »

Hmm...just so happened to click on the NorCal thread (I mean, nobody's gonna post on the NJ thread, Community won, again, for like the 8th time in a row...that will change next year), but you guys have your competitions late! We've got Regionals in Jan., States in March., and obviously Nats in May, but we're not going to Nats. Sorry, I had to post that. :roll: And just out of curiosity, by A team and B team, do you mean like A div. and B div...otherwise we don't have that here.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA

Post by danger will robinson »

For the schools that have a large amount of people that want to do SO, schools field two teams, the A team and the B team. The A team (generally) has the older, more experienced people. Unfortunatly, a school can have 2 teams at Regionals, but can only field 1 team for States. Whichever one does better goes.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

danger will robinson wrote:For the schools that have a large amount of people that want to do SO, schools field two teams, the A team and the B team. The A team (generally) has the older, more experienced people. Unfortunatly, a school can have 2 teams at Regionals, but can only field 1 team for States. Whichever one does better goes.
One of the other rules that they have is that if you are on the B team at regional and the A team places above the B and is the one that goes to states, then there is no changing teams you have to be on the alternates list or the competing for the A team at regional in order to compete at states. :|
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

starpug wrote:
danger will robinson wrote:For the schools that have a large amount of people that want to do SO, schools field two teams, the A team and the B team. The A team (generally) has the older, more experienced people. Unfortunatly, a school can have 2 teams at Regionals, but can only field 1 team for States. Whichever one does better goes.
One of the other rules that they have is that if you are on the B team at regional and the A team places above the B and is the one that goes to states, then there is no changing teams you have to be on the alternates list or the competing for the A team at regional in order to compete at states. :|
Oh...that kind of sucks...I'm actually kind of glad we only have one team in my school. But then there's (the team that shall not be named)...grrr... :|

jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

we got that rule removed in minnesota. our school has three teams (one true team). my coach got the rule removed so people like me last year could be on the state team 8-) the ironic thing is that last year at state i did terrible!
Call me coach.
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

oh, our school has one team and one team only. one team for regionals. one team for states...yeah...one team.

sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

I hate this whole 2 team thing. There should be a rule capping it to 15 people PER SCHOOL. At our state, there are 15 blanks on the list to write the 15 people's names. No alternates, no second team, none of that. I understand that some schools have alot of people that want to participate, but limiting it to 15 per school will make it more fair for everyone else. The way I see it, the only point of a B team (apart from letting more people participate) is to take points away from other schools and give your A team that extra buffer they need to win.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

tehkubix wrote:I hate this whole 2 team thing. There should be a rule capping it to 15 people PER SCHOOL. At our state, there are 15 blanks on the list to write the 15 people's names. No alternates, no second team, none of that. I understand that some schools have alot of people that want to participate, but limiting it to 15 per school will make it more fair for everyone else. The way I see it, the only point of a B team (apart from letting more people participate) is to take points away from other schools and give your A team that extra buffer they need to win.
What about experiance kube, a B team grants experiance to kids at high participation schools. By being on a B team it allows you to gain experiance at competition at a time when you wouldn't be able to because the A team is all 8th and 9th Graders (B Division) and Seniors and Juniors and a couple sophmores (High School). I don't know why your complaining about B teams taking points from you, I mean our B team did good for the amount of time we had but we weren't constantly in the top 5. I never beat you guys none of my events beat franklin :|.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

I wasn't using myself as an example (not for this year at least). No other team can get the points that your B team gets, making your A team stronger. So lets take Churchill A and B for example. They took 1st and 2nd respectively at Regionals. If 3rd place (Arden A) wanted to win, they'd have to beat both Churchill teams. If Churchill B wasn't a team, moving everyone up one point per event, Arden may have won (I don't have the score sheet so I can't actually do it). So Churchill adding a B team created the buffer they needed to win 1st.

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”