Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: ME
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Northern California

Post by starpug »

tehkubix wrote:I wasn't using myself as an example (not for this year at least). No other team can get the points that your B team gets, making your A team stronger. So lets take Churchill A and B for example. They took 1st and 2nd respectively at Regionals. If 3rd place (Arden A) wanted to win, they'd have to beat both Churchill teams. If Churchill B wasn't a team, moving everyone up one point per event, Arden may have won (I don't have the score sheet so I can't actually do it). So Churchill adding a B team created the buffer they needed to win 1st.
Well that depends on how much Churchill A beat Arden A by
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

starpug wrote:Well that depends on how much Churchill A beat Arden A by
Right, even if it didn't happen in the example i used for this year's regional competition, the idea is still the same and it can happen.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

tehkubix wrote:
starpug wrote:Well that depends on how much Churchill A beat Arden A by
Right, even if it didn't happen in the example i used for this year's regional competition, the idea is still the same and it can happen.
Yes you do have a point, but as long as 3 different schools go onto states then it doesn't matter, because states decides who goes to nationals. So who cares, besides maybe ego and confidence, what the team places are at regionals if 3 teams can still go on to states. It's not like winning regionals gives you bonus points at states. There are no B teams at states to lower and boost teams so in the end B teams don't really effect who's going to nationals and who isn't.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

starpug wrote:Yes you do have a point, but as long as 3 different schools go onto states then it doesn't matter, because states decides who goes to nationals. So who cares, besides maybe ego and confidence, what the team places are at regionals if 3 teams can still go on to states. It's not like winning regionals gives you bonus points at states. There are no B teams at states to lower and boost teams so in the end B teams don't really effect who's going to nationals and who isn't.
I understand where you're coming from, you can't agree with me because if it were that way, you wouldn't be doing S.O. Everything would be simpler if it were just 15 people per school, even the whole alternate stuff, whats the point of that? There are no alternates at state (this year at least) and I don't know about nats. If someone can't compete for whatever reason, you can throw in an alternate, but they're gonna fail anyway (unless that person happens to know a lot about that event and was studying for it, but that's unlikely).
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Well if you cap it at 15 people per school, people can't get the opportunity to compete and have the sci oly experience. Especially if you are in a big school with lots of competitive college nazis around you. I mean sure life would be a lot easier without b teams but you can't take that experience away from those who want it.
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

Untitled wrote:Well if you cap it at 15 people per school, people can't get the opportunity to compete and have the sci oly experience. Especially if you are in a big school with lots of competitive college nazis around you. I mean sure life would be a lot easier without b teams but you can't take that experience away from those who want it.
I know, that's the only down side to it. What you can do however is not count the B teams score towards the final scoring. All of the B teams can compete and see how they did relative to everyone else but only the A team's scores would count.
danger will robinson
Division: B

Post by danger will robinson »

tehkubix wrote:I wasn't using myself as an example (not for this year at least). No other team can get the points that your B team gets, making your A team stronger. So lets take Churchill A and B for example. They took 1st and 2nd respectively at Regionals. If 3rd place (Arden A) wanted to win, they'd have to beat both Churchill teams. If Churchill B wasn't a team, moving everyone up one point per event, Arden may have won (I don't have the score sheet so I can't actually do it). So Churchill adding a B team created the buffer they needed to win 1st.
Well, but Arden had an A and a B team too. But I do see your point. However, I do think that it's a good for people to get more years of experience. Also, you can't get mad at the schools who are taking advantage of it. (We'd be nuts to not take advantage of something like that if we have enough people to do it!) You should be frusterated with the people who made up the rule.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

danger will robinson wrote:Well, but Arden had an A and a B team too. But I do see your point. However, I do think that it's a good for people to get more years of experience. Also, you can't get mad at the schools who are taking advantage of it. (We'd be nuts to not take advantage of something like that if we have enough people to do it!) You should be frusterated with the people who made up the rule.
Well, we had enough people for 2 teams, but it wasn't even an option because we just don't have the money to send a second team. The schools with enough money can do this, and get whatever advantages come with it. It comes back down to the whole money thing, but this is something that can be changed without making people complain. Say this were to happen, only the A team's score would count in the final scores and event scores.. Would you complain? If you do, I'd say it's because it hurts your team, and your team uses the second team as the buffer thing i described earlier.
danger will robinson
Division: B

Post by danger will robinson »

You didn't have enough money to do another team? That's really unfair! I can see why you would complain because money isn't something that should be a factor in this.

However, I don't think it's a buffer-if anything else, it hurts the other team because its another team to compete against. Say for example A team gets 1st in an event, it doesn't help the B team.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sachleen »

danger will robinson wrote:You didn't have enough money to do another team? That's really unfair! I can see why you would complain because money isn't something that should be a factor in this.

However, I don't think it's a buffer-if anything else, it hurts the other team because its another team to compete against. Say for example A team gets 1st in an event, it doesn't help the B team.
Right, but B team getting 2nd in that same event helps A team in a sense that its their OWN people (who they know aren't gonna win the entire comp) getting that extra point and not some other school. They basically 'threw out' that point so now the best anyone else can do is 3rd.

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”