Ohio State Predictions

sihT etupmoC
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio State Predictions

Post by sihT etupmoC »

Solon got 6th in Anatomy, which is still pretty good. Maybe they just had a bad day, had a bad test, both?
They still got 1st place. Even if they got disqualified in Anatomy, they still would have 110 points, which is still winning pretty badly. So really, it wouldnt matter :lol:
2009 States: 1 Compute This, 5 Trajectory
2010 States: 3 Compute This, 6 Meteorology
2011 Regionals: 1 Write It/Do It, 4 Compute This, 5 Meteorology, 3 Team
cyanoacrylateismybff
Division: C

Post by cyanoacrylateismybff »

Ok, so I'm from Lakota West, which is a cincy team. We origonally got 20th, but then the messup with junkyard challenge was fixed and, as a result, we got a 19th. We medaled in two events, Elevated Bridge and trajectory. We won bridge because our guy got a 1772 effiency (idk how to spell haha) and beat everyone by at least 300. He's a building genius! But my brother and his partner got 4th in trajectory because their ballista was awesome. But thats all we did, and we were really excited about it.

Did anyone think that the Forensics test was crazy? we skipped, like, half of it (glass and chromatography... ick :? ). Then our pH paper didnt work AGAIN, so we had to guess all but 3 powders. I got all the fibers and polymers and prints though, and we guessed on hair. The funniest part was the analysis. we wrote yes and no answers to ALL the questions, and our "analysis" was this : "Suspect So-and-So, because he did." What a brilliant answer, LOL. The scary part? We got 21st. :shock: oh well.

I didn't hear about the elevator conspiracy, but i can't believe that they are blaming that on the fact they lost a national bid. The Supervisors would have realized that was an emergency, and treated as such. Seriously, Solon's whole take on their placement bothers me. The should be HAPPY about getting 3rd. Thats huge! But their attitude kind of ruins the whole spirit of the tournament. So what that you didn't make nationals. My team's never broken the top 10. We were happy to even break top 20. I'm pretty sure Solon doesnt know how it feels to get a 30 or lower on an event ( :oops: I do.) But we were happy. So why can't Solon? I know it meant a lot to them, but they should really focus on having fun instead of pushing so hard all the time. That's the whole point. The kids that won our regional got 14th, and third got 12th. We got 19th, but we were 5th at regionals. That's good for southern Ohio teams, because the Science Olympiad programs up north are so good. Solon needs to cheer up a little bit. :D There's always next year. I know that I'm already looking forward to Forensics next year, and that we will do even better.
SciOly Events '10
Anatomy+Physiology
Forensics (2nd regionals last year)
Mission Possible

It's not a purse; it's a SATCHEL!!!
luckEclover1124

Post by luckEclover1124 »

dude, i totally agree with you about the Forensics Test. First off, the event started 10 minutes late and they never gave us extra time. My partner and I planned to do the analysis in the last ten minutes, so we ended up having no time at all to even start the analysis. And almost half the test was about glass refraction and a bunch of Q's on knowledge instead of being an actual lab. We placed 3rd in the Kenston Tournament, but in states, we finished like dead last. That test was so freakin hard..
Untrained_Doctor1

Post by Untrained_Doctor1 »

As for anatomy i felt the test was very easy
the supervisor himself said he made it easier then last years, which wasnt even a hard test
it was a LOT of basic anatomy that anyone competing at the state level should know.
I felt that solon and any other good team prob lost tiebreakers or missed a few questions which brought them down that low. I got 7th and think of myself as a seasoned anatomist, in my opionion just to easy
*A Member Of The Best Magsig Team Ever*

Division C bound....
scienceolympiadist
Division: Grad

Post by scienceolympiadist »

cyanoacrylateismybff wrote:Ok, so I'm from Lakota West, which is a cincy team. We origonally got 20th, but then the messup with junkyard challenge was fixed and, as a result, we got a 19th. We medaled in two events, Elevated Bridge and trajectory. We won bridge because our guy got a 1772 effiency (idk how to spell haha) and beat everyone by at least 300. He's a building genius! But my brother and his partner got 4th in trajectory because their ballista was awesome. But thats all we did, and we were really excited about it.

Did anyone think that the Forensics test was crazy? we skipped, like, half of it (glass and chromatography... ick :? ). Then our pH paper didnt work AGAIN, so we had to guess all but 3 powders. I got all the fibers and polymers and prints though, and we guessed on hair. The funniest part was the analysis. we wrote yes and no answers to ALL the questions, and our "analysis" was this : "Suspect So-and-So, because he did." What a brilliant answer, LOL. The scary part? We got 21st. :shock: oh well.

I didn't hear about the elevator conspiracy, but i can't believe that they are blaming that on the fact they lost a national bid. The Supervisors would have realized that was an emergency, and treated as such. Seriously, Solon's whole take on their placement bothers me. The should be HAPPY about getting 3rd. Thats huge! But their attitude kind of ruins the whole spirit of the tournament. So what that you didn't make nationals. My team's never broken the top 10. We were happy to even break top 20. I'm pretty sure Solon doesnt know how it feels to get a 30 or lower on an event ( :oops: I do.) But we were happy. So why can't Solon? I know it meant a lot to them, but they should really focus on having fun instead of pushing so hard all the time. That's the whole point. The kids that won our regional got 14th, and third got 12th. We got 19th, but we were 5th at regionals. That's good for southern Ohio teams, because the Science Olympiad programs up north are so good. Solon needs to cheer up a little bit. :D There's always next year. I know that I'm already looking forward to Forensics next year, and that we will do even better.
for the record, no one in solon has called it a CONSPIRACY, and from what i know, they aernt solely blaming the incident. they just had a rather bad day, with that incident as one of them. the supervisors did not realize it was an emergency, nor did anyone in any team, away from the elevators
cyanoacrylateismybff

luckEclover1124 wrote:dude, i totally agree with you about the Forensics Test. First off, the event started 10 minutes late and they never gave us extra time. My partner and I planned to do the analysis in the last ten minutes, so we ended up having no time at all to even start the analysis. And almost half the test was about glass refraction and a bunch of Q's on knowledge instead of being an actual lab. We placed 3rd in the Kenston Tournament, but in states, we finished like dead last. That test was so freakin hard..
That stinks. the glass refraction was messed up, because there was NO way we could have studied that! the rules were really vague. you definately were right about the knowledge thing. My partner and i got 2nd at Cincinnati regionals (to Mason), by 4 points, because of pH paper problems, but we had no clue on it this time. The only positive thing was that we ended up doing 8 places better than last year... but what makes me laugh is she used the same freaking case as last year!! I remembered Fifi the poodle and Cookie doe, but none of the evidence... talk about unlucky... oh well. btw, Mason got 7TH PLACE!!! :evil: ugh so unfair. how did they get any of the crazy glass stuff, or the chemical/drug thing? haha. I was glad that i looked up plastics burn tests the night before... Wonder if they're gonna be mean to poor Fifi next year... rofl.
SciOly Events '10
Anatomy+Physiology
Mission Possible

cyanoacrylateismybff

Geez, lay off. sorry, i have not had a great experience with solon... and i wont say why. But thats fine if they aren't blaming it on just the elevator. my friend was po'd the other day because she thought she beat them on junkyard, but she was moved down 5 places and solon moved to 5th. so, whatever.

Just out of curiosity, are you from solon? I havent met anyone from there, partially because i havent spoken to people from other teams.
SciOly Events '10
Anatomy+Physiology
Mission Possible

scienceolympiadist

the junkyard scoring was a giant snafu. i heard they had a horrible mistake in the original scoring and all the top teams (west liberty salem, etc) that should have gotten 1st was originally ranked in the 30s. but they corrected it. and from what i know, they had won west-liberty salem tournament with 68? points. so i guess they simply expected themselves to do better, from previous competitions

i merely have connections to their team...
cyanoacrylateismybff

yeah...
well the thing is, even though she dropped places, our whole team went up one. And saying 19th, for some wierd reason, sounds better than saying 20th out of 40... lol
that was like our best state finish ever for our high school (my middle school team got 12th our first year, that was awesome)
SciOly Events '10
Anatomy+Physiology
Mission Possible

scienceolympiadist

well, congrats. i mean, different teams have different expectations for themselves. some teams like centerville, solon, mentor...have been doing this forever, all have gone to nationals in recent years, and would inevitably have very high expectations...

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”