Designs

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Designs

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for devices, transfers, and other design related things.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
SWAnG
Division: C
State: MN
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by SWAnG »

What are these jugs? Can they be any size we want?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

SWAnG wrote:What are these jugs? Can they be any size we want?
They must be at least 10 cm tall. From my understanding, plastic bottles cut to specification would be acceptable.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SWAnG
State: MN

Post by SWAnG »

Okay! Also, it says the golfballs must be lifted from a point lower than the jug. Does this mean the center of the golfball has to be lower than the jug? or the bottom of the golf ball?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

SWAnG wrote:Okay! Also, it says the golfballs must be lifted from a point lower than the jug. Does this mean the center of the golfball has to be lower than the jug? or the bottom of the golf ball?
By my understanding, the rules don't make this clear, and it would be good to submit a rules clarification when it is available. I recommend playing it safe and making the whole golfball lower than the jug if you decide to build now.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
tanuagg13
State: NJ

Post by tanuagg13 »

So what's the structure of the event this year? E.g. how have the tasks changed?
2015 Events (Division C):
NJ States
Mission Possible -- 1st
It's About Time -- 4th
Cell Biology -- 5th
Montgomery Invitationals (NJ)
Cell Biology -- 4th
Mission Possible -- 2nd
It's About Time -- 2nd
Regionals (UCC, NJ)
Cell Biology -- 3rd
Codes and Algorithms -- 9th
A Person
State: KY

Post by A Person »

tanuagg13 wrote:So what's the structure of the event this year? E.g. how have the tasks changed?
There's way to much stuff to cover. The bonus/ task setup has been changed pretty radically.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
tanuagg13
State: NJ

Post by tanuagg13 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to activate a buzzer, the buzzer needs to have a sound wave to play. Now, to generate such a wave, you'd either have to use integrated circuits or have a pretty good knowledge of how to use an RC circuit to generate such a wave, right? Is the restriction of integrated circuits really necessary for even the final task?

E.g. should I be able to pull out a speaker from one of those cards that plays a song when you open the card, or am I supposed to be able to design a circuit that plays a wave that can be fed into a speaker?
2015 Events (Division C):
NJ States
Mission Possible -- 1st
It's About Time -- 4th
Cell Biology -- 5th
Montgomery Invitationals (NJ)
Cell Biology -- 4th
Mission Possible -- 2nd
It's About Time -- 2nd
Regionals (UCC, NJ)
Cell Biology -- 3rd
Codes and Algorithms -- 9th
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

There are definitely ways of making buzzers without integrated circuits. Do some research if you do not know how.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

bernard wrote:There are definitely ways of making buzzers without integrated circuits. Do some research if you do not know how.
Quite true. Check out these wikipedia articles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzer

That said, I'm pretty confident that the prohibition on IC's wasn't intended to apply to small piezo buzzers with integrated drivers for use in the final task. Someone should submit a FAQ about this when they open next month... hint hint;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Mission Possible C”