Designs

killer225whale
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by killer225whale »

A new Sample ASL has been posted at http://soinc.org/mission_c. The scoresheet and checklist have also been updated.
tinywings

Post by tinywings »

If a component is used multiple times, for example a lift, and not included in a scoreable transfer, how would it be labeled on the ASL? For example, a golf ball hits a switch to start the next ETS, goes into the lift, is lifted up, and then falls into the jug. Would it just not be labeled (not labeled M, E, VL, T, or C) or...? Kinda confused. Thanks in advance
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

tinywings wrote:If a component is used multiple times, for example a lift, and not included in a scoreable transfer, how would it be labeled on the ASL? For example, a golf ball hits a switch to start the next ETS, goes into the lift, is lifted up, and then falls into the jug. Would it just not be labeled (not labeled M, E, VL, T, or C) or...? Kinda confused. Thanks in advance
My understanding from the sample ASL posted a few days ago is that all actions, regardless of whether or not they are in a bonus ETS, should be labelled with the starting and ending energy forms, except for any action that says something along the lines of "as the golf ball falls into the jug," which will have no starting energy form (leave the cell blank) because the golf ball moving into the jug cannot count as an energy form according to rule 4.b.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
TXScioly

Post by TXScioly »

What counts as a "Unique ETS"?
Are "M - E - M - M" and "M - E - M - M - M" unique?
I think this depends on the definition of "transfer" in the rules. Does it mean a change from one energy type to a different one? Or just a transfer of energy (A ball colliding with another ball "transfers" its Kinetic Energy to the 2nd ball).
I'm ASSUMING they mean the former definition, where the transfer must involve a CHANGE of type of energy, since this is what counted for points last year (M -> M was just counted as a duplicate and ignored last year). If we use this definition, I would say those two ETS's above are NOT unique, since, without the duplicate M->M's, they are both "M-E-M".

Any thoughts?
sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

TXScioly wrote:What counts as a "Unique ETS"?
I think this depends on the definition of "transfer" in the rules. Does it mean a change from one energy type to a different one? Or just a transfer of energy (A ball colliding with another ball "transfers" its Kinetic Energy to the 2nd ball).
I'm ASSUMING they mean the former definition, where the transfer must involve a CHANGE of type of energy, since this is what counted for points last year (M -> M was just counted as a duplicate and ignored last year). If we use this definition, I would say those two ETS's above are NOT unique, since, without the duplicate M->M's, they are both "M-E-M".

Any thoughts?
Rule 4b specifically states it must transfer to a different basic Basic Energy form.
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

sjwon3789 wrote:
TXScioly wrote:What counts as a "Unique ETS"?

Any thoughts?
Rule 4b specifically states it must transfer to a different basic Basic Energy form.
Well since M->E and E->M are the 2 transfers from one energy form to a different energy form, they both satisfy that condition.

Also, as bearasaurus mentioned in the other topic where this was asked, this FAQ (http://soinc.org/node/1611) states that "the addition of -X to X-Y-X to make X-Y-X-X makes another unique ETS", which is pretty much exactly what's being asked.

Now how bear found that specific FAQ in the flood of them posted earlier in the season is beyond me :P
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Return to “Mission Possible C”