Energy Transfers

Kordo
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Energy Transfers

Post by Kordo »

I first ran into this problem judging a state competition about 15 years ago and all of the judges decided that if the student could describe the transfer as the way they list it and back it up with a logical argument then we counted it. A mission possible meet is not going to decide the debate on the issue, but if a student can explain accurately why they think it's chemical, then I can't see how you can deny them the transfer.
olynewbie

Post by olynewbie »

Would breaking a circuit connection using a ball bearing count as ME? Or does it only count if I connect a circuit.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

olynewbie wrote:Would breaking a circuit connection using a ball bearing count as ME? Or does it only count if I connect a circuit.
What happens after the circuit is broken? The end energy form will whatever form of energy is used for the next step.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
olynewbie

Post by olynewbie »

bernard wrote:
olynewbie wrote:Would breaking a circuit connection using a ball bearing count as ME? Or does it only count if I connect a circuit.
What happens after the circuit is broken? The end energy form will whatever form of energy is used for the next step.
The circuit will power an electromagnet which holds a steel ball bearing. When the circuit is broken, the ball bearing will fall and do something like hitting a switch.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

olynewbie wrote:
bernard wrote:
The circuit will power an electromagnet which holds a steel ball bearing. When the circuit is broken, the ball bearing will fall and do something like hitting a switch.

If the circuit is opened or closed by a lever type switch, that step would be mechanical. So, you could have several possibilities: M-E, E-M, M-E-M, etc.

Return to “Mission Possible C”