Energy Transfer Sequences

skyman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Energy Transfer Sequences

Post by skyman »

During a Bonus Energy Transfer Sequence, are you allowed to have a transfer from one form of energy to the same form of energy (say M to M) as long as somewhere else in the sequence it transfers to different energy forms at least two times?
Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

skyman wrote:During a Bonus Energy Transfer Sequence, are you allowed to have a transfer from one form of energy to the same form of energy (say M to M) as long as somewhere else in the sequence it transfers to different energy forms at least two times?
Looking at part b of the bonus energy heading in the rules, it must go from one form of energy to a different one, so M-M would not work.
skyman

Post by skyman »

Phys1cs wrote:Looking at part b of the bonus energy heading in the rules, it must go from one form of energy to a different one, so M-M would not work.
Say a lever is activated, and this lever pulls a string which activates the next action, would this be considered M-M or can you consider the entire system as M?
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

skyman wrote:
Phys1cs wrote:Looking at part b of the bonus energy heading in the rules, it must go from one form of energy to a different one, so M-M would not work.
Say a lever is activated, and this lever pulls a string which activates the next action, would this be considered M-M or can you consider the entire system as M?
putting it that way, I've been pondering at that as well. Here's what I've come up with.

You could say m-m on the action list, but then when looking at energy transfers, just counting it as mechanical, since nothing is being transferred. This is since technically, the mechanical energy has been transferred from the lever to the string. However, for the bonus task, it isn't going to another form of energy, so you couldn't have one bonus be M-E-M-M-E-M, and another be M-E-M-E-M. Since as of today the sample isn't out for how to be writing the action list and incorporating the energy sequences, nothing is concrete.

As always, this isn't fact, just my interpretation.
skyman

Post by skyman »

Does anyone know how frequently http://soinc.org is updated? With the competition approaching, we are still without the "Task Sequence List for 2015". Is there an email I can contact?
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

skyman wrote:Does anyone know how frequently http://soinc.org is updated? With the competition approaching, we are still without the "Task Sequence List for 2015". Is there an email I can contact?
The Task sequence list is officially put online!

My own question: What is the difference between burning and melting?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Phys1cs wrote:
skyman wrote:Does anyone know how frequently http://soinc.org is updated? With the competition approaching, we are still without the "Task Sequence List for 2015". Is there an email I can contact?
The Task sequence list is officially put online!

My own question: What is the difference between burning and melting?
Burning/combustion is a chemical reaction where the chemical formula of the fuel usually changes. For example, the chemical reaction for wood burning is:

Melting is a physical change where the state of a substance changes. For example, ice melting is:

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

bernard wrote:Burning/combustion is a chemical reaction where the chemical formula of the fuel usually changes. For example, the chemical reaction for wood burning is:

Melting is a physical change where the state of a substance changes. For example, ice melting is:

Thanks!
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Oh good Lord, simpler than that:

Every event sup I've trained over the years separates the two simply by looking at the break. If it has a blunt end and/or a little black carbon dot, or a color change, it's burnt, therefore chemical. If it thins out, which means it stretched under weight while softening, it's thermal. In the latter, there may be some burning, but it's what it was doing that made it separate that counts.

Just make sure your results match your paperwork. That's important.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!

Return to “Mission Possible C”