Meaning of Rules

goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0

Meaning of Rules

Post by goodcheer »

Is anyone else having trouble understanding exactly what 4.i means? Does the first "or" need to be changed to "and?" The phrase "completes a scoreable transfer" is confusing me. Does it mean the competitor completes it by touching it or is it referring to a legitimate transfer? The first "or" separates the first phrase from the second; the second phrase mentioning an adjustment being made, I suppose by touching the device. As it reads now, if a competitor completes a scoreable transfer, it will not count for points. Very awkward wording. I am guessing it was intending to say, "If a competitor makes an adjustment....neither the transfer nor the golf ball will count for points."
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Meaning of Rules

Post by Flavorflav »

"If the competitor completes a transfer," not "If the device completes a transfer." This is describing what happens in the event of a touch.
XJcwolfyX
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Hi! After years of doing this event, I've learned something very important. You should not read into the rules too carefully. Yes, it is important to read the rules thoroughly and have a complete and total understanding of them, but when you start nitpicking the small technical words or grammar of the rules that conflict with your device, it becomes a problem. You need to look at the rules, and think of what they writers were thinking. Obviously, they did not mean that you don't get points for completing transfers. If rules are completely unclear, then you should submit an FAQ/Clarification. But finding small words and manipulating them to fit your device has never worked out (not saying you're doing this, just giving advice).
Medal Counter: 73
hexagonaria
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria »

I think it'd be cool if we tried to limit rule discussion to this thread. I was hoping to get some design inspiration from the design thread, but it's mostly just everyone trying to demystify what the rules mean :lol: :roll:
DFTBA
phil9047
State: CA

Post by phil9047 »

4.b states "An ETS can receive points only if: 1) it is initiated by the process of a golf ball moving into the scoring jug (cannot be counted as an energy form)"
Does that mean the golf ball's movement cannot be counted as an energy form (mechanical energy)?
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.
kovai2000

Post by kovai2000 »

Did anyone understand this differently?
If I use one single mechanism to move the golf balls one by one and have each one trigger an ETS that follows all the rules in 4.b, will it violate any rules? There is a statement in 4 that states "A single action or component must contribute to only one scoreable transfer". Does this apply to the ETS or apply to lifting golf balls also?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

kovai2000 wrote:Did anyone understand this differently?
If I use one single mechanism to move the golf balls one by one and have each one trigger an ETS that follows all the rules in 4.b, will it violate any rules? There is a statement in 4 that states "A single action or component must contribute to only one scoreable transfer". Does this apply to the ETS or apply to lifting golf balls also?
There is a FAQ that speaks to this: http://soinc.org/node/1525

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
SWAnG
State: MN

Post by SWAnG »

I think kovai2000 is asking whether reusing a mechanism to lift the ball can be considered as NOT a part of the ETS. I personally think this is allowed, in the rules it states that the ETS "causes the next golf ball to move toward and into a scoring jug". So, as long as the ETS is initiated by the process of the golf ball moving into the jug, then causes the next ball to move toward and into a scoring jug, it is scoreable. Basically, reusing a component to lift the golf ball into the scoring jug after an ETS seems legal as it is what "moves the golf ball toward and into a scoring jug". I suggest sending an FAQ on this, I did too; they are more likely to answer this question that way.
olynewbie

Post by olynewbie »

I'm a little confused about the meaning of "hazardous" in context.
Will I be allowed to use chemicals such as Potassium hydroxide and Manganese oxide?

Thanks!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

olynewbie wrote:I'm a little confused about the meaning of "hazardous" in context.
Will I be allowed to use chemicals such as Potassium hydroxide and Manganese oxide?

Thanks!
From what I've seen in FAQs, whether or not a substance is "hazardous" will be up to each event supervisor, which could vary at tournaments. Looking at the NFPA 704 for the substances you mentioned could help you determine whether a substance would be safe to use. Potassium hydroxide is a 3 for heath meaning it can cause serious injury so I would avoid using it.
Science Olympiad wrote:Under the rules for mission possible it states, "hazardous liquids...and unsafe chemical handling will not be permitted. What designates a liquid as hazardous or a chemical as unsafe? (section: 3 / paragraph: i / line: 1-2)
That is up to the individual event supervisor to determine. It will be based upon common standards and processes, such as those found in a typical chemistry lab. In general, when in doubt, err on the side of caution.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Mission Possible C”