Question about Sample ASL

Kazen
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about Sample ASL

Post by Kazen »

Talking about this ASL on soinc.org : http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... an26v2.pdf

I am not sure why the energy transfers made between no. 2 and 3 are non counted for points.
They are
1. initiated by the process of a golf ball moving into a scoring jug
2. It has a sequence of 2 or more transfers ( E to M to VL to E to M to E)
3. completely in the ASL
4. causes the next ball to move toward and into a scoring jug (eventually)
5. the device ceases to work when ETL is not successful.
^ All taken from 4.b. on rules

I am confused to why they are not numbered, and why the ones that are numbered, 2 and 3, count for points. xD I think they might be addressing it in the 4th note they have on the bottom but I have no clue what they're trying to say.

Another question I have that I submitted to FAQ but not sure if they'll answer: Are golf balls that do not score points allowed in scoring jug?

It seems to be conflicting because in this FAQ for Mission Possible:
"(section: 4 / paragraph: a / sub-paragraph: 3 / line: 5)

2014-10-22 08:07 Can objects, other than scoring golf balls, be placed inside of the scoring jugs, provided that they do not alter the inside surface of the jug?
No, objects other than the scoring golf balls may not be inside the scoring jugs. The inside of the scoring jug may not contain any objects, excluding scoring golf balls, throughout the duration of the run."
^ it seems to state that only SCORING golf balls can be inside.

However, in their sample ASL no. 2 is pushing golf ball #2 inside the scoring jug, and golf ball #2 does not count for points (because it's not lifted). Thus, there are non-scoring golf balls inside the scoring jug? (I'm not sure about golf ball #1 as it says "the jug" but it can be interpreted as another non-scoring golf ball in the jug)

I would like to know this because I was planning to have a golf ball trigger an ETS when falling into a scoring jug but not have it be lifted into the jug, so I wouldn't get the +2 for the golf ball but the +50's for the energy transfers that are triggered by that golf ball and ends with lifting another golf ball into a scoring jug (which would count as a scoring golf ball).

Generally, I am having trouble figuring out how to make bonus ETS (many points are in it) but it seems extremely difficult to make any transfers that count for points? Maybe it's just me but the rules seem much more nit-picky about how the energy transfers can be scored for points in comparison to the rules last year?
2015: Forensics/Mission/TPS/Fossils
2014: Forensics/Mission/Rocks/Water Qual
2013: Forensics/Rocks
2011: Rocks/Experimental
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Question about Sample ASL

Post by bernard »

Kazen wrote:Another question I have that I submitted to FAQ but not sure if they'll answer: Are golf balls thatnot score points allowed in scoring jug?

It seems to be conflicting because in this FAQ for Mission Possible:
"(section: 4 / paragraph: a / sub-paragraph: 3 / line: 5)

2014-10-22 08:07 Can objects, other than scoring golf balls, be placed inside of the scoring jugs, provided that theynot alter the inside surface of the jug?
No, objects other than the scoring golf balls may not be inside the scoring jugs. The inside of the scoring jug may not contain any objects, excluding scoring golf balls, throughout the duration of the run."
^ it seems to state that only SCORING golf balls can be inside.

However, in their sample ASL no. 2 is pushing golf ball #2 inside the scoring jug, and golf ball #2not count for points (because it's not lifted). Thus, there are non-scoring golf balls inside the scoring jug? (I'm not sure about golf ball #1 as it says "the jug" but it can be interpreted as another non-scoring golf ball in the jug)
I have submitted a question to the FAQs about this. With the current response, I could imagine some event supervisors penalizing teams for non-scoring golf balls in scoring jugs.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Kazen wrote:Generally, I am having trouble figuring out how to make bonus ETS (many points are in it) but it seems extremely difficult to make any transfers that count for points? Maybe it's just me but the rules seem much more nit-picky about how the energy transfers can be scored for points in comparison to the rules last year?
Could you clarify what you mean by this?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Kazen

Post by Kazen »

bernard wrote:I have submitted a question to the FAQs about this. With the current response, I could imagine some event supervisors penalizing teams for non-scoring golf balls in scoring jugs.
I submitted one as well, so maybe it will attract a reponse, haha. The ironic thing is that the sample ASL has a non-scoring golf ball in a scoring jug; I think that would make non-scoring golf balls legal? If there's no response in the FAQ before Regionals I will probably bring a copy of the soinc ASL and show it to the supervisor beforehand, if I decide to use a non-scoring golf ball to initiate a ETS.
bernard wrote:Could you clarify what you mean by this?
I think I answered my own question after thinking about it - the +50 points is for all the energy transfers made in a ETS between golf ball-> scoring jug to next golf ball->scoring jug, cumulatively rather than separate for each energy transfer. Last year, energy transfers were counted +30/+20/+10 pts or something for each energy transfer made, so I interpreted that it was the same this year but +50 pts each transfer, but I realized that it is +50 pts for every energy sequence rather than each individual transfer. So this year, to get the max 300 ETS points you would need at least 6 golf balls lifted into scoring jugs, and inbetween each is at least 2 energy transfers.

But if that's a completely wrong, please fill me in. xD
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Kazen wrote:
bernard wrote:Could you clarify what you mean by this?
I think I answered my own question after thinking about it - the +50 points is for all the energy transfers made in a ETS between golf ball-> scoring jug to next golf ball->scoring jug, cumulatively rather than separate for each energy transfer. Last year, energy transfers were counted +30/+20/+10 pts or something for each energy transfer made, so I interpreted that it was the same this year but +50 pts each transfer, but I realized that it is +50 pts for every energy sequence rather than each individual transfer. So this year, to get the max 300 ETS points you would need at least 6 golf balls lifted into scoring jugs, and inbetween each is at least 2 energy transfers.

But if that's a completely wrong, please fill me in. xD
Alright, that's what I thought you were thinking. Good that you figured it out. Did you have any other questions I didn't address?
Kazen

Post by Kazen »

bernard wrote:Alright, that's what I thought you were thinking. Good that you figured it out. Did you have any other questions I didn't address?
Haha thanks! I didn't have this in my original post but is there something narrower than a half gallon milk jug that still counts as a plastic beverage jug? I would really like to save space but am finding it difficult to find something smaller than a milk jug that's still legal.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Kazen wrote:
bernard wrote:Alright, that's what I thought you were thinking. Good that you figured it out. Did you have any other questions I didn't address?
Haha thanks! I didn't have this in my original post but is there something narrower than a half gallon milk jug that still counts as a plastic beverage jug? I would really like to save space but am finding it difficult to find something smaller than a milk jug that's still legal.
Our team hasn't found anything smaller. I've heard of teams making their own jugs to make them smaller, but I'm sure you know not to do it since they wouldn't be 'beverage' jugs. How many jugs do you plan on having on your device? If it's quite a number it could definitely take up a lot of space.
Kazen

Post by Kazen »

bernard wrote:Our team hasn't found anything smaller. I've heard of teams making their own jugs to make them smaller, but I'm sure you know not to do it since they wouldn't be 'beverage' jugs. How many jugs do you plan on having on your device? If it's quite a number it could definitely take up a lot of space.
Ah, I see. Good to know. We were joking about using a maple syrup jug and drinking it at competition, lol. xD At the moment we only have one, but depending on how we build off of our current device we may possibly add a second or third, which would take quite some space - so we'll try our best to avoid it.

Return to “Mission Possible C”