bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Highest Scores this Year

Post by bernard »

sjwon3789 wrote:My friend had 5 ETS, flawless -- consistent each time, with 5 lifting mechanisms (my state didn't allow the new rule clarifications... they don't abide the National FAQ anymore). Everything was solid and lasted 30 seconds or so because he didn't add the timing mechanism. His device was 20x30x40. I think this scores around 930? But he's not going to national this year :/

I cannot believe he built such a machine... Such a shame the competition cannot see the machine due to 2 points loss at states lol.
I agree that it's unfortunate the national tournament doesn't get to see some very competitive devices.

Our device at 3 planned ETS (only 1 working), was about 20x20x20, lasted for about 60 seconds (ideal time was 75 seconds), and placed third in the state. Compare that with our regional device, which had 5 planned ETS (only 1 working), also around 20x20x20, not sure how long it lasted, and placed fourth at regionals. This event seems easy at first (and it kind of was for us if you forget the frustration), but seems like it's still rather difficult for most teams to get many working ETS.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Phys1cs
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Phys1cs »

I had 5 ETS, all of them working. They all lifted a golf ball, was 26x26x29 and ran for around 40 seconds. This got me a score of 926. If we went to state ( I went down as a volunteer and ran mine separately) it would have been third.
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

What do you all think will be the winning score at Nationals, assuming they run a 90 seconds?
Medal Counter: 73
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

It's probably around 1,100. That would be a box with all 6 ETS, 90s, 6 golf balls, and a box size of 25x27x27, which I haven't seen smaller than.

Some of the best scores have been around 1,000.
kurtshib

Post by kurtshib »

The device I created got a 1040 at State. This was with all 6 energy transfers and a box size of (28 x 29.5 x27.5). Even though my partner and I won the event at state, we still expect higher scores at nationals. I think it will come down to how many golf balls a team can score. The bonus energy transfers are the easy part. Putting extra golf balls in, will be a challenge.
watermydoing14

Post by watermydoing14 »

kurtshib wrote:The device I created got a 1040 at State. This was with all 6 energy transfers and a box size of (28 x 29.5 x27.5). Even though my partner and I won the event at state, we still expect higher scores at nationals. I think it will come down to how many golf balls a team can score. The bonus energy transfers are the easy part. Putting extra golf balls in, will be a challenge.
Wouldn't you lose points by trying to lift golf balls? Assuming it takes up more space that is... I suppose if you could do it in about the same amount of space... but you would still have to bring your jugs up about 5 cm, that's already 10 space points. Which might be worth it if you could lift 6 golf balls, but you'd only get like 2 extra points. PM me? I'm actually quite curious and there's no risk of sharing ideas with me since I'm obviously not going to nats :( Congrats to Camas though!
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

watermydoing14 wrote:
kurtshib wrote:The device I created got a 1040 at State. This was with all 6 energy transfers and a box size of (28 x 29.5 x27.5). Even though my partner and I won the event at state, we still expect higher scores at nationals. I think it will come down to how many golf balls a team can score. The bonus energy transfers are the easy part. Putting extra golf balls in, will be a challenge.
Wouldn't you lose points by trying to lift golf balls? Assuming it takes up more space that is... I suppose if you could do it in about the same amount of space... but you would still have to bring your jugs up about 5 cm, that's already 10 space points. Which might be worth it if you could lift 6 golf balls, but you'd only get like 2 extra points. PM me? I'm actually quite curious and there's no risk of sharing ideas with me since I'm obviously not going to nats :( Congrats to Camas though!
If you were to lift many golf balls, you would probably want to save space and reuse the same setup...

Many teams I've seen that have lifted golf balls use an electrical approach. Might this be a violation of 3.h. if you lift many golf balls since it is considered "continuous action" and since it is continuous, it takes up time?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

bernard wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:
If you were to lift many golf balls, you would probably want to save space and reuse the same setup...

Many teams I've seen that have lifted golf balls use an electrical approach. Might this be a violation of 3.h. if you lift many golf balls since it is considered "continuous action" and since it is continuous, it takes up time?
This has actually been talked about by our team as well. I am not sure how the ES will differentiate between moving a good amount of golf balls (one at a time) and the non-electrical task meant to actually be adjusted for different times. We never came up with an answer here. I am going with if the adjustable time task can be SHOWN to be adjustable for different times then I think that would be acceptable. I feel the amount of golf balls you use should probably be recorded at impound- but I am not sure if they actually do that. I know this will be talked about more as nationals approaches.
sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

I was actually going to take this approach when I first read the rules. I didn't know that lifting the golf ball was a requirement - and as a result, it wasn't. So to my understanding, I knew that it would require more space than to actually obtain more scores. In other words, I needed one single mechanism to do the lifting for me. To make this a lot easier, I was thinking of lifting all of the golf balls up after the first ETS, then have each ETS knock the golf balls down. However, I gave up on the idea after my friend pointing out to me that "a single mechanism can only be contributed to one ETS." Of course, now that I see it, I was not violating the rules afterall...
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
peartree423

Post by peartree423 »

Does anyone else have predictions for national scores?

Return to “Mission Possible C”