Rules

nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rules

Post by nxtscholar »

I second that. The way I interpret the rules is that there is no restriction against using electrical tools; there's just the catch that there may not be outlets.
sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

Any guesses to how significantly the rule will change next year? Do you think it'll just be dimensions/minor changes?
Anyone know how much it changed since the last time Wright Stuff was held?

I'm interested in doing it next year. :)
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Possibly 45cm with 1.5 g rubber.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

sjwon3789 wrote:Any guesses to how significantly the rule will change next year? Do you think it'll just be dimensions/minor changes?
Anyone know how much it changed since the last time Wright Stuff was held?

I'm interested in doing it next year. :)
Took a look at 2008 rules and there was a state bonus for a pusher plane (propeller located behind the wing) and national bonus for a canard design (stabilizer in front of wing). Not sure if that changed for the second year of Wright Stuff back then, but it's different from our current rules.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

This comes up every year. Expect dimension change and some sort of bonus for unusual design. Primary reason we change the rules is to make you build new planes every year and to think a little out of the box.

BUT, don't sweat it.

The nice thing about the flying events is once you master them, all the skills are transferable to almost any variation of the event we can make and still call it the same thing. Don't worry about next years rules until you see them. If you want to practice in the mean time, just use ANY years rules and work until you get to national competitive times. That will have you 95% or more of the way to being competitive with next years rules.

At that point, either take a break, or consider trying some of the AMA indoor classes. Limited Penny Plane is a good starting point. It is well within any competitive WS flyer's capabilities, but will cause enough stretch to be interesting.

Regards,
Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

Not quite sure which thread this post should go in, but does anyone know if we get the day before the actual competition to do trim flights? Or do we just get a practice hour on the day of the competition (this is for nats btw). I looked on soinc.org and the website of UNL but they gave no information about it.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”