Rules

scruz1331
Division: C
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rules

Post by scruz1331 »

When the rules say anything but boron filaments, does that mean we can use things like carbon fiber?
these are not the droids you are looking for
2014: TPS(4th State),GeoMapping(6th State)
2015: TPS (10th State), Geopmapping (2nd State),It's About time (10th State)
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not official forum, so not official answer, other opinions may differ, read the rules carefully yourself, if you want an official answer submit it through the FAQ process on the National webpage www.soinc.org

Well, is carbon fiber = boron fiber, hmmm, checking periodic table seems not, so you should be good to go.

I will say that carbon fiber probably has limited benefits under these rules, reinforcing the motor stick comes to mind first, MAYBE wing spars. But don't let it get you over weight. NOTHING is worth being overweight.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Boron "wire" is very strong and moderate weight, BUT it is very brittle and breaks into pieces that are worse than pins. It is nearly impossible to pick up small shards thus it is banned.

Carbon fiber is not banned. It has some uses, but it is somewhat difficult to glue to balsa. If done well, it can be of value to stiffening motor sticks and possibly booms. It can also be used to stiffen the glider wings so they do not flutter.
6nusher
State: NY

Post by 6nusher »

This might be slightly off topic, but how many planes should we bring to competition?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

6nusher wrote:This might be slightly off topic, but how many planes should we bring to competition?
Rule 2.a. allows you to bring up to two planes for your two official flights. By rule 4.g., the event supervisor(s) will inspect your planes before any official flights so if you bring more than two planes, you will have to decide on which two to use before any official flights. I don't think there is a need for more than two planes unless you don't know the dimensions of the room the event will be held in and have different planes that turn different amounts.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Mitch1399

Rules on Motor count

Post by Mitch1399 »

Just a question: What is the maximum number of motors that you are able to check in?
- Mitchell
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Re: Rules on Motor count

Post by InfiniCuber »

Mitch1399 wrote:Just a question: What is the maximum number of motors that you are able to check in?
There is no maximum, just remember, you can only use the ones you check in before you fly. Although, I wouldn't see any reason to check in more than say, 3.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
Mitch1399

Re: Rules on Motor count

Post by Mitch1399 »

InfiniCuber wrote:
Mitch1399 wrote:Just a question: What is the maximum number of motors that you are able to check in?
There is no maximum, just remember, you can only use the ones you check in before you fly. Although, I wouldn't see any reason to check in more than say, 3.
Thank you!! :D
- Mitchell
lchs
State: TX

Post by lchs »

I had a question about the competition rules for Wright Stuff. Under section (f), we can use any type of winder, "but electricity may not be available."

I recently saw a torque meter that utilizes a digital pocket scale. Would this be allowed? I can't tell if the rules are hinting at proctors not being required to provide electricity or whether or not competitors are prohibited from using electricity. And could the torque meter still be allowed if the electricity is only being used in the meter, not the actual winder?

I understand that this isn't the place for official rule clarifications, and I've submitted a question on soinc.org. Nonetheless, I'm still interested in what y'all have to say. :D
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

lchs wrote:I had a question about the competition rules for Wright Stuff. Under section (f), we can use any type of winder, "but electricity may not be available."

I recently saw a torque meter that utilizes a digital pocket scale. Would this be allowed? I can't tell if the rules are hinting at proctors not being required to provide electricity or whether or not competitors are prohibited from using electricity. And could the torque meter still be allowed if the electricity is only being used in the meter, not the actual winder?

I understand that this isn't the place for official rule clarifications, and I've submitted a question on soinc.org. Nonetheless, I'm still interested in what y'all have to say. :D
I interpret "may not be available" as meaning the event supervisors do not need to guarantee that electrical outlets are available so it might not be available. At regionals our students doing Wright Stuff use a drill since we didn't have a winder and the judges were fine with it.

And if the proctor disagrees with what I just said, it seems to only apply to the winder, which I would say is whatever winds the rubber. The torque meter cannot wind the rubber on its own.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Wright Stuff C”