What are your guys times right now?

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: What are your guys times right now?

Post by jander14indoor »

Loser_Like_Me wrote:Heyo! So my plane is currently getting about 3 minutes in a 60 foot gym…once the rubber band loses a specific amount of torque the plane begins to descend fairly quickly (it usually only takes about 30-45 seconds to descend). How would I decrease the steep decline of the plane during the descent?
There is no real good way to get these planes to glide slow without power. The optimal usage of rubber is to land just as you run out of torque. I suspect you can use a thinner rubber with more turns.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
artysophia
Division: C
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by artysophia »

With about 30 winds i'm only getting 1minute or so :/ although none of my tests are very conclusive because i can't find a place with no a/c to test >.>
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

artysophia wrote:With about 30 winds i'm only getting 1minute or so :/ although none of my tests are very conclusive because i can't find a place with no a/c to test >.>
What winder are you using? Regardless of the winder, 30 winds seems like far too little, unless your site is extremely low. I've been doing at least about 1200 winds (about 140 turns on a 10:1 winder, then some backing off to my desired launch torque).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

bernard wrote:
artysophia wrote:With about 30 winds i'm only getting 1minute or so :/ although none of my tests are very conclusive because i can't find a place with no a/c to test >.>
What winder are you using? Regardless of the winder, 30 winds seems like far too little, unless your site is extremely low. I've been doing at least about 1200 winds (about 140 turns on a 10:1 winder, then some backing off to my desired launch torque).
I agree with bernard, you wont be able to get any times higher than a minute with 30 winds even on a high ratio winder. If your motors are breaking too soon (although I doubt any motor close to 2g would break at 30 winds) , try using some lube or a thinner cross sectional area.
Less_Incidence
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

I agree with all that's posted above, you just need more winds. Personally I use between 1800 and 2100 turns, but I use a thinner rubber cross section than most. Also, when you lubricate your motors as DoctaDave suggested, use armor-all tire and rubber finish. It works just as well as any lubricant you can buy.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
artysophia

Post by artysophia »

bernard wrote:
1:16 winder. the site i'm testing in is about 20ft or so
how many winds can a .94 rubber motor take vs. .87 or .81? which is better for lower ceilings/high ceilings?

also, how do u know how much to back off?

thanks
artysophia

Post by artysophia »

DoctaDave wrote:
bernard wrote:
I agree with bernard, you wont be able to get any times higher than a minute with 30 winds even on a high ratio winder. If your motors are breaking too soon (although I doubt any motor close to 2g would break at 30 winds) , try using some lube or a thinner cross sectional area.
my motors aren't even close to breaking- my plane just climbs really quickly for some reason and always comes really close to hitting the rafters on the ceiling D: should i use thinner rubber ?
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

The thickness of the rubber used really depends on the individual plane, but a good rule of thumb for really high ceiling sites such as the one at nationals this year, is to have a low propellor pitch, with thin rubber. You're going to have to experiment on your own to determine the best thickness for your plane. I don't know the exact number of winds .094 and .087 etc can take, but I believe that .094 can take around 1500 winds, and .087 around 1800, and 0.81 around 2000+. Don't take my word for it, those are just ballpark estimates since I personally dont use any of those thicknesses. Also the number of winds the rubber can take is based on your lube, and winding technique, so just try it out yourself and see what the max number of winds you can get is.

If your plane is hiting the rafters, yes, going down in rubber thickness can work, but a better way to reduce torque, is to dewind. Again, the number of times you dewind is based completely on your individual plane. Start by winding to the max turns the motor will take, and then dewind about 300 or so turns to be safe. If your plane doesn't go high enough, then dewind less, if your plane still goes into the rafters, dewind more.
Less_Incidence
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

DoctaDave is pretty accurate on the thicknesses versus maxiumum winds. Having used all of those, I can also add that max winds for .081 on a well-worn 2-gram motor can be up to 2200. I actually prefer to use motors that have had several flights on them immediately beforehand so that they can take even more turns at lower torque. My plane did a 3:31 in a 35' ceiling recently on a .081 motor that had just been flown six times, with 2040 winds and .51 in-oz of torque. That's my preference though, and also in a relatively low ceiling with a low-pitch high-ceiling prop.

For the 60' ceiling at nationals - if it were my aircraft with my prop - I would max out a brand new motor at 1.2 in-oz and launch there for an official flight, and make sure I had plenty of washin on the left wing to avoid any dutch roll sort of behavior on launch. I honestly doubt you're going to want to execute a bending-motorstick strategy or a controlled-dutch-roll strategy in a ceiling that high unless you have 5/99 rubber and lots and lots of climb power.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
someusername
State: NE

Post by someusername »

any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated

I am using a Freedom Flight model with no wing chord bonuses and a non-flaring Ikara prop with a 40 degree pitch. I have been using 0.094 rubber with about 1400-1600 winds, but my maximum time I have been able to get is only about 3:30 in a ceiling that is about 30 feet tall. Any suggestions on how to increase flight times when also thinking about the 60 ft. ceilings at nationals?
simplicity is key...sometimes

Return to “Wright Stuff C”