InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What are your guys times right now?

Post by InfiniCuber »

bjt4888 wrote:InfiniCuber,
You have indicated that you are using the Ikara propeller that comes with the Freedom Flight kit (but you are not using the Freedom Flight kit airplane) and your best time so far is 1:40 with .091" rubber and I believe that your last question is about what other propeller you should try.

I would like to try to help you, but would only be able to give general suggestions unless you can supply more information. Supply this information with your question and you will get very good, very specific ideas: airplane design specs, motor thickness, weight and length and indicate if black rubber o-rings or sliced plastic tube o-rings, for the particular best flight: maximum turns wound into the motor, backoff turns, maximum torque, launch torque, turns remaining when the airplane lands (measure by de-winding on your torque meter), propeller pitch at a particular radius (measure it at the 3" radius), flight description (here is an example of a flight description: climbed quickly about 6' in the first circle then five more circles to the ceiling (21 ft.) at about 1:00, cruise about four circles then descending for about 40 seconds, calm air, smooth flight no stalling and flat wings with little or no banking, approximate 25 ft. circle size).

Knowing data like this and more about your airplane and airplane flight characteristics would direct you to the propeller, motor, winding, trimming variable that you could work with to try to gain longer flight times.

Here is a general suggestion though. The students I am coaching are having pretty good success by increasing the pitch of the Ikara prop that comes with the Freedom Flight kit to about 12" (32.5 degrees at 3" radius) if it is not already 12". They have measured pitch on about eleven of these propellers and they have found most to be like this: 8.5" pitch at 1.5" radius, 10" pitch at 2" radius, 11" pitch at 2.5" radius, 12" pitch at 3" radius, 12.7" pitch at 3.5" radius and 13" pitch at 4" radius. This is not ideal pitch distribution, but they are getting flights of between 3 minutes and 3:15 in a 28' ceiling site pretty consistently. They are having greater success with a propeller that was modified from the "wide blade flaring" Ikara propeller. The modifications are similar to those shown on the Cezar Banks Leading Edge plan and the Chris Goins Double Trouble plans (attached). The Leading Edge plan shows a wide bladed Ikara "flaring" propeller with the trailing edge of the blade from the propeller spar rearward removed to reduce blade area and improve flaring. The Double Trouble pland shows a blade thickness diagram for sanding the Ikara "flaring" propeller to make it flare better. Obviously, I am not recommending using the exact Double Trouble or Leading Edge propellers as they are much smaller in diameter to fit the SO rules from that year. I am recommending the blade area reduction (reducing the wide bladed Ikara, not reducing the already small bladed Ikara that comes with the Freedom Flight kit) and the blade thinning (but maybe not quite as thin as shown on the Double Trouble). Generally, wider bladed propellers that are truly flaring will require thicker rubber motors to get the very best duration. The amount or trimming, thinning and initial pitch setting will require experimentation and testing. Another route to higher performance propellers, of course, is to build a balsa wood bladed "bucket prop".

Bye-the-way, based upon your current duration results (not knowing your ceiling height), it sounds like you are not winding your rubber motor hard enough. See previous posts in this forum about winding technique and winding close to maximum turns (and about finding the best launch torque, etc.).

Brian T.
First, thank you so much for the feedback and answer, it really helps!

Now onto the info specifics:
I am currently using a plane with a V dihedral. The span is about 44 cm, and 8 cm rib. Stabilizer is about 24 cm with a 6 cm rib. The length of the plane is 42 cm. Using the 24 cm Ikara prop from FF, using 0.091" thick rubber, 35 cm loop (i just had regionals and used that) , used black rubber o-rings. Whole motor weighed approx. 1.95 grams. Best flight used 65 turns, backed off to 60 on a 15:1 winder. I don't happen to know anything about the torque as my torque meter has not come in yet. I also do not know the pitch, I do not know how to measure it haha! and Flight Description: It climbed relatively slow to a max of 20' (about) which took a good 30 seconds. Then it began coming down smoothly, no stalls, for the remaining 1:10. Hope that is enough info!
I am currently building a new version of this plane with a 50 cm wingspan and 30 cm stabilizer span, and longer lenght, although i am unsure about how long to make it..

As Far as props go, i am ordering the ikara flaring prop! So I will have to check that. And what do you mean not winding "hard enough"? As in fast enough? :P I test in a tall gym with a ceiling around probably 20-25, sometimes 30 or more because its a dome.
Thanks!

Brian A.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

someusername wrote:
based on bjt4888's post, how do you guys measure the radius and pitch of the prop? I am using the 24cm Ikara proeller, the one that comes with the Freedom Flight model, and I am also using the Freedom Flight plane.
I agree with retired1, you should buy the Freedom Flight pitch gauge. This pitch gauge measures pitch at a particular radius and can be used while changing pitch (see the instructions that came with the kit) to measure and verify that your change is as desired and that pitch for both prop blades are the same (at that radius).

Measuring radius: The length of a propeller (in this case 24 cm) is referred to as the diameter of the propeller and is the diameter of the circle described by the propeller tips as it rotates. A radius station of a propeller blade would be the measurement from the propeller center (the shaft hole) along one propeller blade. So, when referring to the 3" radius, I mean the distance from the propeller shaft hole to a point 3 inches along the propeller blade. See the attached pictures of my pitch measuring device. It is not necessary to make something like this unless you want to measure pitch at various radii.

Brian T.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Sorry, here are the pitch measuring device pictures.

Brian T.
Attachments
1-IMG_1428.JPG
1-IMG_1426.JPG
1-IMG_1425.JPG
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

InfiniCuber wrote:
First, thank you so much for the feedback and answer, it really helps!

Now onto the info specifics:
I am currently using a plane with a V dihedral. The span is about 44 cm, and 8 cm rib. Stabilizer is about 24 cm with a 6 cm rib. The length of the plane is 42 cm. Using the 24 cm Ikara prop from FF, using 0.091" thick rubber, 35 cm loop (i just had regionals and used that) , used black rubber o-rings. Whole motor weighed approx. 1.95 grams. Best flight used 65 turns, backed off to 60 on a 15:1 winder. I don't happen to know anything about the torque as my torque meter has not come in yet. I also do not know the pitch, I do not know how to measure it haha! and Flight Description: It climbed relatively slow to a max of 20' (about) which took a good 30 seconds. Then it began coming down smoothly, no stalls, for the remaining 1:10. Hope that is enough info!
I am currently building a new version of this plane with a 50 cm wingspan and 30 cm stabilizer span, and longer lenght, although i am unsure about how long to make it..

As Far as props go, i am ordering the ikara flaring prop! So I will have to check that. And what do you mean not winding "hard enough"? As in fast enough? :P I test in a tall gym with a ceiling around probably 20-25, sometimes 30 or more because its a dome.
Thanks!

Brian A.
Excellent data. This is what this project is all about. Great data and data analysis. Based upon having cut and measured quite a few rubber motors with my students from Tan Super Sport, I believe that your 1.95 gram motor that is 13.75 inches long is actually thicker than .091". Motors that we have cut that are 1.95 - 1.98 grams (correcting for the rubber o-rings, which are .08g/pair) that are less than 14" long are close to .10" thick. This is very thick rubber for the thin bladed symmetrical Ikara propeller that comes with the Freedom Flight kit (with stock pitch) and this is why the number of turns the airplane is using is so low. Try a thinner rubber motor that is between 17" and 18" long for 1.95 grams (with o-rings). Since I am not familiar with the airplane you are using and its level of lift/drag, it may be that this thinner rubber won't provide enough power, but this would be a good strategy to attempt. A 1.95 gram 17" or 18" motor should take 2,300 to 2,400 turns (1.3 to 1.7 inch ounces torque) before breaking. Wind a test motor till it breaks to verify this. A safe and moderately aggressive winding of 85% turns, or 1,955 (130x15) should produce a torque value of about 1.0 inch ounces. From this maximum torque, you will of course need to back off to whatever launch torque your airplane needs to climb close to the ceiling (again, more testing). Launch torque values have ranged between .38 and .48 inch ounces for the students I am coaching using the Freedom Flight kit. The thinner longer motor will probably result in a slower climb in the neighborhood of 1:00 to 1:30 before reaching a 20' height. The broader bladed Ikara "flaring" propeller may require thicker rubber again (you will have to test). Be aware that the Ikara "flaring" propeller is a flaring shaped propeller, but it actually doesn't flare very much unless you sand the blade thinner (per the Double Trouble plan, or maybe not quite so thin). A reasonable, conservative fuselage length for the full size airplane (50 cm wing) is about 60 cm (maybe 12" to 14" motor stick and 10" - 12" tailboom.

Brian T.
AMA since 1972
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

InfiniCuber, you don't mention the planes mass, if it is much above 8.0 gm minimum that will also kill your time fast.

You also don't mention how many winds you are landing with. If no turns on landing, agree with previous suggestion, you need a longer/skinnier motor. You'll probably need less backoff to keep out of the ceiling so should get lots more turns and still be able to reach the ceiling.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber »

bjt4888 wrote:Excellent data. This is what this project is all about. Great data and data analysis. Based upon having cut and measured quite a few rubber motors with my students from Tan Super Sport, I believe that your 1.95 gram motor that is 13.75 inches long is actually thicker than .091". Motors that we have cut that are 1.95 - 1.98 grams (correcting for the rubber o-rings, which are .08g/pair) that are less than 14" long are close to .10" thick. This is very thick rubber for the thin bladed symmetrical Ikara propeller that comes with the Freedom Flight kit (with stock pitch) and this is why the number of turns the airplane is using is so low. Try a thinner rubber motor that is between 17" and 18" long for 1.95 grams (with o-rings). Since I am not familiar with the airplane you are using and its level of lift/drag, it may be that this thinner rubber won't provide enough power, but this would be a good strategy to attempt. A 1.95 gram 17" or 18" motor should take 2,300 to 2,400 turns (1.3 to 1.7 inch ounces torque) before breaking. Wind a test motor till it breaks to verify this. A safe and moderately aggressive winding of 85% turns, or 1,955 (130x15) should produce a torque value of about 1.0 inch ounces. From this maximum torque, you will of course need to back off to whatever launch torque your airplane needs to climb close to the ceiling (again, more testing). Launch torque values have ranged between .38 and .48 inch ounces for the students I am coaching using the Freedom Flight kit. The thinner longer motor will probably result in a slower climb in the neighborhood of 1:00 to 1:30 before reaching a 20' height. The broader bladed Ikara "flaring" propeller may require thicker rubber again (you will have to test). Be aware that the Ikara "flaring" propeller is a flaring shaped propeller, but it actually doesn't flare very much unless you sand the blade thinner (per the Double Trouble plan, or maybe not quite so thin). A reasonable, conservative fuselage length for the full size airplane (50 cm wing) is about 60 cm (maybe 12" to 14" motor stick and 10" - 12" tailboom.

Brian T.
AMA since 1972
I am using the .091" rubber that came with the freedom flight, or at least that is how it is labeled. I have tried thinner rubber, but just do not get results. I will try to build the larger plane, longer fuselage, get the flaring propeller, and try some more rubber. The torque will also be tested. Thank you so much for the info!
jander14indoor wrote:InfiniCuber, you don't mention the planes mass, if it is much above 8.0 gm minimum that will also kill your time fast.

You also don't mention how many winds you are landing with. If no turns on landing, agree with previous suggestion, you need a longer/skinnier motor. You'll probably need less backoff to keep out of the ceiling so should get lots more turns and still be able to reach the ceiling.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I am at about 8.64 grams. I had to add lots of clay to get it to that weight. I plan on building a larger plane and doing the same to get the minimum weight. And i did not mention turns left because i do not know:P I do not have my torque meter yet. But i do land with a LOT of turns left.
someusername
Division: Grad
State: NE

Post by someusername »

Sorry for yet another "nooby" question, but as a general rule, when reducing the thickness of a motor, would you want a higher or lower pitch on the prop?
simplicity is key...sometimes
InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber »

someusername wrote:Sorry for yet another "nooby" question, but as a general rule, when reducing the thickness of a motor, would you want a higher or lower pitch on the prop?
A larger pitch will usually need a thicker rubber, as it has been stated earlier in this thread. Also the greater the prop area, the thicker the motor, and vice versa. Again, this is usually, from what i've read.
someusername
Division: Grad
State: NE

Post by someusername »

I had a flight earlier that lasted 3:36 with a non flaring propeller and 1500 winds on a .091 rubber. The problem I had was at the beginning of the flight, the plane seemed to go up then it started to descend as it began turning and was rolling slightly to the left. Then after about a turn and a half it started to climb again and the roll stopped. As this was not the first time I have had problems like this, I was wondering if the problem may be the motor stick bending from the rubber band. Any ideas?
simplicity is key...sometimes
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

IF you haven't wound that hard before, then yes, check for motor stick bending. Consider a LITTLE more left wing wash in.
Alternatively, if you've flow with winds that hard and times that long, ie its a sudden change from proven behavior, look for something broken.

Of course I suspect 3:36 is a pretty respectable time. If this is the first time you got this high, try again and see if behavior is consistent. If yes, consider leaving things alone?

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Wright Stuff C”