Our plane can go for a minute and a half
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What are your guys times right now?

Post by retired1 »

Depending on ceiling height, I doubt if that will medal in your state. There probably will be many over 2 min with a few over 3 and in a high venue 4 is not out of the range of possibility.
cifutielu
Division: C
State: IL

Post by cifutielu »

retired1 wrote:Depending on ceiling height, I doubt if that will medal in your state. There probably will be many over 2 min with a few over 3 and in a high venue 4 is not out of the range of possibility.
Yeah I know that... but invites aren't until January and we still have a lot of time to improve.
helicpters_rule
Division: B
State: OH

Post by helicpters_rule »

My very first flight that was preaty rough and was kinda luck that it went up, stayed up for about 2 mins. Which is what I was hoping for on my very first flight. Hope it helps.
28builder

Post by 28builder »

anybody know some of the early invitational times? and ceiling hts?
6nusher
State: NY

Post by 6nusher »

What time would be a good time (like an obvious medal) for regionals?
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

Honestly, that REALLY depends on a number of factors i.e. ceiling height, the site of the location, etc.

Generally, from what I've seen, I'd say anywhere 90 seconds and up is bound to place in noncompetitive regionals (120 seconds to be safe). Seeing how you're from NY, I'd like to go with 2 min+

Just had my regional. I will reiterate what I said before and emphasize it depends on the location. Numerous teams had flight times around 2-3 minutes coming in. But the ceiling at our regional had girders that made the effective height more like 15-16 feet (and there were three wires running the entire length of the room up there....) Then there were 20 people at the gym at a given time all walking and moving, creating eddies. All of this plus the fact they left the HVAC system on meant planes were dropping 6 feet out of nowhere. Only one team had a time over 80 seconds at the end of the day.
someusername
State: NE

Post by someusername »

Right now, my best time is about 3 minutes given that I have about a 2.5 story ceiling and little air currents. As long as you can mark your wing and control your climb, low ceilings don't seem to be a massive issue, besides the obvious problem of less descent time. Air currents on the other hand seem to be the worst problem that I have to deal with. You can have a 5 story high ceiling, but if there are bad air currents, a wright stuff plane usually has trouble fighting them.
simplicity is key...sometimes
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

someusername wrote:Right now, my best time is about 3 minutes given that I have about a 2.5 story ceiling and little air currents. As long as you can mark your wing and control your climb, low ceilings don't seem to be a massive issue, besides the obvious problem of less descent time. Air currents on the other hand seem to be the worst problem that I have to deal with. You can have a 5 story high ceiling, but if there are bad air currents, a wright stuff plane usually has trouble fighting them.
How are you getting your times so high? I have about the same type of ceiling, and little air currents, but i have gotten my highest time to be 1:40 :(
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
someusername
State: NE

Post by someusername »

InfiniCuber wrote:
How are you getting your times so high? I have about the same type of ceiling, and little air currents, but i have gotten my highest time to be 1:40 :(
It all comes down to if you know how to trim it. I was able to get 6th place at nationals( with a score of about 73) last year using the freedom flight model, but I saw some people at my state's tournament and other regional tournaments who could barely get 10 seconds per flight using the exact same model. The only difference is that I had trimmed my plane well enough and had tested it enough so that I knew exactly what it would do and how big its radius was.

What kind of issues are you having exactly? If your times aren't high, try adding some more winds onto the rubber band.
simplicity is key...sometimes

Return to “Wright Stuff C”