sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Preparation for Next Year

Post by sjwon3789 »

Hey guys,

I was hesitant in choosing this event in the beginning of the year, deciding between mission possible and wright stuff (Umm... what was I thinking :? ). I also do bridge, so over time, I've become interested in doing this event.

In preparation for next year, since I'm a bit behind everyone else who had exposure this year, is there any suggestions out there? I was thinking of buying the Freedom Flight Kit but I thought it would be a waste if I buy it this year and get some practice with it, then find out next year that the dimensions change, having to purchase possibly another kit. My friend proposed that I buy this kit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penny-Plane-Ind ... 1629221590 , just to get experience with Wright Stuff materials and because it's a lot cheaper than the other kit.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a site where you learned how to build it from scratch? I have ZERO knowledge in planes.
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
DoctaDave
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Preparation for Next Year

Post by DoctaDave »

Hey sjwon

It looks like a good kit and seems like a great deal based off of the pictures, but there aren't any reviews so its hard to tell if its actually a quality kit. Also this kit was made in japan so the instructions may be in japanese, which could be an issue.

One of the good things about the freedomflight kit is that it comes with an extremely detailed instructions booklet giving step by step instructions on how to build the model as well as instructions on how to trim the model. Plus the freedom flight kit comes with enough balsa and materials to make 2 full planes, which as a beginning flier you may need. The kit also includes enough rubber to make 24 motors.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

You absolutely can not beat a penny plane for 13.99 with free shipping. It will probably have heavy condenser paper vs the super thin plastic that most people use. You can substitute the thin plastic bags that you get in the produce area of stores like Publix. These are not the thicker plastic that you get at the check out counter.
You can get some experience with building and some flying which will make you ready for a Freedom Flight kit when the one for 2016 comes out in Oct. Dave's kits are good and very competitive, but a bit on the pricy side, so get a touch of experience this summer and be ready to play with the big boys in the fall.
Less_Incidence
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

Another thing to note: If you build a pennyplane and practice with it, that's a 3.2-gram model (Maybe heavier depending upon the kit, etc). When you build a WS plane for next year - which will most likely be 7-8 grams - it will seem like you're building a very heavy airplane and will probably feel easier than the pennyplane build. Also, if you start getting 6 or 8-minute flights with your pennyplane, don't expect the same performance out of an aircraft two and a half times heavier.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

ANY practicing with any design will help next year.

Penny Planes are good way to learn to build to weight. If you can fly a Penny Plane well, you can fly any WS rules plane well.

Any previous year Wright Stuff rules are adequate to develop expert skills and modifying to WHATEVER rules changes we make next year will me relatively minor effort.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

PS, if you are already one of the top WS flyers, consider AMA competition, F1D is your REAL challenge.
JeremyGerber
State: IN

Post by JeremyGerber »

We will be hosting a Fly it Day in Dec to help groups with the flight events. If you are new at this event or need help and you are close by, you might want to consider this. Info can be found at: http://www.ezwebsite.org/Page.asp?PID=14404
Chris_L
State: CA

Post by Chris_L »

We will be hosting a Fly it Day in Dec to help groups with the flight events. If you are new at this event or need help and you are close by, you might want to consider this.
I would love to do this :( too bad it's a little far from me :(
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"

Return to “Wright Stuff C”