Flights at Nationals

artysophia
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flights at Nationals

Post by artysophia »

bernard wrote:I found a really short video of part of a team's flight.
video of part of our flight (crash) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUssS0w6kPg
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

artysophia wrote:of part of our flight (crash) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUssS0w6kPg
Thanks for the video, and wow, the plane that caught up to yours was moving fast!
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

Here's my flight. Sorry if the quality is bad, as the video is still processing on youtube, but after an hour or so after this post goes up, the video quality should improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgIUvZQvPs

Enjoy.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

You made excellent use of the available flying height DoctaDave.

Too bad your airplane hit the wall on this flight. Drift can be an issue with high ceiling height venues. Also, the circular flight path of an indoor rubber powered stick model airplane will sometimes widen as the torque diminishes, sometimes causing the airplane to fly straight into the wall when it is in a so-called "dead stick" condition.

What happened on your other flight?

Thanks for posting the video.
DoctaDave

Post by DoctaDave »

I ended up breaking 2 motors after this flight, and I was about 1 winder turn from reaching the max when they both broke, so I had about 20 seconds to get another flight up and that wasn't enough time to wind a motor to 2500 turns. Luckily my first official flight went very well so I wasn't too unhappy with only getting in 1 official flight.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

DoctaDave -

Understood about the rubber motors breaking. There is an old adage in the sport of indoor duration flying. It goes like this: "If you are not breaking rubber motors, you are not winding enough." You did a great job in WS at Nationals.

It looks like you are on the Mira Loma team. Congratulations on your teams' second place overall finish at Nationals.

Did you happen to see how Troy's WS flights went at Nationals in Nebraska? I saw their WS team at the 2015 SoCal State finals, and but for two unfortunate events, that WS team would probably have finished 2nd, or possibly even 1st, in WS at that competition, against a very tough field.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

DoctaDave wrote:I ended up breaking 2 motors after this flight, and I was about 1 winder turn from reaching the max when they both broke, so I had about 20 seconds to get another flight up and that wasn't enough time to wind a motor to 2500 turns. Luckily my first official flight went very well so I wasn't too unhappy with only getting in 1 official flight.
If you aren't doing it already, I recommend winding your second motor during your first flight. I didn't and had the exact same issue as you - I broke two motors too! In my case, getting that second flight would have helped a ton since my first flight climbed about 2/3 of the way.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DoctaDave

Post by DoctaDave »

calgoddard wrote:DoctaDave -

Understood about the rubber motors breaking. There is an old adage in the sport of indoor duration flying. It goes like this: "If you are not breaking rubber motors, you are not winding enough." You did a great job in WS at Nationals.

It looks like you are on the Mira Loma team. Congratulations on your teams' second place overall finish at Nationals.

Did you happen to see how Troy's WS flights went at Nationals in Nebraska? I saw their WS team at the 2015 SoCal State finals, and but for two unfortunate events, that WS team would probably have finished 2nd, or possibly even 1st, in WS at that competition, against a very tough field.
Thanks for the kind words.

I saw troy practicing and it seemed their plane had no issue climbing to the max ceiling height. I believe that they went for a wing bonus just not sure which one and it seemed like they were getting decent times. I'm pretty sure they got 8th however I don't know if their official flight went as well they had hoped.
DoctaDave

Post by DoctaDave »

bernard wrote:
DoctaDave wrote:I ended up breaking 2 motors after this flight, and I was about 1 winder turn from reaching the max when they both broke, so I had about 20 seconds to get another flight up and that wasn't enough time to wind a motor to 2500 turns. Luckily my first official flight went very well so I wasn't too unhappy with only getting in 1 official flight.
If you aren't doing it already, I recommend winding your second motor during your first flight. I didn't and had the exact same issue as you - I broke two motors too! In my case, getting that second flight would have helped a ton since my first flight climbed about 2/3 of the way.
For the first few minutes I was watching my plane to make sure there wasn't any odd behavior and then when it had completed a decent portion of the descent, I went back to wind my next motor. I wasn't even aware that the plane drifted until my partner came and told me.
DoctaDave

Post by DoctaDave »

DoctaDave wrote:Here's my flight. Sorry if the quality is bad, as the video is still processing on youtube, but after an hour or so after this post goes up, the video quality should improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgIUvZQvPs

Enjoy.
Well I guess I must've uploaded the video in standard definition without realizing it. Here's the better version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldOesCd9p0

Return to “Wright Stuff C”