Disease Detectives B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » January 19th, 2015, 3:22 pm

*                     Disease        No disease
Exposure             7                  124
No exposure        1                   78

Calculate relative risk for this 2x2 table showing the association between wound infection and incidental appendectomy.
Question from this webpage

User avatar
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2113
Joined: January 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Seattle, WA
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by bernard » January 19th, 2015, 5:06 pm

The relative risk is (7/(7+124))/(1/(1+78)) which is equal to 4.22. This means someone who is exposed is 4.22 times as likely to develop the disease as someone who is not exposed.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » January 20th, 2015, 3:12 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:*                     Disease        No disease
Exposure             7                  124
No exposure        1                   78

Calculate relative risk for this 2x2 table showing the association between wound infection and incidental appendectomy.
Question from this webpage
bernard wrote:
The relative risk is (7/(7+124))/(1/(1+78)) which is equal to 4.22. This means someone who is exposed is 4.22 times as likely to develop the disease as someone who is not exposed.
Correctamundo! Your turn!
Last edited by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F on January 20th, 2015, 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 8th, 2015, 9:04 am

I guess I'll get this started again:
What are the reasons for investigating an outbreak?

User avatar
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 233
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Division: Grad
Location: Studying for Ento
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by SOnerd » February 8th, 2015, 9:40 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I guess I'll get this started again:
What are the reasons for investigating an outbreak?
Control or prevention of the health problem; Opportunity to learn (research opportunity); Public, political, or legal concerns; Public health program considerations; Training
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 8th, 2015, 11:12 am

Try again!
to figure out if a common infectious agent/organism cause this outbreak, to prevent additional cases from the same source, to tell how to prevent this problem in the future

User avatar
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 233
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Division: Grad
Location: Studying for Ento
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by SOnerd » February 8th, 2015, 12:22 pm

SOnerd wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I guess I'll get this started again:
What are the reasons for investigating an outbreak?
Control or prevention of the health problem; Opportunity to learn (research opportunity); Public, political, or legal concerns; Public health program considerations; Training
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Try again!
to figure out if a common infectious agent/organism cause this outbreak, to prevent additional cases from the same source, to tell how to prevent this problem in the future
Okay (I cheated and read your answer), that makes sense. I guess I'll ask now (although I technically didn't answer correctly). :)

List Hill's Criteria for Causation.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 8th, 2015, 1:39 pm

SOnerd wrote:
SOnerd wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I guess I'll get this started again:
What are the reasons for investigating an outbreak?
Control or prevention of the health problem; Opportunity to learn (research opportunity); Public, political, or legal concerns; Public health program considerations; Training
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Try again!
to figure out if a common infectious agent/organism cause this outbreak, to prevent additional cases from the same source, to tell how to prevent this problem in the future
Okay (I cheated and read your answer), that makes sense. I guess I'll ask now (although I technically didn't answer correctly). :)

List Hill's Criteria for Causation.
[list=a][*]Strength of Association [*]Consistency [*]Specificity [*]Alternative Explanations [*]Temporality [*]Dose-Response Relationship [*]Biological Plausibility [*]Experimental Evidence [*]Coherence[/list]

User avatar
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 233
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Division: Grad
Location: Studying for Ento
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by SOnerd » February 8th, 2015, 1:40 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: List Hill's Criteria for Causation.
[list=a][*]Strength of Association [*]Consistency [*]Specificity [*]Alternative Explanations [*]Temporality [*]Dose-Response Relationship [*]Biological Plausibility [*]Experimental Evidence [*]Coherence[/list]
Correct! Your turn!
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1523
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 8th, 2015, 1:58 pm

What was the real name of "Typhoid Mary," and what made her famous?

Locked

Return to “2015 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest