Solar System B

GoofyFoofer
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Solar System B

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Welcome to the Solar System Question Marathon 2015!
I'll kick off!
What is the moon Iapetus mainly composed of?
[Hint: it causes Iapetus to have a low density]
Last edited by zyzzyva980 on August 22nd, 2014, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solar System and Astronomy are too different; they require different QMs
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Solar System B

Post by Unome »

Ice
What main geological characteristic does Triton share with Io?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:
Ice
What main geological characteristic does Triton share with Io?
This is an interesting question as both bodies in question are geologically active. [b]Both moons have volcanic activity, although they differ in nature as I'll briefly explain below.[/b] 

On Io, lava flows are silicate (i.e. molten rock), containing basalt silicate lavas with either ultramafic or mafic  compositions iirc. Silicate pyroclastics are thrown into the air and volcanoes on Io are scattered all over the planet. The term for this type of volcanism is [b]silicate volcanism[/b]. However, on Triton, it is much colder, as it is much farther away from the sun. The silicate volcanism phenomena are instead with [i]ice[/i]* . The term for this is [b]Cryovolcanism[/b]. On Triton, they seem to be concentrated near the southern (and likely northern iirc) pole

*usually just frozen/really cold stuff, like various clathrade hydrates, nitrogen gas, etc.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I mostly just asked that question to learn stuff :D
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:I mostly just asked that question to learn stuff :D
so, assuming I got that question right...

For the JUICE mission, explain how the 3GM instrument works and the type of data that can collected from it
Stanford University
Ant-on-knee
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ant-on-knee »

Adi1008 wrote:
For the JUICE mission, explain how the 3GM instrument works and the type of data that can collected from it
The 3GM has a KA transponder and an ultra stable oscillator. It intends to measure the magnetic field of Ganymede and the extent of internal motions. I will also study the upper atmosphere of Jupiter and other Jovian moons.
I've thought of an epic signature and this space is too small to fit it. As of now, here are my events:
2015 Event- (Something)
Crave the Wave(-)
Simple Machines(-)
Solar System (-)
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Ant-on-knee wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
The 3GM has a KA transponder and an ultra stable oscillator. It intends to measure the magnetic field of Ganymede and the extent of internal motions. I will also study the upper atmosphere of Jupiter and other Jovian moons.
correct, your turn
Stanford University
Ant-on-knee

Post by Ant-on-knee »

Adi1008 wrote:

correct, your turn
What are the 4 theories for the formation of Iapetus's equatorial ridge?
I've thought of an epic signature and this space is too small to fit it. As of now, here are my events:
2015 Event- (Something)
Crave the Wave(-)
Simple Machines(-)
Solar System (-)
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Ant-on-knee wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:

correct, your turn
What are the 4 theories for the formation of Iapetus's equatorial ridge?
[b]1.[/b] Could be a remnant of an older Iapetus in which it spun a lot faster, height suggests a max. rotation time of 17 hours. If Iapetus cooled fast enough to preserve the ridge but remained plastic long enough for the tides raised by Saturn to have slowed the rotation to its current tidally locked 79 days, Iapetus must have been heated by the radioactive decay of aluminium-26. This isotope to be abundant in early solar system 
[b]2.[/b]The ridge could be icy diapir If it had formed away from the position of the equator at the time, this hypothesis requires that the rotational axis would have been driven to its current position by the ridge. 
[b]3.[/b] Iapetus could have had a ring system during its formation due to its large Hill sphere, and that the equatorial ridge was then produced by collisional accretion of this ring. However, the ridge appears too solid to be the result of a collapsed ring. Also, recent images show tectonic faults running through the ridge, probably isn’t true. The bulge is in isostatic equilibrium typical for terrestrial mountains. It means that under the bulge there is material of low density (roots) 
[b]4.[/b] Iapetus could have had a moon that went inside the Roche limit and was torn apart by the tidal forces. The debris formed the ridge as it came crashing down. The initial impacts made a small indentations that went around the planet, but it was soon filled up.
Stanford University
Ant-on-knee

Post by Ant-on-knee »

Adi1008 wrote:
[b]1.[/b] Could be a remnant of an older Iapetus in which it spun a lot faster, height suggests a max. rotation time of 17 hours. If Iapetus cooled fast enough to preserve the ridge but remained plastic long enough for the tides raised by Saturn to have slowed the rotation to its current tidally locked 79 days, Iapetus must have been heated by the radioactive decay of aluminium-26. This isotope to be abundant in early solar system 
[b]2.[/b]The ridge could be icy diapir If it had formed away from the position of the equator at the time, this hypothesis requires that the rotational axis would have been driven to its current position by the ridge. 
[b]3.[/b] Iapetus could have had a ring system during its formation due to its large Hill sphere, and that the equatorial ridge was then produced by collisional accretion of this ring. However, the ridge appears too solid to be the result of a collapsed ring. Also, recent images show tectonic faults running through the ridge, probably isn’t true. The bulge is in isostatic equilibrium typical for terrestrial mountains. It means that under the bulge there is material of low density (roots) 
[b]4.[/b] Iapetus could have had a moon that went inside the Roche limit and was torn apart by the tidal forces. The debris formed the ridge as it came crashing down. The initial impacts made a small indentations that went around the planet, but it was soon filled up.
Correct, your turn.
2015 Event- (Something)
Crave the Wave(-)
Simple Machines(-)
Solar System (-)

Return to “2015 Question Marathons”