Entomology B/C

mjcox2000
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 am
Division: C
State: VA
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby mjcox2000 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:20 am

henceagrin36 wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:Order, family, and common name:
Image


It's been a while...
Homoptera Cercopidae - froghoppers or spittlebugs

Correct! Your turn.
Nationals medals:
2014 SMach: 3rd
2014 WIDI: 2nd
2015 SumoBots (trial): 2nd
2015 SMach: 2nd
2018 Code Busters (trial): 1st

User avatar
henceagrin36
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 am
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby henceagrin36 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 am

Order, Family, Common Name, as always.
Bonus:
What term describes the condition suffered by the insect in the image? (hint: variation in the wing pattern of a butterfly species which is different in some way to the normal pattern)
How is that variation caused?

Image

//sorry about the small picture ;-;
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place


"I love bridge"
"Rock on"

ptkid
Member
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby ptkid » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:40 am

henceagrin36 wrote:Order, Family, Common Name, as always.
Bonus:
What term describes the condition suffered by the insect in the image? (hint: variation in the wing pattern of a butterfly species which is different in some way to the normal pattern)
How is that variation caused?

Image

//sorry about the small picture ;-;


Well I think it should be: Lepidoptera Papillionidae, Swallowtail Butterfly.
I have no clue about the condition though.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

User avatar
henceagrin36
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 5:54 am
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby henceagrin36 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:55 am

ptkid wrote:
henceagrin36 wrote:Order, Family, Common Name, as always.
Bonus:
What term describes the condition suffered by the insect in the image? (hint: variation in the wing pattern of a butterfly species which is different in some way to the normal pattern)
How is that variation caused?

Image

//sorry about the small picture ;-;


Well I think it should be: Lepidoptera Papillionidae, Swallowtail Butterfly.
I have no clue about the condition though.


Yes, you are correct! (however, -1 for spelling Papilionidae incorrectly :P)
Answer to bonus
Aberration - can be caused by extreme temperature changes or a fungal/bacterial infection during the pupal stage
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place


"I love bridge"
"Rock on"

ptkid
Member
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby ptkid » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:41 am

Order, family, and common name:
Image
Bonus:
What distinguishes this insect from other members of its order?
Define myiasis and name two other families on the Official list that also cause myiasis.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

CTMSRoadScholarKING
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am
Division: C
State: KS
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 am

ptkid wrote:Order, family, and common name:
Image
Bonus:
What distinguishes this insect from other members of its order?
Define myiasis and name two other families on the Official list that also cause myiasis.

Answer
This is Syrphidae(Hover/flower flies) in Diptera. Myiasis is parasitic infection of a mammal by a fly maggot. 2 other families that can do this is Callophoridae(blow flies) and Stratiomyidae(Soldier Flies)
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

ptkid
Member
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:54 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby ptkid » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:15 am

Correct, your turn!
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

CTMSRoadScholarKING
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am
Division: C
State: KS
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:39 am

ptkid wrote:Correct, your turn!

Thanks!
Here's the bug
Bug 2.jpg
Order, Family, Family common name, and what disease does it spread.
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

sarahm317
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby sarahm317 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:41 am

is it...
Hemiptera, Reduviidae, Assasin Bugs, and they are a vector of Chagas disease?

CTMSRoadScholarKING
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am
Division: C
State: KS
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:38 pm

sarahm317 wrote:
is it...
Hemiptera, Reduviidae, Assasin Bugs, and they are a vector of Chagas disease?

THAT IS CORRECT!! :mrgreen:
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

sarahm317
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby sarahm317 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:01 am

Order, family, common name, and which type of mimicry does this insect's family exhibit?
Image

CTMSRoadScholarKING
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am
Division: C
State: KS
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm

sarahm317 wrote:
Order, family, common name, and which type of mimicry does this insect's family exhibit?
Image

I Think
This is a Rove Beetle(Staphylinidae) in the order Coleoptera. Does it exhibit chemical mimicry :?: ?
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

sarahm317
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby sarahm317 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 am

CTMSRoadScholarKING wrote:
sarahm317 wrote:
Order, family, common name, and which type of mimicry does this insect's family exhibit?
Image

I Think
This is a Rove Beetle(Staphylinidae) in the order Coleoptera. Does it exhibit chemical mimicry :?: ?

All your ID is correct, but it actually exhibits wassmannian mimicry. Your turn!

CTMSRoadScholarKING
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am
Division: C
State: KS
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby CTMSRoadScholarKING » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks!
Here's the bug
Bug PIc for Scioly.jpg
Bug PIc for Scioly.jpg (3.5 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
So here are the questions.. Order, Family, Common Family Name, How to tell Male apart from Female(if you use the word ovipositor you are going to be wrong) and what are its front legs adapted for?
Events (St.J, Pembroke, Northland, Regionals)
Herpetology (4,6,4,)
Helicopters (2,5,6,)
Dynamic (NA,NA,NA,)
Overall (1,3,2,)
#tehentocult
#herpsisgoingtokillme

sarahm317
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Entomology B/C

Postby sarahm317 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:55 pm

CTMSRoadScholarKING wrote:Thanks!
Here's the bug
Bug PIc for Scioly.jpg
So here are the questions.. Order, Family, Common Family Name, How to tell Male apart from Female(if you use the word ovipositor you are going to be wrong) and what are its front legs adapted for?


answer
Hemiptera, Belostomatidae, Giant water bug, males carry eggs on their backs, and the front legs are raptorial


Return to “2015 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests