elephantower
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GeoLogic Mapping C

Post by elephantower »

silentsage wrote:
Assuming I set up this diagram right the depth is about 10.648m[attachment=0]geomapping.png[/attachment]
I believe that's correct. With SciOly season over early this year, I haven't been frequenting the forums as much, sorry :(
Your turn!
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

No problem at all, my season ended yesterday :( . I'm probably going to study geomapping all summer. Yay!

Anyway, here's the next question: What type of formations are El Capitan and Half-Dome in Yosemite (a single-word term), how did they form, and why are we able to see them now (think about the history of that area)? If you haven't heard of these, here are pictures: ImageImage
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

silentsage wrote:No problem at all, my season ended yesterday :( . I'm probably going to study geomapping all summer. Yay!

Anyway, here's the next question: What type of formations are El Capitan and Half-Dome in Yosemite (a single-word term), how did they form, and why are we able to see them now (think about the history of that area)? If you haven't heard of these, here are pictures:
[img]http://www.camerawest.com/cwblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Photo-by-Margaret-Hara2.jpg[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Half_dome_yosemite_national_park.jpg[/img][/quote]

1. Plutons (wild guess - I have no idea what you're looking for exactly; sorry)
2. massive igneous intrusions that were then uplifted and eroded away to form their specific steep walls
3. Surrounding rock eroded away/area in general uplifted, exposing the rock
Chris_L
Division: Grad

Post by Chris_L »

1. Batholith 2. Igneous Intrusion that was uplifted. 3. Erosion from Merced River and other rivers in area caused gorge to form beneath Half Dome and El Cap, exposing the sides of these giant igneous intrustions.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

Almost there, but I'll give it to you, Chris. Parts 1 and 2 are great, but the erosional process was glaciation--look at the shape of the valley.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
Chris_L

Post by Chris_L »

Ahh oops totally blanked on that, umm so for my question...What is the Moho and where is it?
Are there other discontinuities like this one? Name them all.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"
liberalartslover

Post by liberalartslover »

Moho is the boundary between the crust and the mantle. The Lehman discontinuity is inner core/outer core; the Gutenberg discontinuity is the outer core/mantle.
Chris_L

Post by Chris_L »

nice :) ur turn

liberalartslover

Post by liberalartslover »

What are two main factors in determining the viscosity of a magma? Also, what effect does each of them have (directly/inversely proportional)?
boomvroomshroom

Post by boomvroomshroom »

liberalartslover wrote:What are two main factors in determining the viscosity of a magma? Also, what effect does each of them have (directly/inversely proportional)?
Temperature and composition (% silica). Temperature is inverse (hotter magma is runnier) whereas silica is direct (more silica=thicker magma).

Return to “2015 Question Marathons”