Crave The Wave B

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Crave The Wave B

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

RontgensWallaby wrote:Correct. Funny, it's about 0.98889 radians.
What are "the shadow zones" and why do they exist?
RontgensWallaby
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RontgensWallaby »

ANS
[hide][/hide]Shadow zones are regions on Earth's surface which seismic waves from a given epicenter cannot reach. The S-wave shadow zone is anywhere past 104 deg and the P-wave shadow zone is between 104 deg and 140 deg. They occur because of the curving refraction of the seismic waves as they travel through the Earth's mantle and core (generally speed of sound increases as you go deeper). S-waves are stopped at the outer core, but P-waves can travel through. However, because the speed of sound in the outer core is slower, P-waves are refracted as they enter it.[hide][/hide]
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

RontgensWallaby wrote:
Shadow zones are regions on Earth's surface which seismic waves from a given epicenter cannot reach. The S-wave shadow zone is anywhere past 104 deg and the P-wave shadow zone is between 104 deg and 140 deg. They occur because of the curving refraction of the seismic waves as they travel through the Earth's mantle and core (generally speed of sound increases as you go deeper). S-waves are stopped at the outer core, but P-waves can travel through. However, because the speed of sound in the outer core is slower, P-waves are refracted as they enter it.
Correct, your turn!
RontgensWallaby

Yellow light with a wavelength of 570 nm passes through a single aperture with a width of 5*10^-6 m. What is the angular distance between two consecutive maxima if the resulting diffraction pattern is projected onto a screen?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
Scioly99
Division: B
State: TX

Post by Scioly99 »

I'm not sure if this is right, but I got 0.11425 rad
RontgensWallaby

Correct. Your turn (whoever it is that I should be addressing)!
Scioly99

Post by Scioly99 »

A jet plane flies at a constant altitude of 700m above ground. An observer on the ground hears a sonic boom 6 seconds after the plane passes directly overhead. what is the speed of the plane? (assume that the velocity of sound in air is constant at all altitudes)
RontgensWallaby

I've studied sonic booms before, but I don't know how to do this one... Is it...
1065.16m/s
Scioly99

Post by Scioly99 »

i Think that's right
RontgensWallaby

In retrospect, the question is unsolvable... Try it but replace the 6s with just 1s and see how what you get compares to mine.

Return to “2015 Question Marathons”