Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 28th, 2015, 6:59 pm

So...

Can I ask a question?

A car has a motor which rotates a _________ (simple machine). How efficient is this? (Guesstimate)

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3617
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby Unome » April 29th, 2015, 4:24 am

Fermi! (without exponents)
70%
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

jkang
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: October 17th, 2014, 8:49 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby jkang » April 29th, 2015, 7:20 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:So...

Can I ask a question?

A car has a motor which rotates a _________ (simple machine). How efficient is this? (Guesstimate)

Uhhh
wheel and axle, 99%?
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15

plaid suit guy2
Member
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: May 19th, 2013, 6:45 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby plaid suit guy2 » April 29th, 2015, 7:26 am

Unome wrote:
Answer


Definitely negative


Correct.

So I posted the question, then realized I would need the answers too, and then realized it was negative.
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 29th, 2015, 12:15 pm

jkang wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:So...

Can I ask a question?

A car has a motor which rotates a _________ (simple machine). How efficient is this? (Guesstimate)

Uhhh
wheel and axle, 99%?

Correct except I was asking how the motor was which is probably more in
the
30%-40% zone

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » May 13th, 2015, 12:21 pm

So, assume this is an ideal simple machine.

What type of machine is this? What is the IMA? Find x. Find the torque generated.
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

jkang
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: October 17th, 2014, 8:49 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby jkang » May 13th, 2015, 12:46 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:So, assume this is an ideal simple machine.

What type of machine is this? What is the IMA? Find x. Find the torque generated.
Untitled1.png

Answer
Uh probs a wheel and axle, can't really tell cuz MS Paint is pt cringe. Assuming that x is input, the IMA is 2.5. x = 32 N, and the torque generated (assuming only by x) is 320 Nm.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » May 13th, 2015, 12:53 pm

jkang wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:So, assume this is an ideal simple machine.

What type of machine is this? What is the IMA? Find x. Find the torque generated.
Untitled1.png

Answer
Uh probs a wheel and axle, can't really tell cuz MS Paint is pt cringe. Assuming that x is input, the IMA is 2.5. x = 32 N, and the torque generated (assuming only by x) is 320 Nm.

This was kind of a trick question...
Yes, it is a wheel and axle. The IMA is equal to 10m/8cm, which is 250. Therefore, the IMA is 250. x = 0 N (the arrows are facing perpendicular directions) and therefore, the torque is 0 Nm.

Your turn!


Return to “2015 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest