Ohio 2015

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote: Isn't the split run as part of the same organization? (As in, doesn't California "normally" exist as one state with two bids, and just split them between North and South?)
They run as different organizations, with different state directors. However they work well together and it's a little bit nebulous where they draw the line between north and south (it's nowhere near the geographic centerline of the state). However part of the 'deal' I think that created NorCal and SoCal orgs was they would split the 2 CA spots at Nationals.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Milankovitch1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Milankovitch1 »

I guess this is why is it called Science "Olympiad". At the US Olympic Track & Field (and swimming) Trials, often is the case is that the US can only send 2 participants per event to the Olympics, regardless of their times. which sometimes means that the 3rd fast American, who could be the 3rd fastest in the world, stays home. But the Olympics are more than about who is the fastest, it is about the spirit of global participation. Would going to Nationals (though I have ever been) be as exciting if there we only 7 states represented? Probably not. There is no perfect solution to SCIOLY nationals. Logistics dictate the number of teams. Good and dare I say great second and third place teams from some states will stay home, yep, got it! So if you are not going, root for your state, go Scioly! FYI, I have started studying for next year. Are you?
Play Hard - Have Fun
boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Chris_L wrote:Going on to what Boomvroomshroom was saying about SoCal. We have more teams than most of the rest of the states in the nation with 2 bids to the national tournament yet we only get 1. Especially with such a dominant school like Troy it is near impossible to go to Nats from our state even though we have some of the best and most competitive teams in the nation.
Imagine Irvine High School going to Nats.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

boomvroomshroom wrote:
Chris_L wrote:Going on to what Boomvroomshroom was saying about SoCal. We have more teams than most of the rest of the states in the nation with 2 bids to the national tournament yet we only get 1. Especially with such a dominant school like Troy it is near impossible to go to Nats from our state even though we have some of the best and most competitive teams in the nation.
Yeah, I have a friend at Irvine; he says their team is horrible, but he's probably exaggerating.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
boomvroomshroom

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Unome wrote:
boomvroomshroom wrote:
Yeah, I have a friend at Irvine; he says their team is horrible, but he's probably exaggerating.
They're actually not that bad. I just think their school cares more about/gives more attention to Academic Decathlon and SciBowl. Most teams in the OC region, unfortunately, aren't too serious about Scioly.
aditi
Division: B
State: PA

Post by aditi »

The Irvine High School page on the wiki is absolutely perfect. #goals :lol:
Props to whoever made that! :D
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
schist99centz
State: PA

Post by schist99centz »

[aditi] wrote:The Irvine High School page on the wiki is absolutely perfect. #goals :lol:
Do you know what place they usually get at States? What state are they even from?
Adi1008
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

schist99centz wrote:
[aditi] wrote:The Irvine High School page on the wiki is absolutely perfect. #goals :lol:
Do you know what place they usually get at States? What state are they even from?
Think they're from Southern California and usually get around 10th place at state. They got 14th this year

Edit: spelling
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
MrHaleStorm1
Division: B

Re: Ohio 2015-16

Post by MrHaleStorm1 »

When does your school start to organize and study for Scioly?
Unome
State: GA

Re: Ohio 2015-16

Post by Unome »

MrHaleStorm1 wrote:When does your school start to organize and study for Scioly?
My middle school has an introductory meeting on the first week of school, and starts intensely right from the beginning of the school year. My high school is more laid back, and starts a few weeks in and far less intensely.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”