Ohio 2015

Locked
chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2106
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by chalker » April 18th, 2015, 7:31 am

Unome wrote: Isn't the split run as part of the same organization? (As in, doesn't California "normally" exist as one state with two bids, and just split them between North and South?)
They run as different organizations, with different state directors. However they work well together and it's a little bit nebulous where they draw the line between north and south (it's nowhere near the geographic centerline of the state). However part of the 'deal' I think that created NorCal and SoCal orgs was they would split the 2 CA spots at Nationals.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Milankovitch1
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: November 15th, 2014, 10:19 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by Milankovitch1 » April 24th, 2015, 6:29 am

I guess this is why is it called Science "Olympiad". At the US Olympic Track & Field (and swimming) Trials, often is the case is that the US can only send 2 participants per event to the Olympics, regardless of their times. which sometimes means that the 3rd fast American, who could be the 3rd fastest in the world, stays home. But the Olympics are more than about who is the fastest, it is about the spirit of global participation. Would going to Nationals (though I have ever been) be as exciting if there we only 7 states represented? Probably not. There is no perfect solution to SCIOLY nationals. Logistics dictate the number of teams. Good and dare I say great second and third place teams from some states will stay home, yep, got it! So if you are not going, root for your state, go Scioly! FYI, I have started studying for next year. Are you?
Play Hard - Have Fun

User avatar
boomvroomshroom
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 19th, 2015, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by boomvroomshroom » April 25th, 2015, 10:52 am

Chris_L wrote:Going on to what Boomvroomshroom was saying about SoCal. We have more teams than most of the rest of the states in the nation with 2 bids to the national tournament yet we only get 1. Especially with such a dominant school like Troy it is near impossible to go to Nats from our state even though we have some of the best and most competitive teams in the nation.
Imagine Irvine High School going to Nats.

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by Unome » April 25th, 2015, 12:42 pm

boomvroomshroom wrote:
Chris_L wrote:Going on to what Boomvroomshroom was saying about SoCal. We have more teams than most of the rest of the states in the nation with 2 bids to the national tournament yet we only get 1. Especially with such a dominant school like Troy it is near impossible to go to Nats from our state even though we have some of the best and most competitive teams in the nation.
Imagine Irvine High School going to Nats.
Yeah, I have a friend at Irvine; he says their team is horrible, but he's probably exaggerating.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
boomvroomshroom
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 19th, 2015, 5:10 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by boomvroomshroom » April 26th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Unome wrote:
boomvroomshroom wrote:
Chris_L wrote:Going on to what Boomvroomshroom was saying about SoCal. We have more teams than most of the rest of the states in the nation with 2 bids to the national tournament yet we only get 1. Especially with such a dominant school like Troy it is near impossible to go to Nats from our state even though we have some of the best and most competitive teams in the nation.
Imagine Irvine High School going to Nats.
Yeah, I have a friend at Irvine; he says their team is horrible, but he's probably exaggerating.
They're actually not that bad. I just think their school cares more about/gives more attention to Academic Decathlon and SciBowl. Most teams in the OC region, unfortunately, aren't too serious about Scioly.

User avatar
aditi
Member
Member
Posts: 132
Joined: October 16th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by aditi » April 28th, 2015, 7:38 pm

The Irvine High School page on the wiki is absolutely perfect. #goals :lol:
Props to whoever made that! :D
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Image

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]

schist99centz
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: March 25th, 2014, 11:38 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by schist99centz » April 29th, 2015, 6:08 am

[aditi] wrote:The Irvine High School page on the wiki is absolutely perfect. #goals :lol:
Props to whoever made that! :D
Do you know what place they usually get at States? What state are they even from?

User avatar
Adi1008
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 497
Joined: December 6th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Austin, Texas
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Ohio 2015

Post by Adi1008 » April 29th, 2015, 9:02 am

schist99centz wrote:
[aditi] wrote:The Irvine High School page on the wiki is absolutely perfect. #goals :lol:
Props to whoever made that! :D
Do you know what place they usually get at States? What state are they even from?
Think they're from Southern California and usually get around 10th place at state. They got 14th this year

Edit: spelling
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

MrHaleStorm1
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: August 20th, 2015, 7:07 pm
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2015-16

Post by MrHaleStorm1 » August 24th, 2015, 6:06 am

When does your school start to organize and study for Scioly?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Ohio 2015-16

Post by Unome » August 24th, 2015, 1:10 pm

MrHaleStorm1 wrote:When does your school start to organize and study for Scioly?
My middle school has an introductory meeting on the first week of school, and starts intensely right from the beginning of the school year. My high school is more laid back, and starts a few weeks in and far less intensely.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Locked

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest