New York 2015

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2015

Post by syo_astro »

New York is more active than West Virginia to be fair ;). Also, the bright side is I haven't heard any raging controversies, but who knows, there's still a week. And there's also directly after states. Sadly I don't compete anymore, along with many way more active users :/. I know Syo is working about as hard as ever, and at that I do believe the others among the past top 10 teams are also working pretty hard. I am waiting to make a good luck post (or edit if nobody else posts) on Friday.

But ohoho, in the mean time predictions you say? Well, I can break this up into one main block, and then everything after. My expectation would be [Columbia/HHHE/FM/Syo/Ward] in some order (alphabetical so nobody can point to what I think :P), though I know most people probably are going to say Ward, FM, Columbia, HHHE/Syo. The top 5 is weird because they're ALL really good teams, and it does come down to a bit of luck here and there. Maybe some people would place Columbia higher from last year, but I wouldn't say that's for sure just considering how competitive that batch is. My personal bias would also just have me put Syo at first or second or something :P. After that I guess maybe Mount Academy unless they are deciding to bring up their studies to break the top 5, but I do think that's tough. Beyond that I don't know quite well, I see some teams get better in like the 7th-15th or so range, but even that's a bit inconsistent. I think the top 6 (because let's face it, Mount Academy is pretty dang good right now, so may as well include them) is kind of a wall. Remember to watch the live stream!

So basically my predictions are kind of useless since Syo will be best either way, haha (oh, bias...at least I can't get critiqued for it).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

I think I practically never double post, but I'll make an exception today. Good luck to NYSSO, competitors, and coaches. I hope all teams have a great time, and a major good luck to Syo!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
PastorisFilius
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PastorisFilius »

Good luck to all the teams competing at Le Moyne tonight and tomorrow!
B: CJAP, Experimental Design, Fossils, Heredity, MagLev, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Road Scholar, Write It Do It
C: Entomology, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Green Generation, Protein Modeling
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

By the way, if anyone's interested in taking a look, I will be attempting to do a live medal results spreadsheet for Division C:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy!
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
gunked

Post by gunked »

obviously this isn't the official grid. Is this correct though? Anyone have the complete results? Could up post them? I looked at the NY SO site but last year's still posted. That's cause it probably just ended and everyone's boarding buses and heading home.
nadroj

Post by nadroj »

Congrats to all!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

gunked wrote:obviously this isn't the official grid. Is this correct though? Anyone have the complete results? Could up post them? I looked at the NY SO site but last year's still posted. That's cause it probably just ended and everyone's boarding buses and heading home.
People on it are working from a picture I sent. It's from Syo, they posted it somewhere I can access and you can't ;). So essentially this is correct to what NYSSO currently has. There could be typos, and you may also see changes on the official scores (likely not save those typos) as these are technically tentative for some time after the competition (something like 5 days I heard in NJ, can't remember if it's precisely that for NY).

Good job to Syo :) (and those other teams haha, I'm sure they'll wreck it at nats ;) ). I also certainly give condolences to Mount Academy.

Hope everyone indeed had fun!
c-trast

Post by c-trast »

Ward Melville, say it ain't so...
'16 Ward Melville

Hydrogeology, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing (NYS Trial)
Regionals: -/1/3
NYC Regional

Post by NYC Regional »

caseyotis wrote:
syo_astro wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Wow. ME not going to States? I feel like that is a first.

Anybody have Capital District results?
Indeed, 1988 was the last time or so (based on the results history from the old site) since I think they may not have competed then (unsure). I'm quite surprised, and I also thought the region normally sends three teams, so that's something. They've been doing worse sometimes in recent years, but it's really been quite a fluctuation.

Also would've thought Capital District would've been up by now, but I guess not.
Yeah, the region normally does send two teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the director and whoever he was working with got confused and thought that it was supposed to be two teams when it was really supposed to be three because Vestal got first again. It's hard to tell.
I looked at the regional for Nassau West and in the Excel sheet, it said that regionals with 10-19 teams would send two teams but if a team that finished first or second in the previous year also finished first or second (order doesn't matter in that case), they would send an additional team. I don't know if that applies to New York state as a whole, but if it doesn't, I think it should. Most regionals have certain teams that consistently do well and some that don't do as well, and I think that this is an effective system to allow more teams to experience the state competition. If anything, I think it's one of the main reasons that Chenango Forks was able to beat Maine-Endwell this year, but that's just a theory.
The # of teams that get an invitation to the State Tournament from each region has changed and the "bonus team" rule has been done away with starting in 2015. The # of teams from each region is now determined by the percentage of the overall state registrations. For example, if there are 400 C teams registered in one year and there are 30 teams registered in a region, they would get 7.5% of the total invites. Thus, if the target % of teams is 54 teams, that region would get 4 teams. There are no more bonus teams. If the percentage falls of teams falls between 2 numbers (like 3.4 teams), it would be rounded up or down based on where the cutoff would be so that there can be 54 total teams.
gunked

Post by gunked »

The rest of us want to know about STATES

Did everyone going to states have a good time? My friend said almost everything was connected like tunnels so it was easy to get around even in the snow. Hum I guess builds didn't have to move around in the snow. Fellow NYers.

Chime in here.

Wake up this site. NYers are never supposed to be silent. NY never sleeps and never shuts up. We love opinions.

What did you like best?
What was most unexpected?
How did your events go?
Did you have any adventures on the way there or back?
What would you do differently if you could start it again or start SO again?
What are you most glad you did that you did not know was such a good idea?
How did you celebrate or drawn your sorrows?

Tell us about your experience so that the newbies next year can know all about what States is about.
Generate excitement for the rest of this year for those still competing and for next year.
Go out on a limb. If you are a stalker who doesn't contribute--let it all out now.

We want to hear your voice!!!

That is why you have one. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

SPEAK UP!

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”