Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2015

Post by annaphase »

Flavorflav wrote:
annaphase wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Lower Hudson often doesn't post, either. I have no idea what their results were last Saturday.
They're sending 5 teams as usual, most of them the same as usual. I don't know, however, whether they're going to make the scoring grid available
Do you have the top five?
Ardsley, Fox Lane and Byram Hills, not sure about the other two, sorry :/
"What are the squiggly things for?"~Protein Modeling
"150 degrees Celsius? Either this graph is wrong, or the only place this enzyme is active is in pigeon." ~Cell Bio
mntvw

Post by mntvw »

Seems to me that each region should post the grid. I can't think of a reason that could justify not making the results fully available for scrutiny. It should be public information. You have to wonder about people who conduct a contest but won't allow the results to be posted. Seems shady. What is going on that they can't release the results. It would be like having a race and not being willing to post all the times. Something's off about the regions that withhold the results.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

mntvw wrote:Seems to me that each region should post the grid. I can't think of a reason that could justify not making the results fully available for scrutiny. It should be public information. You have to wonder about people who conduct a contest but won't allow the results to be posted. Seems shady. What is going on that they can't release the results. It would be like having a race and not being willing to post all the times. Something's off about the regions that withhold the results.
A bit of advice I like to fall back on often in life (which can be worded a couple different ways): never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to incompetence. I have no idea regarding the specifics of this situation, but before you jump into conspiracy theories, consider it might just be they don't know how to post things electronically, or that it's a common practice elsewhere, etc. etc. etc. Tournament directors at the regional level often aren't anywhere near as experienced as state level directors.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Thanks chalker for giving the person good advice. The idea s/he stated is actually quite similar to what the user blockhead was saying last year. It could be a different person, but even if you went and read what blockhead said thinking that's a good idea to post again, it really isn't necessary. If they have some issue uploading the scores, then do you think your post will get seen by them, and they'll then suddenly decide to do fix their ways? Other people will be spurred on to change the administration there by seeing your post? Likely if they saw your post they'd just be annoyed at you, and they would be less inclined to listen to what you had to say ("attract more flies with honey than with vinegar"). People do still need to point out issues and then fix them. Who knows, if they're not technologically-inclined, then send a letter XD? caseyotis has at least tried talking to the people in his region, but of course to get change he can't be the only person sending in complaints. At that, you were pointing out "all the regions" that do this, and I can't say whether everyone is asking for change or trying to get help to change this.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

I'd just like to say that the way they did the awards ceremony at the Southern Tier regional was absolutely awful. There were medals for 3rd place and down, and they had the 4th place team up as well for an honorable mention. The problem was that they'd call the 3rd place team and then wait for them to come down, get their medals, have their pictures taken, and leave before calling up the next team. I've never had that happen at a competition before, and the result was that there were constant periods of agonizing waiting time to hear who got second and then first. It was absurd.

Anyway, other than that, it was relatively well-run and it ended early so whatever. It was unfortunate that they didn't actually run all of the events. They also released the final schedule about a week before the event, which was ridiculous, but I'm going to blame it on incompetence and leave it at that. Maybe the Southern Tier can keep a regional director for more than a year. We'll see.

Anyway, apparently, only the top two teams went to states. This was contrary to what I had thought, which was that for regions with 11-20 teams, they would send the top two and if the top team had won previously, then a third place team would go. It may be that the top two would have to be the same for a third team to qualify, but I can't remember and I can't remember where I read that. Anyway, it didn't matter too much to me because we still wouldn't have made it.

The results were as follows:
1) Vestal A (45 points) (16 medals - 11 1st place)
2) Chenango Forks (74) (9 - 5)

3) Maine-Endwell (79) (12 - 1)
4) Ithaca (95) (9 - 2)
5) Union-Endicott A (137) (3)
6) Seton A (167) (4 - 1)
7) Vestal B (179) (0)
8) Corning (186) (2)
9) Deposit Central (189) (3)
10) Sidney (202) (0)
11) Tioga Central (212) (1)
12) Chenango Valley (227) (0)
13) Union-Endicott B (229) (1)
14) Johnson City (254) (0)
edit: added # of medals (3rd, 2nd, or 1st)
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Wow. ME not going to States? I feel like that is a first.

Anybody have Capital District results?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Flavorflav wrote:Wow. ME not going to States? I feel like that is a first.

Indeed, 1988 was the last time or so (based on the results history from the old site) since I think they may not have competed then (unsure). I'm quite surprised, and I also thought the region normally sends three teams, so that's something. They've been doing worse sometimes in recent years, but it's really been quite a fluctuation.

Also would've thought Capital District would've been up by now, but I guess not.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
BroNiSciGuy

Post by BroNiSciGuy »

Capitol District State Quals: Columbia, Bethlehem, Voorhesville and Ballston Spa
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

syo_astro wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Wow. ME not going to States? I feel like that is a first.

Indeed, 1988 was the last time or so (based on the results history from the old site) since I think they may not have competed then (unsure). I'm quite surprised, and I also thought the region normally sends three teams, so that's something. They've been doing worse sometimes in recent years, but it's really been quite a fluctuation.

Also would've thought Capital District would've been up by now, but I guess not.
Yeah, the region normally does send two teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the director and whoever he was working with got confused and thought that it was supposed to be two teams when it was really supposed to be three because Vestal got first again. It's hard to tell.
I looked at the regional for Nassau West and in the Excel sheet, it said that regionals with 10-19 teams would send two teams but if a team that finished first or second in the previous year also finished first or second (order doesn't matter in that case), they would send an additional team. I don't know if that applies to New York state as a whole, but if it doesn't, I think it should. Most regionals have certain teams that consistently do well and some that don't do as well, and I think that this is an effective system to allow more teams to experience the state competition. If anything, I think it's one of the main reasons that Chenango Forks was able to beat Maine-Endwell this year, but that's just a theory.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
gunked

Post by gunked »

Where is everybody. New York used to be very active. Are you going to states? Are you excited? Are you nervous? Any predictions? How far do you have to drive? Just pick a topic and run with it!

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”