New York 2015

gunked
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2015

Post by gunked »

Syo Astro, This forum wasn't very active and thought posting might liven things up and add some fun too. :D The idea was to encourage posts by those who want to post not by those who don't want to post. That was it. No more. No less. Not too concerned about how one thread compares to another or how one state compares to another. You can love science and have fun too! :lol: :lol: Nobody needs to feel pressured tho. That would be :arrow: :cry: So let's all have :lol: instead.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Hah, sorry I wasn't clear...that was mostly to Unome (with the mention of Georgia having more...of course it does, Unome, you're awesomely a very active user right now, along with some others!).

I understand encouragement, but I think you also get what I mean by saying that NY scioly members this year sadly just aren't as active :/. Unfortunately considering C states just passed by and that there still aren't too many "super active" NYers posting means at most we may get another batch by Div B states and that's probably it. I think I said before states even a thankful point about that is at least there doesn't seem to be really a controversy of any sort, which is always great. The other bright side is while it may be more fun to have lots of posts and discussions, it's not like there's no discussion or spamming (nobody would ever beat that one year of IL for lengthiness anyway).

Though, did you not compete this year, and/or any of the questions you could answer about yourself? I would answer, but I think one could explore my posts if they wanted to know at least a little about me ;).

You were also wondering about whether that spreadsheet was correct. Just to clear it up, here is a picture of the results (I guess tentative until officially stated correct) from Syracuse news or something: http://media.syracuse.com/news/other/20 ... d_2015.pdf. Summary seemed to be was that everyone was bringing HEAVY competition, Mount Academy would've of course made the scores even closer. So when people say very good job here, it is certainly meant. Makes me think last year would've had the scores for Columbia and FM bump up if Ward were there. Glad to see NY is competitive as ever, and also that the teams that are going to nats are cycling spots (at least across the past 5 years the placings have mixed up a little compared to the past), hopefully Syo, HHHE, or even Mount Academy or something will one day get their day ignoring some kind of Dark Horse :).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

Unome wrote:
gunked wrote:For the sake of accuracy, Columbia went from 2nd to 1st in one year right? Not from 3'rd to 2nd in one year even though they'd been 3rd in the past.
Yes, 3rd was Half-Hollow Hills East in 2013.
Whoops, thought that Columbia that 3rd that year. But you're right, it was HHHE.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
blockhead

Post by blockhead »

Anyone know if the awards ceremony that was streamed is also available to watch now? Missed it but would love to see it. If it was streamed does that mean it was also recorded? Suppose I should add that I mean the Division C States results.
darkdeserthighway

Post by darkdeserthighway »

gunked wrote:darkdeserthighway, did you participate in that? Was it fun? Did you guys have a big banner?
@gunked :

Yeah, I was the banner holder at the ceremony. It felt good to be recognized, as we're a pretty small school. I'd say we had a decent-sized banner, but nowhere near as large as other schools' flags :shock: Our banner was homemade, though!
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
fantasyfan
Division: C

Post by fantasyfan »

Does anybody know if the B division states will be livestreamed, and if so where i will be able to find it?
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
PastorisFilius

Post by PastorisFilius »

Congratulations to Paul Gelinas, Eagle Hill, C. P. Weber and all the other teams that competed today!
B: CJAP, Experimental Design, Fossils, Heredity, MagLev, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Road Scholar, Write It Do It
C: Entomology, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Green Generation, Protein Modeling
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

Congratulations to everyone who participated yesterday!

Does anyone have access to the full results? I don't see it up yet.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
c-trast

Post by c-trast »

'16 Ward Melville

Hydrogeology, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing (NYS Trial)
Regionals: -/1/3
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Hi guys, I know that some NY-ers here have competed in Triple E before, so I'm posting my question in this thread:

When the rules say "student-made note cards," does that necessarily mean they have to be hand-written? Or are you allowed to type up your text, and glue/tape it onto the card?

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”