New York 2015

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: New York 2015

Post by Unome »

gunked wrote:...
NYers are never supposed to be silent. NY never sleeps and never shuts up. We love opinions.
Agreed, even Georgia is longer than New York right now.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by caseyotis »

NYC Regional wrote:
caseyotis wrote: Yeah, the region normally does send two teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the director and whoever he was working with got confused and thought that it was supposed to be two teams when it was really supposed to be three because Vestal got first again. It's hard to tell.
I looked at the regional for Nassau West and in the Excel sheet, it said that regionals with 10-19 teams would send two teams but if a team that finished first or second in the previous year also finished first or second (order doesn't matter in that case), they would send an additional team. I don't know if that applies to New York state as a whole, but if it doesn't, I think it should. Most regionals have certain teams that consistently do well and some that don't do as well, and I think that this is an effective system to allow more teams to experience the state competition. If anything, I think it's one of the main reasons that Chenango Forks was able to beat Maine-Endwell this year, but that's just a theory.
The # of teams that get an invitation to the State Tournament from each region has changed and the "bonus team" rule has been done away with starting in 2015. The # of teams from each region is now determined by the percentage of the overall state registrations. For example, if there are 400 C teams registered in one year and there are 30 teams registered in a region, they would get 7.5% of the total invites. Thus, if the target % of teams is 54 teams, that region would get 4 teams. There are no more bonus teams. If the percentage falls of teams falls between 2 numbers (like 3.4 teams), it would be rounded up or down based on where the cutoff would be so that there can be 54 total teams.
Interesting. Thanks for this.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

Congrats to FM and especially to Columbia!

Going from 3rd to 2nd to 1st in 3 years is phenomenal.

Hope you guys enjoyed the Fossils event, I was one of the guys running it.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
gunked

Post by gunked »

For the sake of accuracy, Columbia went from 2nd to 1st in one year right? Not from 3'rd to 2nd in one year even though they'd been 3rd in the past.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

gunked wrote:For the sake of accuracy, Columbia went from 2nd to 1st in one year right? Not from 3'rd to 2nd in one year even though they'd been 3rd in the past.
Yes, 3rd was Half-Hollow Hills East in 2013.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
darkdeserthighway

Post by darkdeserthighway »

gunked wrote:The rest of us want to know about STATES

Did everyone going to states have a good time? My friend said almost everything was connected like tunnels so it was easy to get around even in the snow. Hum I guess builds didn't have to move around in the snow. Fellow NYers.

Chime in here.

Wake up this site. NYers are never supposed to be silent. NY never sleeps and never shuts up. We love opinions.

What did you like best?
What was most unexpected?
How did your events go?
Did you have any adventures on the way there or back?
What would you do differently if you could start it again or start SO again?
What are you most glad you did that you did not know was such a good idea?
How did you celebrate or drawn your sorrows?

Tell us about your experience so that the newbies next year can know all about what States is about.
Generate excitement for the rest of this year for those still competing and for next year.
Go out on a limb. If you are a stalker who doesn't contribute--let it all out now.

We want to hear your voice!!!

That is why you have one. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

SPEAK UP!

I thought the pre-awards live-stream display of team banners was interesting. This was the first time in my four years of states that they've done something like that.

On another note, my Science Olympiad career is over... it's been fun
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
gunked

Post by gunked »

darkdeserthighway, did you participate in that? Was it fun? Did you guys have a big banner?
wattispower

Post by wattispower »

I participated in the banner ceremony... my school didn't have a banner though. So we just used my senior sweatshirt as the banner. It was pretty funny. I wasn't a competitor at the competition (I was on my schools B team) so I already technically ended my career at regionals, but this competition was also my last. :(
Syosset HS Alum '15 | Purdue University Science Olympiad '20
gunked

Post by gunked »

Well Wattispower, that was a good way to go out then-in a banner of glory!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

I think trying to ask people to say so much won't necessarily get them to say more...you say this forum isn't active, but you should look at the Michigan one. That is even WORSE when you think about it considering how MI is also quite competitive. It's just a matter of having the active users, which depends on the year. To those that have ended careers, I did too at this point, and at least I think you'll still have good times ahead! There's definitely the need for at the very least many regionals across the nation to get help (outside the higher-level tournys). I'm sure it was fun, especially I know wattispower had a fun year ;).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”