New York 2015

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2015

Postby Flavorflav » February 9th, 2015, 5:27 am

Wow. ME not going to States? I feel like that is a first.

Anybody have Capital District results?

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » February 9th, 2015, 9:41 am

Indeed, 1988 was the last time or so (based on the results history from the old site) since I think they may not have competed then (unsure). I'm quite surprised, and I also thought the region normally sends three teams, so that's something. They've been doing worse sometimes in recent years, but it's really been quite a fluctuation.

Also would've thought Capital District would've been up by now, but I guess not.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

BroNiSciGuy
Division: C

Postby BroNiSciGuy » February 9th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Capitol District State Quals: Columbia, Bethlehem, Voorhesville and Ballston Spa
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA

caseyotis

Postby caseyotis » February 12th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Indeed, 1988 was the last time or so (based on the results history from the old site) since I think they may not have competed then (unsure). I'm quite surprised, and I also thought the region normally sends three teams, so that's something. They've been doing worse sometimes in recent years, but it's really been quite a fluctuation.

Also would've thought Capital District would've been up by now, but I guess not.
Yeah, the region normally does send two teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the director and whoever he was working with got confused and thought that it was supposed to be two teams when it was really supposed to be three because Vestal got first again. It's hard to tell.
I looked at the regional for Nassau West and in the Excel sheet, it said that regionals with 10-19 teams would send two teams but if a team that finished first or second in the previous year also finished first or second (order doesn't matter in that case), they would send an additional team. I don't know if that applies to New York state as a whole, but if it doesn't, I think it should. Most regionals have certain teams that consistently do well and some that don't do as well, and I think that this is an effective system to allow more teams to experience the state competition. If anything, I think it's one of the main reasons that Chenango Forks was able to beat Maine-Endwell this year, but that's just a theory.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

gunked

Postby gunked » March 8th, 2015, 9:14 am

Where is everybody. New York used to be very active. Are you going to states? Are you excited? Are you nervous? Any predictions? How far do you have to drive? Just pick a topic and run with it!

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » March 8th, 2015, 2:22 pm

New York is more active than West Virginia to be fair ;). Also, the bright side is I haven't heard any raging controversies, but who knows, there's still a week. And there's also directly after states. Sadly I don't compete anymore, along with many way more active users :/. I know Syo is working about as hard as ever, and at that I do believe the others among the past top 10 teams are also working pretty hard. I am waiting to make a good luck post (or edit if nobody else posts) on Friday.

But ohoho, in the mean time predictions you say? Well, I can break this up into one main block, and then everything after. My expectation would be [Columbia/HHHE/FM/Syo/Ward] in some order (alphabetical so nobody can point to what I think :P), though I know most people probably are going to say Ward, FM, Columbia, HHHE/Syo. The top 5 is weird because they're ALL really good teams, and it does come down to a bit of luck here and there. Maybe some people would place Columbia higher from last year, but I wouldn't say that's for sure just considering how competitive that batch is. My personal bias would also just have me put Syo at first or second or something :P. After that I guess maybe Mount Academy unless they are deciding to bring up their studies to break the top 5, but I do think that's tough. Beyond that I don't know quite well, I see some teams get better in like the 7th-15th or so range, but even that's a bit inconsistent. I think the top 6 (because let's face it, Mount Academy is pretty dang good right now, so may as well include them) is kind of a wall. Remember to watch the live stream!

So basically my predictions are kind of useless since Syo will be best either way, haha (oh, bias...at least I can't get critiqued for it).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » March 13th, 2015, 10:23 am

I think I practically never double post, but I'll make an exception today. Good luck to NYSSO, competitors, and coaches. I hope all teams have a great time, and a major good luck to Syo!

PastorisFilius

Postby PastorisFilius » March 13th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Good luck to all the teams competing at Le Moyne tonight and tomorrow!
B: CJAP, Experimental Design, Fossils, Heredity, MagLev, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Road Scholar, Write It Do It
C: Entomology, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Green Generation, Protein Modeling

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lumosityfan » March 14th, 2015, 1:26 pm

By the way, if anyone's interested in taking a look, I will be attempting to do a live medal results spreadsheet for Division C:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy!
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
2016-19 UCC Regs Astronomy ES, 2018 NJ States Astronomy ES, 2017 Princeton Helicopters ES, 2018 Princeton WGYN ES

gunked

Postby gunked » March 14th, 2015, 5:55 pm

obviously this isn't the official grid. Is this correct though? Anyone have the complete results? Could up post them? I looked at the NY SO site but last year's still posted. That's cause it probably just ended and everyone's boarding buses and heading home.

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”