State: GA

Re: Georgia 2015

Post by Unome »

Jaol wrote:
rfscoach wrote:
samlan16 wrote: Oh wow.
Yes. Ouch!
So.... no C team?
No C team (which drops 15-20 teams off of the total count).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
samlan16
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Post by samlan16 »

Unome wrote:
Jaol wrote: So.... no C team?
No C team (which drops 15-20 teams off of the total count).
On the bright side, Brookwood cannot have 4 teams at one regional tournament!
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Im curious to why your state wont allow more than 2 teams? A school bringing more teams doesn't further their cause or chances of doing well. Sending more teams allows more students to benefit from science Olympiad and get involved. My school brings 4 teams to regionals in florida and 3 teams to states. We even won 1st and 2nd in the state, but we were only allowed to bring one team to nationals so our A team went and the third place team got to go (our state sends 2 teams to nats)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

windu34 wrote:Im curious to why your state wont allow more than 2 teams? A school bringing more teams doesn't further their cause or chances of doing well. Sending more teams allows more students to benefit from science Olympiad and get involved. My school brings 4 teams to regionals in florida and 3 teams to states. We even won 1st and 2nd in the state, but we were only allowed to bring one team to nationals so our A team went and the third place team got to go (our state sends 2 teams to nats)
I'm guessing they want to even the playing field a bit and give smaller schools a chance, since they're too lazy to make new regional tournaments. We had around 10 schools across B and C division bring multiple teams last year, so several schools with only one team could not compete.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

My guess is that it's just due to logistics -- the host schools may be running out of available rooms/spaces for events or team homerooms, and literally unable to accommodate more teams (especially if GA, like many other states, runs B and C Regionals simultaneously). And if the tournament's running at full capacity, it'd be better to turn away Team C from a school with four teams than to have to turn away Team A from a school that maybe only has one team.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Unome

Post by Unome »

AlphaTauri wrote:My guess is that it's just due to logistics -- the host schools may be running out of available rooms/spaces for events or team homerooms, and literally unable to accommodate more teams (especially if GA, like many other states, runs B and C Regionals simultaneously). And if the tournament's running at full capacity, it'd be better to turn away Team C from a school with four teams than to have to turn away Team A from a school that maybe only has one team.
If they wanted that to happen, they could just allow three teams but cut the C teams in reverse order of registration for additional B & C teams, as some invitationals do now (and GA B is never full, but GA C always is). As far as I know, their are no simultaneously run regionals.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Unome wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:My guess is that it's just due to logistics -- the host schools may be running out of available rooms/spaces for events or team homerooms, and literally unable to accommodate more teams (especially if GA, like many other states, runs B and C Regionals simultaneously). And if the tournament's running at full capacity, it'd be better to turn away Team C from a school with four teams than to have to turn away Team A from a school that maybe only has one team.
If they wanted that to happen, they could just allow three teams but cut the C teams in reverse order of registration for additional B & C teams, as some invitationals do now (and GA B is never full, but GA C always is). As far as I know, their* are no simultaneously run regionals.
[coughcough]there*[/coughcough]
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
samlan16

Post by samlan16 »

Unome wrote:
If they wanted that to happen, they could just allow three teams but cut the C teams in reverse order of registration for additional B & C teams, as some invitationals do now (and GA B is never full, but GA C always is). As far as I know, their are no simultaneously run regionals.
Well, that's our honorable state director for you.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

Unome wrote:
B State registration never completely fills up, but many B Regional sites are full every year.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by rfscoach »

samlan16 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Well, that's our honorable state director for you.
I would not blame it on him. He seems to be more of a figurehead these days.

Unome - don't yell at me for the double post.
Last edited by rfscoach on August 12th, 2015, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Return to “2015 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”