2015 National Tournament: University of Nebraska

bobo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2015 National Tournament: University of Nebraska

Post by bobo »

I agree that the trial events were off the mark this year. The roller coaster was done in a small room. It was really crowded and limited to probably 15-20 people in the room watching. The event supervisor did the best they can to control the crowd and I think they did a great job given the situation. The sumobot was held in a lab with windows to the corridor. It was horrendous. People were standing up on the bench to peek inside. The ceremony was a bad decision. It really belittled the trial events. It was supposed to be 3:00, but they didn't announce until 3:30 or so. Imagine, there were B and C trials with 4 events each. If all the teams show up, how many people would be there??? There were tons of people crowded into the lobby. Our team was forced to stand outside and didn't know what was going on inside. It was very disappointing. Also, the medals were smaller and much lower quality than the regular medals. I am sure the winners were glad that they won, but I feel that they were shortchanged. They spent as much time as other students competing at regular events. With only 3 medals awarded, the odd of getting one is as low as regular events. The event supervisors were great. I just don't understand why the organizer would want to demote the status of trial events.
hotchocolate123 wrote:Also, I know trial events aren't as important as the 23 national events, but I really disliked the way Nebraska presented the trial awards this year. From my 4 years at being at nationals, every year (except this year) the trial events were announced at the awards ceremony and the competitors received a Science Olympiad medal. This year, (in my honest opinion) it just seemed like they were belittling the trial events. Not only did they separate the awards, but the medals were imprinted with a large University of Nebraska logo and the word "Trial Event". I got the fortune of sitting up close to the announcer, and the results were simply read off a sheet of notebook paper in the corner of the venue. Of course, this is just me being nit picky on certain things, but I just don't see the need to change the way trial events were presented before. After all, I'm pretty sure the competitors who participated in the trial events studied just as hard as those who competed in the actual events.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

XJcwolfyX wrote:
asdfqwerzzz2 wrote:I've only been to two national tournaments (NE and UCF) and I was wondering how NE compared to previous national tournaments. In my opinion, UCF was slightly better than NE, probably due to their extensive opening/closing ceremony. However, in terms of everything, including logistics, event supervising, etc., which national tournament has been the best in your opinion? This question is mostly targeted those with huge amounts of nationals experience.
There will be no National Tournament greater than the one at UW Madison in 2011.

This (2011) was one of the best opening/closing ceremonies and housing in recent history (but UCF opening last year was good too). But, that is just my opinion.
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

JonB wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:
asdfqwerzzz2 wrote:I've only been to two national tournaments (NE and UCF) and I was wondering how NE compared to previous national tournaments. In my opinion, UCF was slightly better than NE, probably due to their extensive opening/closing ceremony. However, in terms of everything, including logistics, event supervising, etc., which national tournament has been the best in your opinion? This question is mostly targeted those with huge amounts of nationals experience.
There will be no National Tournament greater than the one at UW Madison in 2011.

This (2011) was one of the best opening/closing ceremonies and housing in recent history (but UCF opening last year was good too). But, that is just my opinion.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have each individual participant's names written last year? That's dedication...
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
jkang
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by jkang »

Videos from the Nationals tournament are up!
Opening Ceremony
Div B Awards
Div C Awards
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
SOperson1

Post by SOperson1 »

Hi Chalker, do you know if results for Endangered Exotic Extinct will ever be posted?
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

SOperson1 wrote:Hi Chalker, do you know if results for Endangered Exotic Extinct will ever be posted?
They are still looking for them. The piece of paper they were on was somehow misplaced early Saturday morning.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sciolylover13

Post by sciolylover13 »

awesome90220 wrote:
I believe that there should be a forum for pick-me-ups for those who screw up at nationals(like me)

Edit: If any of you saw me, I was the one after B division award ceremony with the sunglasses on, trying to prevent everyone from seeing the tears welling up in my eyes. :cry: A bit later I was just the :cry: tall asian kid crying , sitting on the ground above the bleachers. Just wanted to throw that out and see if anyone saw me
I saw you. I'm on your team though... if this is the person I think it is... :?:
Last edited by sciolylover13 on June 10th, 2015, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
sciolyboy123

Post by sciolyboy123 »

sciolylover13 wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:
I believe that there should be a forum for pick-me-ups for those who screw up at nationals(like me)

Edit: If any of you saw me, I was the one after B division award ceremony with the sunglasses on, trying to prevent everyone from seeing the tears welling up in my eyes. :cry: A bit later I was just the :cry: tall asian kid crying , sitting on the ground above the bleachers. Just wanted to throw that out and see if anyone saw me
I saw you. I'm on your team though... if this is the person I think it is... :?:
Yes, it is him. I am also on your team.
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)
sciolylover13

Post by sciolylover13 »

sciolyboy123 wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:

Bet ya don't know who this is... :D
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

sciolylover13 wrote:
sciolyboy123 wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:
Bet ya don't know who this is... :D

Now I know how forever felt... And yes, I do know who you are

On a side note, is anyone else not getting notif's for quotes? This shouldn't be here, but this is where I started noticing this problem, so...
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

Return to “2015 Nationals”