bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Unofficial Rankings: Div. B

Post by bernard »

samlan16 wrote:JCB's team no longer exists. Their head coach retired, and all the other coaches went to Macintosh HS.

Also, remind me: who is SAA?
I think SAA is Science & Arts Academy from Illinois, which placed 18th at the national tournament last year.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:
samlan16 wrote:JCB's team no longer exists. Their head coach retired, and all the other coaches went to Macintosh HS.

I think SAA is Science & Arts Academy from Illinois, which placed 18th at the national tournament last year.
Most likely; I would agree that they have a good chance of beating Marie Murphy again.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

bernard wrote:

Yeah, SAA is Science and Arts Academy. I didn't know about JC Booth, that's sad to hear. There was a mistake in the scores last year; instead of getting 32nd in WQ, SAA was supposed to be tied for third iirc. That makes them 14th, not 18th. imo that's pretty good since I think that was their first year and I think they'll only improve.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by John Richardsim »

Adi1008 wrote:
bernard wrote:

Yeah, SAA is Science and Arts Academy. I didn't know about JC Booth, that's sad to hear. There was a mistake in the scores last year; instead of getting 32nd in WQ, SAA was supposed to be tied for third iirc. That makes them 14th, not 18th. imo that's pretty good since I think that was their first year and I think they'll only improve.
Wait, Marie Murphy isn't out this year, right? I'm pretty sure with Marie Murphy around it is still WAY too soon to be calling shots on IL Div B.
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

John Richardsim wrote: Wait, Marie Murphy isn't out this year, right? I'm pretty sure with Marie Murphy around it is still WAY too soon to be calling shots on IL Div B.
My bad, completely forgot about them. They're another good team that could do very well at nationals if they make it out. Illinois B is going to be a bloodbath.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Adi1008 wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: Wait, Marie Murphy isn't out this year, right? I'm pretty sure with Marie Murphy around it is still WAY too soon to be calling shots on IL Div B.
My bad, completely forgot about them. They're another good team that could do very well at nationals if they make it out. Illinois B is going to be a bloodbath.
Accurate description :lol: ...at this time, I don't expect Science & Arts to secure a National bid again, but weirder things have happened at the IL State tournament. There are two other teams that could, in a pinch, inch up to top two, as well. DW and MM are most probable, though.
ckssv07
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by ckssv07 »

I will end up posting an actual full ranking later, but for right now I will say that this is by far, in my opinion, the best Solon middle school team I have seen in the past five years. For some context both of Solon's teams beat Daniel Wright at the mentor invitational in Ohio. with the scores being as followed
Solon:98
Solon:135
DW:142
Dw:203
They also went well under 100 points at their own tournament, if I remember correctly.
Furthermore, getting 1st and 5th at Wright State is extremely impressive especially when their first team won by 25 points, and their second team was 15 points away from 3rd.
So I am calling that Solon will not only win again this year, but also break their previous point record.
Fibonacci924
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

Chippewa Middle School is back in business. Hopefully we will bring pride to Minnesota!
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators
schist99centz
State: PA

Post by schist99centz »

1. Solon
2. Winston Churchill
3. Meads Mill
4. Beckendorff
5. Marie Murphy
6. Daniel Wright
7. Muscatel
8. Piedmont
9. Mentor Memorial
10. Gelinas/Eagle Hill/Ladue/Auburn/Springhouse/Shadyside/Pembroke-Hill
I honestly have no clue for 10th place at this year's national tournament

EDIT: I earlier had Magsig, instead of Mentor Memorial
Last edited by schist99centz on April 12th, 2015, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azuritemalachite
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azuritemalachite »

Yay this topic again! Overall notes:
Beckedorff isn't going to play easy because I've seen their trailer (we parked next to it somehow) with all their scores on it at Nats last year and they won't want a bad mark to put to show. I've met the head coach for Gelinas and he seems more relaxed and his specialty is glaciers (geo-stuff too) and with the change it may knock back some people, but I'm not sure. Last year I'm sure no one put Beckendorff on their list except one and it was a real disaster when it came to the results as some were completely unexpected. I see almost the exact same lists this year as last year. you never know what schools the wind might knock up.
My list:
1) Piedmont or Auburn
2) Beckendorff
3) Piedmont or Auburn
4) Solon
5) A IL team
6) Gelinas
7)A PA team
8) Questionable
9) Questionable
10) Questionable
Last edited by azuritemalachite on April 16th, 2015, 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azurite>malachite>chrysocolla
Come to Pangea today all around the globe. Our formal dinners are to die for! All dishes served on tectonic plates.
Don't be Angara that all the jokes are Gondwana.
PM any rock or mineral question! :arrow:

Return to “2015 Nationals”