Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0

Re: SWAPS

Post by samlan16 »

Jaol wrote:
samlan16 wrote: Yeah, just enough for a flash mob for the principal. :D
Quite so samlan16
Someone was so brilliant as to post it on Youtube. You have my sympathy.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Post by A Person »

You know, fountain pens were a pretty valuable swap last year. Anyone know of a team bringing any?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

samlan16 wrote:
Jaol wrote:
samlan16 wrote: Yeah, just enough for a flash mob for the principal. :D
Quite so samlan16
Someone was so brilliant as to post it on Youtube. You have my sympathy.
HAHA!
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

I don't usually get to see what all goes on during the swap meet because we are running the coaches meeting at the same time. However, I thought I might try a little experiment this year. I'll be carrying around some small trinkets from my place of employment, the Ohio Supercomputer Center while I'm at UNL on Friday and Saturday. Anyone who finds me at anytime and offers to trade anything at all can get one if they'd like (until supplies run out!).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sciolyboy123
Division: B
State: AL

Post by sciolyboy123 »

chalker wrote:I don't usually get to see what all goes on during the swap meet because we are running the coaches meeting at the same time. However, I thought I might try a little experiment this year. I'll be carrying around some small trinkets from my place of employment, the Ohio Supercomputer Center while I'm at UNL on Friday and Saturday. Anyone who finds me at anytime and offers to trade anything at all can get one if they'd like (until supplies run out!).
How can I identify who you are? I would love to meet you.
2014-15 Season
(Hooch,Dodgen, Regionals, State, Nats)
Bio-Process Lab(3rd,5th,-,3rd,14th ;) )
Disease Detectives (1st,5th,1st,1st,10th 8-) )
Crave The Wave (2nd,-,-,-,-)
Experimental Design (-,1st, 4th,-,-)
Picture This (4th,6th, 1st, 4th,48th :oops: )
Simple Machines (1st,n/a, 1st, n/a)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

sciolyboy123 wrote:
chalker wrote:I don't usually get to see what all goes on during the swap meet because we are running the coaches meeting at the same time. However, I thought I might try a little experiment this year. I'll be carrying around some small trinkets from my place of employment, the Ohio Supercomputer Center while I'm at UNL on Friday and Saturday. Anyone who finds me at anytime and offers to trade anything at all can get one if they'd like (until supplies run out!).
That's part of the challenge I guess;) Here's a pic of me: https://osc.edu/staff/alan-chalker I typically wear black jeans and a black SO polo on tournament days so I blend in somewhat when I'm moving around the stage sides and backs during the awards ceremony. I'll be walking around campus during the day checking on various events.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
aditi
Division: B
State: PA

Post by aditi »

chalker wrote:
sciolyboy123 wrote:
That's part of the challenge I guess;) Here's a pic of me: https://osc.edu/staff/alan-chalker I typically wear black jeans and a black SO polo on tournament days so I blend in somewhat when I'm moving around the stage sides and backs during the awards ceremony. I'll be walking around campus during the day checking on various events.
Ooh! Okay I'll keep that in mind! :P
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

chalker wrote:
sciolyboy123 wrote:
Cool I'll keep a lookout.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Alright, prepare for another extremely long post (possibly longer than the one I posted in the video game thread Friday night, but let's see how this goes...).

So last night, I was on IRC talking to someone, when the topic of our conversation shifted to the swap meet at nationals. When asked about what trades I made, I certainly can't say much. I only managed to trade with two people (see the Meetup thread for details as to why this is). So yeah, I had traded a few things with SOnerd, and then at the very end while everyone was leaving, I ran into someone else who really wanted to get rid of something quickly. What did they want to get rid of you might ask? Why, it was a documentary entitled "Ken Hechler: In Pursuit of Justice" (OMG I KNOW, who wants license plates anyway!). Now, being a nice person (and also because I kind of wanted to be able to say that I traded with more than one person), I was willing to trade for it. And since I am still nice, I wasn't going to force them into trading it for a can of corn or some sand from the shores of Lake Michigan. In fact, I went right ahead and offered them a bag of petoskey stones for it (now, this offer was met with the usual "Uh, what?", to which I just said "Get them wet and bring them to the Fossils kids on your team"). So if it wasn't clear already, I had the short end of the stick in this trade, so naturally they accepted it. And off I went with my dream DVD...yeah, let's just say that this was something that was still in my suitcase a couple of weeks ago when I finally finished cleaning it out.

But what's strange is that it wasn't until just last night when I realized that this wasn't the first time I got some weird, obscure DVD out of the swap meet. In 2013, I traded with my own teammate for another stupid, random DVD. I had shelled out a bunch of stuff for a T-shirt which I later realized was completely and utterly dumb, and he had traded who knows what for the DVD, so on the bus back to the hotel, we traded the two with each other so we wouldn't have to live with our stupid trading mistakes. So why am I so talented at getting random DVDs from the swap meet? Well, I think a better question is who brought them? When thinking about what things people would want from Michigan, I don't think of some DVD from Goodwill (but then again, I am also not the swap meet champion by a long shot...).

Now, I don't know why I am going to do this (maybe I am just trying to entertain all of you people), but I am going to go ahead and watch this documentary...can't wait...

Now, before I even think about removing this DVD case from its protective covering (yeah, mint condition right here), I think the most important question here must be addressed, oh what was it...oh yeah; Who is Ken Hechler? "Kenneth William "Ken" Hechler (born September 20, 1914) is an American politician. A member of the Democratic Party, he represented West Virginia in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1959 to 1977 and was West Virginia Secretary of State from 1985 to 2001. He is currently the oldest living person to have served in the United States Congress." (thanks wikipedia...). Boy oh boy, every second I spend thinking about watching a political documentary, I am filled with more and more...excitement...so let's just jump into this, shall we?

The DVD case's cover declares it as "A film by Russ Barbour & Chip Hitchcock (I know, THEE Russ Barbour and THEE Chip Hitchcock? The excitement only builds...). It also describes itself as "A cooperative production of the Ken Hechler Documentary, LLC and Marshall University- wait, Marshall University? Well, I guess even if I am extremely bored by this documentary, at least I will be able to say I got something from West Virginia...(a political documentary from West Virginia...the excitement is too much already, so let's just get this started...).

Oh, well if you look at that, the case broke when I opened it...and the documentary starts with a video of him rallying in front of coal miners...what did I expect from a West Virginian political documentary?

Alright, just finished up the first one-hour part. Whereas it was not as utterly boring as I was fearing, I will say that it wasn't the most interesting thing I could have done with the past hour.

Ah geez, it's already 8. Ehhhh, sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get around to the second disc. There's still some other stuff I need to get around to tonight, and I just can't neglect those things (I know, I too am disappointed that I won't get around to the second hour...).
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

John Richardsim wrote:Alright, prepare for another extremely long post (possibly longer than the one I posted in the video game thread Friday night, but let's see how this goes...).

So last night, I was on IRC talking to someone, when the topic of our conversation shifted to the swap meet at nationals. When asked about what trades I made, I certainly can't say much. I only managed to trade with two people (see the Meetup thread for details as to why this is). So yeah, I had traded a few things with SOnerd, and then at the very end while everyone was leaving, I ran into someone else who really wanted to get rid of something quickly. What did they want to get rid of you might ask? Why, it was a documentary entitled "Ken Hechler: In Pursuit of Justice" (OMG I KNOW, who wants license plates anyway!). Now, being a nice person (and also because I kind of wanted to be able to say that I traded with more than one person), I was willing to trade for it. And since I am still nice, I wasn't going to force them into trading it for a can of corn or some sand from the shores of Lake Michigan. In fact, I went right ahead and offered them a bag of petoskey stones for it (now, this offer was met with the usual "Uh, what?", to which I just said "Get them wet and bring them to the Fossils kids on your team"). So if it wasn't clear already, I had the short end of the stick in this trade, so naturally they accepted it. And off I went with my dream DVD...yeah, let's just say that this was something that was still in my suitcase a couple of weeks ago when I finally finished cleaning it out.

But what's strange is that it wasn't until just last night when I realized that this wasn't the first time I got some weird, obscure DVD out of the swap meet. In 2013, I traded with my own teammate for another stupid, random DVD. I had shelled out a bunch of stuff for a T-shirt which I later realized was completely and utterly dumb, and he had traded who knows what for the DVD, so on the bus back to the hotel, we traded the two with each other so we wouldn't have to live with our stupid trading mistakes. So why am I so talented at getting random DVDs from the swap meet? Well, I think a better question is who brought them? When thinking about what things people would want from Michigan, I don't think of some DVD from Goodwill (but then again, I am also not the swap meet champion by a long shot...).

Now, I don't know why I am going to do this (maybe I am just trying to entertain all of you people), but I am going to go ahead and watch this documentary...can't wait...

Now, before I even think about removing this DVD case from its protective covering (yeah, mint condition right here), I think the most important question here must be addressed, oh what was it...oh yeah; Who is Ken Hechler? "Kenneth William "Ken" Hechler (born September 20, 1914) is an American politician. A member of the Democratic Party, he represented West Virginia in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1959 to 1977 and was West Virginia Secretary of State from 1985 to 2001. He is currently the oldest living person to have served in the United States Congress." (thanks wikipedia...). Boy oh boy, every second I spend thinking about watching a political documentary, I am filled with more and more...excitement...so let's just jump into this, shall we?

The DVD case's cover declares it as "A film by Russ Barbour & Chip Hitchcock (I know, THEE Russ Barbour and THEE Chip Hitchcock? The excitement only builds...). It also describes itself as "A cooperative production of the Ken Hechler Documentary, LLC and Marshall University- wait, Marshall University? Well, I guess even if I am extremely bored by this documentary, at least I will be able to say I got something from West Virginia...(a political documentary from West Virginia...the excitement is too much already, so let's just get this started...).

Oh, well if you look at that, the case broke when I opened it...and the documentary starts with a video of him rallying in front of coal miners...what did I expect from a West Virginian political documentary?

Alright, just finished up the first one-hour part. Whereas it was not as utterly boring as I was fearing, I will say that it wasn't the most interesting thing I could have done with the past hour.

Ah geez, it's already 8. Ehhhh, sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get around to the second disc. There's still some other stuff I need to get around to tonight, and I just can't neglect those things (I know, I too am disappointed that I won't get around to the second hour...).
10/10
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Return to “2015 Nationals”