MIT Invitational 2015

Area to advertise for your competitions!
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

MIT Invitational 2015

Post by Luo »

I'm very excited to announce that the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) will host its first-ever Division C invitational tournament on Saturday, January 24, 2015. Our website is now live at scioly.mit.edu. Registration will open in September, and we hope that our field of competitors will include the strongest teams in the northeastern U.S., coming from as far away as Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Denizens of scioly.org, please let your coaches know about this new tournament!

The tournament will be run entirely by MIT students who are alumni and former captains of the most successful high school Science Olympiad programs in the country, including Solon, Fayetteville-Manlius, and West Windsor-Plainsboro South.

A few distinguishing features of our tournament that we think you'll like:
  • We will run all 23 national events and mirror the 2015 national tournament event conflicts as closely as possible.
  • All events will be written, reviewed, or run by Science Olympiad alumni currently at MIT. This means that coaches will not be required to write tests or volunteer at the invitational, leaving them free to focus solely on coaching their own teams.
  • As former national-level competitors who have been to our fair share of invitationals (including volunteering behind-the-scenes at four tournaments this past year), we will synthesize the best elements of each competition we've experienced to run our tournament with brutal efficiency.
  • Competitors will get a chance to see the beauty and craziness of MIT with campus tours on competition day. We are always happy to answer your questions about MIT admissions, college admissions in general, MIT life, or college life in general.
I hope to see you all in January! We hope that the MIT invitational tournament will be excellent practice for teams as they prepare for their state competitions later in the spring.

Any questions, please feel free to email scioly [at] mit [dot] edu. Keep checking scioly.mit.edu for updates!
Last edited by Luo on May 28th, 2014, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
nxtscholar
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invitational 2015

Post by nxtscholar »

And somewhere in CA, I think Caltech is scheming a way to crash the invite :P

But on a more serious note, I was wondering exactly what you think the projected registration fees will be. While I am extremely interested in coming, the cold reality of costs is keeping my enthusiasm in check. I had the privilege to go to MIT for InvenTeam. It cost a substantial fee to travel up north to MIT from New Jersey. So, I was wondering what the financial aspect of this invite is at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind. I read the site. So the $100 fee per team is set in stone?
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

nxtscholar wrote:And somewhere in CA, I think Caltech is scheming a way to crash the invite :P

But on a more serious note, I was wondering exactly what you think the projected registration fees will be. While I am extremely interested in coming, the cold reality of costs is keeping my enthusiasm in check. I had the privilege to go to MIT for InvenTeam. It cost a substantial fee to travel up north to MIT from New Jersey. So, I was wondering what the financial aspect of this invite is at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind. I read the site. So the $100 fee per team is set in stone?
The registration fee for the MIT invitational tournament is $100 per team. We do not want the registration fee to prevent any team from participating in the MIT invitational tournament, so please email us at scioly [at] mit [dot] edu if the fee poses a hardship to your team for any reason.

Given that this is our first time hosting an invitational, there is considerable uncertainty regarding how many teams will register and how our budget will turn out, so $100 per team is a safe number (commensurate with the per-team registration fees charged by other invitationals around the country) to ensure that we have enough money to operate the tournament.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Do you think Solon and fayetville manlius will attend? because out schoold has been trying to hitch a ride on an invitational that includes them but we always end up going to less competitive invites.
Innovation =/= success
cifutielu
State: IL

Post by cifutielu »

This sounds like such a great idea! Too bad my team can't compete, we're all the way in Illinois :(. Hopefully Northwestern or UofChicago will have one next year (or at least Wisconsin-Madison still has theirs next year).
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

Don't see why not, we're planning to compete there and we're farther away :D
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

chinesesushi wrote:Don't see why not, we're planning to compete there and we're farther away :D
Are you an enlisted member of Caltech, mind set on disturbing the invitational with fireworks and sprinkles?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

No, but I wish I was XD
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

Bazinga+ wrote:Do you think Solon and fayetville manlius will attend? because out schoold has been trying to hitch a ride on an invitational that includes them but we always end up going to less competitive invites.
As you can see on our About Us page, our planning committee includes an alumnus of Solon Science Olympiad as well as an alumnus of Fayetteville-Manlius Science Olympiad. I don't know whether either of those teams will be at the MIT invitational, but we're hoping they will be! If you're trying to coordinate invitationals with them, why don't you contact their coaches? I doubt they would try to keep the schedules a secret, and it benefits everyone to have a more competitive field of teams at the invitational.
ak12
Division: B
State: PA

Post by ak12 »

Do you ever plan on making a Division B invitational? We would love to attend that, if it ever comes into being.
2013 States: Exp Des-3rd, Road-5th
2014 States: Exp Design-3rd
2014 Nats: Crime-5th, WIDI-9th, Exp Des-10th
2015 States: Crime-2nd, Disease-2nd, Exp Des-1st
2016 Nats: Bio-Process-1st, WIDI-6th, Exp Des-10th, Crime-11th

Return to “2015 Competition Advertising”