MIT Invitational 2015

Area to advertise for your competitions!
itsnotjustrocks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invitational 2015

Post by itsnotjustrocks »

Culturallyscience,I've only heard boasting that we got to go. I have heard not one nayseyer. except for my friend who I hit right before he said 'no!" but his fault cause he was in the way of the direction of the trajectory of the snowball that was already in motion and heading his way before he said no. I was naysaying when I couldn't find the bathroom but then I found it in time. Next year maybe they can offer two invitationals at MIT so both divisions get to go. Wouldn't it be cool to have states there too. Also some of us were glad they bothered to postpone events 30 minutes so nobody got messed up due to the storm. Sometimes they just make the tournament shorter by taking out stuff and that is a drag when it is your event dumped. Even in the storm they ran every event which is pretty amazing.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Selected photographs from the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament have been posted at http://scioly.mit.edu/final-results/. Thank you to Staly Chin and Victor Hung for photo-documenting the day!
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
aditi
Division: B
State: PA

Post by aditi »

Luo wrote:Selected photographs from the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament have been posted at http://scioly.mit.edu/final-results/. Thank you to Staly Chin and Victor Hung for photo-documenting the day!
Luo,

I'm part of a Division B team. We would be thrilled if there was an MIT Invitational next year for Division B! MIT did a great job running the invitational. I'm sure that the invitational was awesome, but it would truly be amazing if the invitational could extend to Division B.

Thanks!
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

Thank you for letting us know of your interest. We are aware of considerable demand for an MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament for Division B, and our planning committee is actively considering ways to expand our reach and enhance the Science Olympiad experience of as many students as possible without sacrificing quality. It is important to note that the "carrying capacity" of MIT facilities is 60-70 teams, so holding a Division B invitational would require halving the number of teams to ~30 per division or holding a Division B invitational on a separate day.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

We're proud to announce that the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament was featured on the Scientific American website today at http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/fro ... on-part-1/. Dr. Dustin Schroeder, the Astronomy event supervisor and keynote speaker at the MIT invitational, along with Dr. Susannah Burrows, volunteer for Dynamic Planet at the MIT invitational, were interviewed for the article. I find that it is often difficult for outsiders of Science Olympiad to really appreciate the crucible for development that Science Olympiad is, and I think this article takes a great stab at communicating the profound impact that Science Olympiad can have, and has had, on people like us.
boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

blakinator8 wrote:I agree, it was really a well-run tournament (despite a fire alarm or two) and we had a pretty great snowball fight (snow's still exciting for us in TX). Also, who can we contact to get the photos from the tournament and award ceremony?
I remember that. Funniest thing ever. I felt a little bad for the people who left their jackets inside, though. (spoiled SoCal kid here, haha)
It didn't end up hurting us too much, though. If I'm not mistaken, around four (give or take) of the six schools that medaled were testing in that slot. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yciao
Division: C
State: UT

Post by yciao »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but is MIT planning on hosting another invitational open to all schools in 2016?
Current Events: Entomology // Geologic Mapping // Fossils

2011 Ornithology // Fossils // Optics
2012: Water Quality // Forestry
2013: Water Quality // Forestry
2014: Water Quality // Entomology // Geologic Mapping

C Division Varsity Captain. Ask me anything about the events I've done! :D
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

yciao wrote:Sorry for reviving an old thread, but is MIT planning on hosting another invitational open to all schools in 2016?
What's wrong with reviving an old thread? (It might take a while to get a response, though; Luo isn't as active anymore) Either way, I hope there is; I've never been to an invitational in the Northeast.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

yciao wrote:Sorry for reviving an old thread, but is MIT planning on hosting another invitational open to all schools in 2016?
The goal of Science Olympiad at MIT is to host another Division C invitational in early 2016. If and when a date is set, we will be sure to announce it on scioly.org.
Buckstops
Division: B

Post by Buckstops »

Sounds like Division C only for next year. We B division coaches and teams have not given up in our quest for for a B division MIT invite. Perhaps you could make it a true "invitational" by extending invitations to this year' top National finishers (with a back up list if some are unable to attend) and perhaps 2 local teams. You could run 1 block along side the C Division for most events, and many of the tests would only require minimal modifications. Please consider it - don't write us off yet.
Buckstops
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn"

Return to “2015 Competition Advertising”